Kona OB Hardtail frame sizes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Rob Martinson, Mar 19, 2003.

  1. Cyclers..

    I'm about to order a new Kona Roast and am looking for opinions on frame size from existing Kona
    hardtail riders.

    I'm coming from a 17" XC rig. I generally do more bombing around and trials type riding than
    anything else but I need to be able to hit the trails and do some distance with my wife every once
    in a while. I'm really considering going with a 15.5 (Kona's medium) instead of the 17, for trials
    happiness. I'm about 5'11" 180lbs or so and looking for opinions from others that have a Kona OB
    frame or similar.

    Thanks ahead of time...

    Rob

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Rob Martinson wrote:
    > Cyclers..
    >
    > I'm about to order a new Kona Roast and am looking for opinions on frame size from existing Kona
    > hardtail riders.
    >
    > I'm coming from a 17" XC rig. I generally do more bombing around and trials type riding than
    > anything else but I need to be able to hit the trails and do some distance with my wife every once
    > in a while. I'm really considering going with a 15.5 (Kona's medium) instead of the 17, for trials
    > happiness. I'm about 5'11" 180lbs or so and looking for opinions from others that have a Kona OB
    > frame or similar.

    I'm 5'9" and ride a 17" Kona. I think the 15.5" would be too small for you - the 17" should still be
    fine for mucking about on if you drop the saddle.

  3. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    "I'm 5'9" and ride a 17" Kona. I think the 15.5" would be too small for you - the 17" should still be

    yep - same.
    I'm 6' on a 17" Kona Stinky. Perfect size.:D

  4. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    bomba wrote:

    > Rob Martinson wrote:
    > > Cyclers..
    > >
    > > I'm about to order a new Kona Roast and am looking for opinions on frame size from existing Kona
    > > hardtail riders.
    > >
    > > I'm coming from a 17" XC rig. I generally do more bombing around and trials type riding than
    > > anything else but I need to be able to hit the trails and do some distance with my wife every
    > > once in a while. I'm really considering going with a 15.5 (Kona's medium) instead of the 17, for
    > > trials happiness. I'm about 5'11" 180lbs or so and looking for opinions from others that have a
    > > Kona OB frame or similar.
    >
    > I'm 5'9" and ride a 17" Kona. I think the 15.5" would be too small for you - the 17" should still
    > be fine for mucking about on if you drop the saddle.
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

    I have a Kona Stuff. I am 6' and have the 18". I would reccomend getting the 17". I have plenty of
    standover for fooling around on jumps but the frame is large enough that I am able to ride XC on it
    when I want to.

    Jimbo(san)

  5. bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Rob Martinson wrote:
    > > Cyclers..
    > >
    > > I'm about to order a new Kona Roast and am looking for opinions on frame size from existing Kona
    > > hardtail riders.
    > >
    > > I'm coming from a 17" XC rig. I generally do more bombing around and trials type riding than
    > > anything else but I need to be able to hit the trails and do some distance with my wife every
    > > once in a while. I'm really considering going with a 15.5 (Kona's medium) instead of the 17, for
    > > trials happiness. I'm about 5'11" 180lbs or so and looking for opinions from others that have a
    > > Kona OB frame or similar.
    >
    > I'm 5'9" and ride a 17" Kona. I think the 15.5" would be too small for you - the 17" should still
    > be fine for mucking about on if you drop the saddle.

    Normally I would agree with you, but in this particular instance I think Kona has some strange frame
    sizing on their OB hardtails and I think geometry has changed.

    For example, last year (2002) Roast frames were available as:

    13, 15, 17, 18, 19 (Geometry is here: http://www.konaworld.com/geometry_size.pdf)

    This year(2003) sizes are:

    13, 15, 15.5, 17,17.5

    with 15.5 being the medium (and the one I am interested in).

    2003 Geometry is viewable here: http://www.konaworld.com/kw_index.cfm

    It looks to me like what they did is reduce the standover height on their medium so the frame is now
    designated as a 15.5 instead of a 17, but the overall geometry is similar to last year's 17. Just
    wanted a confirmation.

    Thanks for any help...

    Rob