Kona Smoke and/or Dew - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by Powerful Pete, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

I am shopping for two nice city/commuter bikes, with which I would like to go riding with the wife and kids (in a trailer, but that will be another thread :D ).

Came across the Kona Smoke, which seems to be a rather nice bike for the 400-ish Euro that it costs here in Italy. Any comments (positive or negative) on this particular model (and/or Kona bikes in general?).

I would be using it for relaxing rides with the family (so, 1 for me and 1 for the wife) and I would be pulling a Burley-type trailer with the kids in it.

Any other suggestions? Am also looking at the Bianchi Sport line, but those go for about +100 Euro for each bike.

Funny how I spend thousands of Euro on racing bikes and know next to nothing about these 'city' models... :confused:

Tags:

2. clayface

clayface New Member

>>Came across the Kona Smoke, which seems to be a rather nice bike for the 400-ish Euro that it costs here in Italy. Any comments (positive or negative) on this particular model (and/or Kona bikes in general?).

I've been riding a 98 Kona Kilauea mtb for some years now. Mine is set up as a tourer/all rounder (drop bars, bar end shifters, P2 rigid forks...) without probs. The frame is Reynolds 631 steel...something of the past beacuse Kona dropped steel for most of their top frames a few years back.
    The Dr Dew has just been chosen city bike of the year by Cycling Plus magazine, and this means top marks (at least for me... :)

Roberto
    Canary Islands