Kona Stinky

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Fabio, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Fabio

    Fabio Guest

    Hallo to all the Newsgroup have you some opinions about this bike? in italy is solded for 1800 euros
    end for my idea of mountain biking ( escursion with possibility of enjoy in the downhill parts of
    the trip ) I like this type of bike, weight apart! Thanks in advance for the aswers end excuse me
    for my poor english. Ciao. Fabio Italy

    Tags:

  2. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "Fabio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hallo to all the Newsgroup have you some opinions about this bike? in italy is solded for 1800
    > euros end for my idea of mountain biking ( escursion with possibility of enjoy in the downhill
    > parts of the trip ) I like this type of bike, weight apart! Thanks in advance for the aswers end
    > excuse me for my poor english. Ciao. Fabio Italy

    I have a 2001 Stinky and love it. If you are looking for a confidence inspiring bike for downhill
    situations, it's a great choice. As a matter of fact, I can say it has built my confidence overall
    in any riding situation. Mine also climbs quite well; you won't win any climbing races however, but
    if you are looking for an all around, do it all, take it anywhere trail bike, it just may be a good
    choice for you.

  3. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Fabio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hallo to all the Newsgroup have you some opinions about this bike? in italy is solded for 1800
    > euros end for my idea of mountain biking ( escursion with possibility of enjoy in the downhill
    > parts of the trip ) I like this type of bike, weight apart! Thanks in advance for the aswers end
    > excuse me for my poor english.

    It's a piece of crap, just like all kona bikes.

    JD

  4. Fabio wrote:
    > Hallo to all the Newsgroup have you some opinions about this bike? in italy is solded for 1800
    > euros end for my idea of mountain biking ( escursion with possibility of enjoy in the downhill
    > parts of the trip ) I like this type of bike, weight apart! Thanks in advance for the aswers end
    > excuse me for my poor english. Ciao. Fabio Italy

    My friend rides a stinky, and does massive drops on it. Like, 20 foot drops, plus some dirt jumping,
    plus some jumping off the top of school buildings. Yeah, its pretty tough.

    I think i'd get something a little lighter tho if you're planning on riding it up too. Its a pretty
    burly bike for something to "enjoy in the downhill parts", its more a "rock the downhill, suffer
    like mad on the climb" bike. Look for something with maybe 5" of travel, that should eb more than
    enough to make the downhills "enjoyable" (hell, I like 'em on my hardtail..), and if you want extra
    squish, put some gazzaloddis on there or some other massively big tire.

    Jon Bond

  5. Jonathan Bond wrote:
    > Fabio wrote:
    >
    >> Hallo to all the Newsgroup have you some opinions about this bike? in italy is solded for 1800
    >> euros end for my idea of mountain biking ( escursion with possibility of enjoy in the downhill
    >> parts of the trip ) I like this type of bike, weight apart! Thanks in advance for the aswers end
    >> excuse me for my poor english. Ciao. Fabio Italy
    >>

    > My friend rides a stinky, and does massive drops on it. Like, 20 foot drops, plus some dirt
    > jumping, plus some jumping off the top of school buildings. Yeah, its pretty tough.
    >
    > I think i'd get something a little lighter tho if you're planning on riding it up too. Its a
    > pretty burly bike for something to "enjoy in the downhill parts", its more a "rock the downhill,
    > suffer like mad on the climb" bike. Look for something with maybe 5" of travel, that should eb
    > more than enough to make the downhills "enjoyable" (hell, I like 'em on my hardtail..), and if you
    > want extra squish, put some gazzaloddis on there or some other massively big tire.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    oh yeah, his bike is pretty modified, though. Shiver DCs, burlier parts, etc. And he's looking for a
    DH rig with more travel, so he can race it better.

    Jon Bond

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Fabio wrote:
    > > Hallo to all the Newsgroup have you some opinions about this bike? in italy is solded for 1800
    > > euros end for my idea of mountain biking ( escursion with possibility of enjoy in the downhill
    > > parts of the trip )
    > > like this type of bike, weight apart! Thanks in advance for the aswers end excuse me for my poor
    > > english. Ciao. Fabio Italy
    > >

    > My friend rides a stinky, and does massive drops on it. Like, 20 foot drops, plus some dirt
    > jumping, plus some jumping off the top of school buildings. Yeah, its pretty tough.
    >
    > I think i'd get something a little lighter tho if you're planning on riding it up too. Its a
    > pretty burly bike for something to "enjoy in the downhill parts", its more a "rock the downhill,
    > suffer like mad on the climb" bike. Look for something with maybe 5" of travel, that should eb
    > more than enough to make the downhills "enjoyable" (hell, I like 'em on my hardtail..),

    > and if you want extra squish, put some gazzaloddis on there or some other massively big tire.

    Ding! ',;~}

    Shaun aRe

  7. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    Ding. Yeah - good come back. Right up there with JD.

    I've got a '03 Stinky. I wasn't looking at getting one but the time came and the other choices fell thru.
    The bike is an inspiration. You can even go uphill!!
    I ride DH/NS mainly and the bike never faults.
    My bike is stock but triples are on the way....:D

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > > Ding! ',;~} Shaun aRe
    >

    > Ding. Yeah - good come back. Right up there with JD.

    Comeback? You really shouldn't comment on stuff yer ignorant about. Try doing an a.m-b google search
    on Nokian Gazzaloddis and Shaun Rimmer. Silly

    > I've got a '03 Stinky.

    I'm sure lots of people have shit this year, though most will have wiped and flushed after.

    > I wasn't looking at getting one but the time came and the other choices fell thru. The bike is an
    > inspiration. You can even go uphill!!

    OoooOOOO! That's amazing that!

    I've got an 01/02 BASE hardtail framed (only about 200 made, so, it's dead posh!) bike that I built
    up myself, that weighs about 36 lb all-in. Sheesh, I wish my bike could go up hills too.

    Shaun aRe - Guess what tyres I'm running? Heheheheheh...........

  10. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002

  11. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Bomba roKeMS wrote:
    > > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > > > Ding! ',;~} Shaun aRe
    > >

    > > Ding. Yeah - good come back. Right up there with JD.
    >
    > Think you'll find he was endorsing the comment about the Gadzaloddi's.
    >
    > looking for someone who cares....

    About you? You're in for a long search, heheheheheh ',;~}

    Shaun aRe - I take it you've tried the lonely hearts?

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by "Shaun Rimmer" roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > s.chariot.net.aunews:[email protected]
    > > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > > > Ding! ',;~} Shaun aRe
    > >

    > > Ding. Yeah - good come back. Right up there with JD.
    >
    >" Comeback? You really shouldn't comment on stuff yer ignorant about. Try doing an a.m-b google
    >search on Nokian Gazzaloddis and Shaun Rimmer. Silly"
    >
    > I didn't realise you were dating....

    I'm engaged to be married, what would I care if you realised? Heheheheh.......

    > > I've got a '03 Stinky.
    >
    > "I'm sure lots of people have shit this year, though most will have wiped and flushed after."
    >
    > Yeah you'd know Mr'GruffNuts

    Ahhh, poor ickle rockums is all thinking I'm being all gruff - I'm sooo naughty!

    > > I wasn't looking at getting one but the time came and the other choices fell thru. The bike is
    > > an inspiration. You can even go uphill!!
    >
    > OoooOOOO! That's amazing that!
    >
    > Yeah you wouldn't read about it

    ?WTF?

    > I've got an 01/02 BASE hardtail framed (only about 200 made, so, it's dead posh!) bike that I
    > built up myself, that weighs about 36 lb all-in. Sheesh, I wish my bike could go up hills too.
    >
    > Yeah unlike your wit which is downhill

    You are already sliced, diced, and shredded by my wit - you're in no fit state to
    authoritatively comment.

    > Shaun aRe - Guess what tyres I'm running? Heheheheheh...........
    >
    > uh - round ones??

    LOL! You made me 'LOL!' with *your* wit - it is far superior to mine Mr. big rockums!

    Shaun aRe

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > roKeMS wrote:
    > > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > > > Ding! ',;~} Shaun aRe
    > >

    > > Ding. Yeah - good come back. Right up there with JD.
    >
    > Think you'll find he was endorsing the comment about the Gadzaloddi's.

    Ya see, stoopit though he is, Bomba at least pays some attention.

    Shaun aRe

  15. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Fabio wrote:
    > > Hallo to all the Newsgroup have you some opinions about this bike? in italy is solded for 1800
    > > euros end for my idea of mountain biking ( escursion with possibility of enjoy in the downhill
    > > parts of the trip ) I like this type of bike, weight apart! Thanks in advance for the aswers end
    > > excuse me for my poor english. Ciao. Fabio Italy
    > >

    > My friend rides a stinky, and does massive drops on it. Like, 20 foot drops, plus some dirt
    > jumping, plus some jumping off the top of school buildings. Yeah, its pretty tough.
    >
    > I think i'd get something a little lighter tho if you're planning on riding it up too. Its a
    > pretty burly bike for something to "enjoy in the downhill parts", its more a "rock the downhill,
    > suffer like mad on the climb" bike.

    I don't suffer in the least climbing with my Stinky; in fact, I think it climbs quite well.

    >Look for something with maybe 5" of travel,

    My 2001 has 5 inches of travel front and rear. The 2003's have 6, but what's an inch of travel?

    > should eb more than enough to make the downhills "enjoyable" (hell, I like 'em on my hardtail..),
    > and if you want extra squish, put some gazzaloddis on there or some other massively big tire.
    >
    > Jon Bond

  16. Teague

    Teague Guest

    I find the stinky is an excellent bike for multiple uses and a great bike to progress with. I just
    recently built up a 2000 Stinky Dee Lux frame myself. However the great thing about Stinkys are
    that you can taylor them to the style of riding you like best. I wanted something that could handle
    anything from XC to DH to freeriding so I put a marzocchi Z1 freeride up front with the best mix of
    strong/light componentry I could get for my money, but if you want to build/rebuild yours up to
    handle bigger drops and steeper descents you can buy some BETD or Dangerboy plates to increase the
    rear travel from 5" to 6-7" and buy a triple crown fork for the front end. You can build your bike
    up as anything from a strong XC machine to a full on freeride monster. While some people hate the
    fact that they are mass produced and can be found all over the place, I find the sheer number of
    these bikes create great opportunities to buy used. I got my frame in excellent condition for 350
    US (Easton RAD tubing, vanilla RC, FSA headset and Shimano XT BB included :) Bottom line, I'd go
    for one if you can find a good deal because it's a very versatile and economical bike to play
    around with.

    Teague (@u.washington.edu) Powell

  17. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    Do you have websites for BETD and Dangerboy>>?

    Thankx

  18. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "roKeMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Teague wrote:
    > > but if you want to build/rebuild yours up to handle bigger drops and steeper descents you can
    > > buy some BETD or Dangerboy plates to increase the rear travel from 5" to 6-7" and buy a
    > > triple crown fork for the front end.
    >

    > Do you have websites for BETD and Dangerboy>>?
    >
    > Thankx

    http://www.betd.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html

    http://dangerboycnc.com -- I might be wrong on this, but I thought that I heard something about
    Danger going out of business, so I would give them a quick phone call/email to verify they're up and
    running. I read too many newsgroups, so IIRC.

    --
    Slacker

  19. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

  20. Teague

    Teague Guest

    BETD offers a plate to allow both 5" and 6" of rear travel, it varies depending on what year stinky
    frame you're riding. http://www.betd.co.uk/suspension.htm

    Dangerboy offers a slightly different plate with 6" and 7" options for rear travel.
    http://www.dangerboycnc.com/

    However you should definitely read the fine print since in order to run the maximum amount of rear
    travel using either plate, you might have to use a 24" wheel instead of the standard 26" in order to
    avoid the rear tire coming in contact with the seat collar or some part of the frame.

    And if you're wondering if an extra inch or two will make a difference. Yes, it will make a
    noticeable difference. The new plates change not only the amount of travel, but the BB height,
    overall geometry and shock behavior. Hope this helps. -Teague