kool-stop brake shoes for single pivot brake

autopi

Guest
i have an old dia-compe single pivot front brake--the kind you see on
all the old steel road bikes. anyway, i'm overhauling my bike and was
thinking about replacing the brake shoes with salmon kool stops. the
originals still have a good amount of life in them, but all the talk on
here has got my interest piqued. so i looked at the harris webpage
(http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html) and the shoes i have
right now resemble the kool stop continental (about 1/3 of the way down
the page.) but the "mountain salmon", "supra" and "eagle" all look way
niftier--can i use those on my brake? they don't have the metal holder
thingies like the shoes i have right now, but then neither does the
continental.

i use fenders, if that make any difference. also, this is for my fixed
gear, and it's the only brake i have--so i'd like it to be pretty good.

thanks for any advice!

autopi wrote:
> i have an old dia-compe single pivot front brake--the kind you see on
> all the old steel road bikes. anyway, i'm overhauling my bike and was
> thinking about replacing the brake shoes with salmon kool stops. the
> originals still have a good amount of life in them, but all the talk on
> here has got my interest piqued. so i looked at the harris webpage
> (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html) and the shoes i have
> right now resemble the kool stop continental (about 1/3 of the way down
> the page.) but the "mountain salmon", "supra" and "eagle" all look way
> niftier--can i use those on my brake? they don't have the metal holder
> thingies like the shoes i have right now, but then neither does the
> continental.

I am using the Eagle 2s on my old dia-compe single pivots. I have
another old steel bike on which I tried them but they hit the fork leg
which is thicker than on the first bike. So I got some slimlines for
that bike. I did not know about the continentals at that time - I
guess that might have been a better choice.

On 9 Jan 2007 17:37:05 -0800, "autopi" <[email protected]> wrote:

>i have an old dia-compe single pivot front brake--the kind you see on
>all the old steel road bikes. anyway, i'm overhauling my bike and was
>thinking about replacing the brake shoes with salmon kool stops. the
>originals still have a good amount of life in them, but all the talk on
>here has got my interest piqued. so i looked at the harris webpage
>(http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html) and the shoes i have
>right now resemble the kool stop continental (about 1/3 of the way down
>the page.) but the "mountain salmon", "supra" and "eagle" all look way
>niftier--can i use those on my brake? they don't have the metal holder
>thingies like the shoes i have right now, but then neither does the
>continental.

Sometimes with the longer shoes, like Eagle, there are problems with
the back of shoe hitting the fork blade. If the back of your
continentalesque pads would hit your forks if they were, say, about a
centimeter longer, you may have a problem.
--
JT
****************************

autopi wrote:
> (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html) and the shoes i have
> right now resemble the kool stop continental (about 1/3 of the way down
> the page.) but the "mountain salmon", "supra" and "eagle" all look way
> niftier--can i use those on my brake? they don't have the metal holder
> thingies like the shoes i have right now, but then neither does the
> continental.

The V-brake pads are larger to compensate for the different mechanical
advantage of that brake/lever system. This could result in excessive,
less controllable braking when used with conventional road levers and
calipers. There is also a risk of longer pads interfering with the
fork. Ultimately, you don't need pads any larger than what the brakes
were designed for. I would recommend either getting the Continentals or
going for the refillable Dura holders if you want some shiny bling.

On 10 Jan 2007 13:45:22 -0800, "amakyonin" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>autopi wrote:
>> (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html) and the shoes i have
>> right now resemble the kool stop continental (about 1/3 of the way down
>> the page.) but the "mountain salmon", "supra" and "eagle" all look way
>> niftier--can i use those on my brake? they don't have the metal holder
>> thingies like the shoes i have right now, but then neither does the
>> continental.

>The V-brake pads are larger to compensate for the different mechanical
>advantage of that brake/lever system. This could result in excessive,
>less controllable braking when used with conventional road levers and
>calipers.

I find this hard to believe. You simply pull less hard with bigger
pads.

> Ultimately, you don't need pads any larger than what the brakes

Maybe.
--
JT
****************************

amakyonin wrote:
> autopi wrote:
> > (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html) and the shoes i have
> > right now resemble the kool stop continental (about 1/3 of the way down
> > the page.) but the "mountain salmon", "supra" and "eagle" all look way
> > niftier--can i use those on my brake? they don't have the metal holder
> > thingies like the shoes i have right now, but then neither does the
> > continental.

> The V-brake pads are larger to compensate for the different mechanical
> advantage of that brake/lever system. This could result in excessive,
> less controllable braking when used with conventional road levers and
> calipers. There is also a risk of longer pads interfering with the
> fork. Ultimately, you don't need pads any larger than what the brakes
> were designed for.

In fact, you should never think for yourself at all. No matter what
you purchased, whoever made it knows more about it than you, and also
more about what you need than you, and also more about your operating
environment than you, and also has fitted out what you bought optimally
for all conditions. Therefore you should never modify your bike (or
motorcycle or car) in any way.

dkl

In fact, you should never think for yourself at all. No matter what
you purchased, whoever made it knows more about it than you, and also
more about what you need than you, and also more about your operating
environment than you, and also has fitted out what you bought optimally
for all conditions. Therefore you should never modify your bike (or
motorcycle or car) in any way.

Yes, lets make life as boring as possible!!

SW

Steve Watkin wrote:
> In fact, you should never think for yourself at all. No matter what
> you purchased, whoever made it knows more about it than you, and also
> more about what you need than you, and also more about your operating
> environment than you, and also has fitted out what you bought
> optimally for all conditions. Therefore you should never modify your
> bike (or motorcycle or car) in any way.

What are you talking about?

> Yes, lets make life as boring as possible!!

Done deal.