Kool Stop pads for '80s Sun Tour brakes

john

Guest
Hi there All

I have an 80's bike w/ 80's (I would guess) Sun Tour single pivot road
brakes. I want to replace the entire assembly of brake pad material &
holders for the front & rear brakes, w/ Kool Stop Salmon inserts &
holders. Does it make any difference weather I buy Campy or Shimano
holders? Are the stud diameters or the lateral spacing different?

BTW what are the correct terms to describe the inserts, holders, & the
combined assembly?

Thanks for any help, John

john wrote:

> I have an 80's bike w/ 80's (I would guess) Sun Tour single pivot road
> brakes. I want to replace the entire assembly of brake pad material &
> holders for the front & rear brakes, w/ Kool Stop Salmon inserts &
> holders.

The Kool Stop Continentals would be perfect for your bike. That's what
I use.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#continental

Art Harris

Art Harris wrote:
> john wrote:
>
> > I have an 80's bike w/ 80's (I would guess) Sun Tour single pivot road
> > brakes. I want to replace the entire assembly of brake pad material &
> > holders for the front & rear brakes, w/ Kool Stop Salmon inserts &
> > holders.

> The Kool Stop Continentals would be perfect for your bike. That's what
> I use.
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#continental
>
> Art Harris

I have an 80's bike with Shimano Dura Ace EX brakes. I bought the
Eagle 2 (no seperate pad and holder) with threaded posts, because the
tire guide is seperate on the EX brake. I looked at the Dura Holders
but they seemed like a lot of money.

I found them easy to align with the rims with the ball washer. Much
inproved braking over the stock, smaller shimano ones.

I use the terms 'pad' for for the rubber bit, 'holder' for the metal
bit, 'tire guide' for the angled thing to help get the wheel back in.
Others?

Forgot to mention that the stud diameter seemed the same, but the
thinkness of the pad was greater, obviously. As Art mentioned, you
might not have enough room for the long tail design, hence his
suggestion. The Dura model would also avoid that, but cost more $25 vs
$9.

Art Harris wrote:
> john wrote:
>
> > I have an 80's bike w/ 80's (I would guess) Sun Tour single pivot road
> > brakes. I want to replace the entire assembly of brake pad material &
> > holders for the front & rear brakes, w/ Kool Stop Salmon inserts &
> > holders.

> The Kool Stop Continentals would be perfect for your bike. That's what
> I use.
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#continental

Two packs on eBay for $8:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kool-Stop-Conti...ryZ48841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've bought from that store before, absolutely flawless and fast
service/shipping. When that auction ends, he'll put up some more.

I'm on my second year on a set--very durable, low wear, and quiet.

The salmons might stop a smidge better in the wet, but I can't really
tell much of a difference to be honest.

John wrote:

-snip-
>Does it make any difference weather I buy Campy or Shimano
>holders? Are the stud diameters or the lateral spacing different?

>BTW what are the correct terms to describe the inserts, holders, & the
>combined assembly?

>Thanks for any help, John

The only reason I favor the Campy or Shimano holders over the
Continentals, is due to the fin. To me, it does seem to make mounting
the wheel easer. I prefer 25mm or 28mm tires.

Thanks again, John

Landotter wrote:

-snip-
>The salmons might stop a smidge better in the wet, but I can't really
>tell much of a difference to be honest.

Back in the '80s when I first started using the Salmon pads in dry
conditions, they seemed to stop much better that any other pad
available. I've never bought new KS Black pads to compare. When many of
the posters here (rbt) say that the Black ones stop as well as the
Salmon, I believe them. They also say that the Salmons don't capture
debris, and I know that to be true from 1st hand experience. I've seen
rims prematurely ruined by embedded aluminum & debris, but never w/
salmon pads. The only time you'll see me ridding in the rain, is if I'm
caught out. I despise ridding in the rain on either a motorcycle or
bicycle.
Regardless, I'll choose the salmon pads. It's a no lose situation.

Regards, John

John Drew writes:

>> Does it make any difference weather I buy Campy or Shimano holders?
>> Are the stud diameters or the lateral spacing different?

>> BTW what are the correct terms to describe the inserts, holders, &
>> the combined assembly?

> The only reason I favor the Campy or Shimano holders over the
> Continentals, is due to the fin. To me, it does seem to make
> mounting the wheel easer. I prefer 25mm or 28mm tires.

All the 'fin' is there for is to prevent knocking the pad out of the
holder. In the early days of these brakes, before that feature was
added, some riders didn't see that they had knocked the pad out of the
holder and started a race with no brake. The Kool-Stop Continental
cannot be knocked out so it doesn't need a deflector. I find getting
the wheel in place no more cumbersome than with my old Campagnolo
pads. Besides, the Continental is less expensive.

Jobst Brandt

john wrote:
> John wrote:
>
> -snip-
> >Does it make any difference weather I buy Campy or Shimano
> >holders? Are the stud diameters or the lateral spacing different?

> >BTW what are the correct terms to describe the inserts, holders, & the
> >combined assembly?

> >Thanks for any help, John

> The only reason I favor the Campy or Shimano holders over the
> Continentals, is due to the fin. To me, it does seem to make mounting
> the wheel easer. I prefer 25mm or 28mm tires.

I'm lucky, my old 600 calipers have the little wire tire guides that
fit behind the pad. Probably unnecessary, but I leave them installed as
it's retro looking. :p

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Hi there All
>I have an 80's bike w/ 80's (I would guess) Sun Tour single pivot road
>brakes. I want to replace the entire assembly of brake pad material &
>holders for the front & rear brakes, w/ Kool Stop Salmon inserts &
>holders. Does it make any difference weather I buy Campy or Shimano
>holders? Are the stud diameters or the lateral spacing different?

I have a set of the last generation Superbe Pro brakes from the 80's and
I use modern Dura-Ace holders with Kool Stop Salmon pads. No problems at
all.
--------------
Alex

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>The salmons might stop a smidge better in the wet, but I can't really
>tell much of a difference to be honest.

Another benefit, besides the good stopping power, of the salmon pads is that
they don't get bits of metal embedded in them. Those bits of metal eat
right through your rims in no time.
Alex