Kool-Stop Rim Gard --- no longer manufactured

Bill Chiarchiar

Guest
After seeing the many rec.bicycles.tech recommendations for Kool-Stop Rim Gard rim strips, I tried
to find a retailer who carried them. When I couldn't find one, I emailed a query to Kool-Stop and
received the following response:

I'm sorry we do not make rim gard any more.

I figured the fans of Rim Gard would like to know that. I expect I'll use Velox on my soon-to-begin
first wheelbuilding project.

Bill Chiarchiaro [email protected]

Bill Chiarchiaro writes:

> After seeing the many rec.bicycles.tech recommendations for Kool-Stop Rim Gard rim strips, I tried
> to find a retailer who carried them. When I couldn't find one, I emailed a query to Kool-Stop and
> received the following response:

> I'm sorry we do not make rim gard any more.

> I figured the fans of Rim Gard would like to know that. I expect I'll use Velox on my
> soon-to-begin first wheelbuilding project.

These guys are weird. have Rim Gard bands that I recently bought at my bike shop and they look like
those pictured on the Kool-Stop WWW.

http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html

"Bill Chiarchiaro" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> After seeing the many rec.bicycles.tech recommendations for Kool-Stop Rim Gard rim strips, I tried
> to find a retailer who carried them. When I couldn't find one, I emailed a query to Kool-Stop and
> received the following response:
>
> I'm sorry we do not make rim gard any more.
>
> I figured the fans of Rim Gard would like to know that. I expect I'll use Velox on my
> soon-to-begin first wheelbuilding project.

Which rim? The Kool Stop "grey" product was perfect in a Weinmann A124 for example where a Velox
tape cannot be used.

>Which rim? The Kool Stop "grey" >product was perfect in a >Weinmann A124 for example where a Velox
>tape >cannot be used.

A124? That's the Weinmann "concave" rim isn't it? I had been using narrow Velox and it seemed ok.
But last time I got flats and I swore it was from the edge of the tape chafing the tube. I just
wrapped over top of the Velox with electrical tape. If Velox is not the best choice on a Weinmann
what else is good? You need something to protect from those nipples, being it's a single wall rim.

Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Bill Chiarchiaro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I figured the fans of Rim Gard would like to know that. I expect I'll use Velox on my
> > soon-to-begin first wheelbuilding project.
>
> Which rim? The Kool Stop "grey" product was perfect in a Weinmann A124 for example where a Velox
> tape cannot be used.

I had planned to use Mavic MA3 rims, but now I expect to use Torelli Master rims. They seem to have
all the desirable features that have been touted in r.b.t. They're not a common item, but I've found
that BiKyle can get them for me in 36-hole. Rivendell lists them in their Web catalog, but I'm not
inclined to sign up for Rivendell membership.

Bill McGann at Torelli said to use Velox 51 tape with the Master rims. I guess that's the 16-mm or
17-mm width tape, depending on whose Web site you look at.

BTW, the project is replacing my 1986 Miyata 100's 27-inch wheels with 700C wheels (using the
original hubs) and to learn about wheelbuilding in the process. I put Shimano long-reach RX100
brakes on the bike last year, and I think there's just enough pad height range to accommodate the
smaller 700C rims. Relative to my current rims, I can set the front pads 5 mm low, and the rear
pads 4 mm low. That should let me go to rims that are 8 mm smaller in diameter (although that
wouldn't leave room for adjustment as the pads wear). According to Barnett's Manual, the
approximate OD of 700C rims can be 4 to 12 mm smaller than 27-inch rims. I might be able to reduce
another 1 mm of height or 2 mm of diameter by filing the stud slots in the caliper arms. Anyway,
I'm hoping that my current rims (Araya "27x1-1/4 W/O") aren't on the big side and that the Masters
aren't on the small side.

I welcome comments about whether I'm asking for trouble...

Bill Chiarchiaro [email protected]

> [email protected] wrote:
> >Which rim? The Kool Stop "grey" >product was perfect in a >Weinmann A124
for
> >example where a Velox tape >cannot be used.

"Pete Geurds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A124? That's the Weinmann "concave" rim isn't it? I had been using narrow Velox and it seemed ok.
> But last time I got flats and I swore it was from the edge of the tape
chafing
> the tube. I just wrapped over top of the Velox with electrical tape. If Velox is not the best
> choice on a Weinmann what else is good? You need something to protect from those nipples, being
> it's a single wall
rim.

I just used that rim as an example of appropriate/inapproprate rim liners.

Kool Stop made a product, the grey one, that worked perfectly in that specific rim where almost
nothing else was functional. Cloth liners in that rim won't prevent internal flatting (and may cause
it), normal rubber liners are way too fat and interfere with the tire seating. Michelin made an
"Elan" liner for it that was skinny and double thickness, but it is long discontinued.

My point was that frequently customers complain of chronic internal flats and then we find that they
have tossed the correct 95c rim liner for a $4 one which caused their problem. You need the right
material and width and that is not always an expensive one.

> > "Bill Chiarchiaro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > I figured the fans of Rim Gard would like to know that. I expect I'll use Velox on my
> > > soon-to-begin first wheelbuilding project.

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> writes:
> > Which rim? The Kool Stop "grey" product was perfect in a Weinmann A124
for
> > example where a Velox tape cannot be used.

"Bill Chiarchiaro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I had planned to use Mavic MA3 rims, but now I expect to use Torelli Master rims. They seem to
> have all the desirable features that have been touted in r.b.t. They're not a common item, but
> I've found that BiKyle can get them for me in 36-hole. Rivendell lists them in their Web catalog,
> but I'm not inclined to sign up for Rivendell membership.
>
> Bill McGann at Torelli said to use Velox 51 tape with the Master rims. I guess that's the 16-mm or
> 17-mm width tape, depending on whose Web site you look at.
>
> BTW, the project is replacing my 1986 Miyata 100's 27-inch wheels with 700C wheels (using the
> original hubs) and to learn about wheelbuilding in the process. I put Shimano long-reach RX100
> brakes on the bike last year, and I think there's just enough pad height range to accommodate the
> smaller 700C rims. Relative to my current rims, I can set the front pads 5 mm low, and the rear
> pads 4 mm low. That should let me go to rims that are 8 mm smaller in diameter (although that
> wouldn't leave room for adjustment as the pads wear). According to Barnett's Manual, the
> approximate OD of 700C rims can be 4 to 12 mm smaller than 27-inch rims. I might be able to reduce
> another 1 mm of height or 2 mm of diameter by filing the stud slots in the caliper arms. Anyway,
> I'm hoping that my current rims (Araya "27x1-1/4 W/O") aren't on the big side and that the Masters
> aren't on the small side.
>
> I welcome comments about whether I'm asking for trouble...

A Velox/Zefal/Pedros 17mm cloth or a Michelin 16mm nylon rim liner would be fine on that rim.

With sidepulls you'd know right away if you're OK or not. Dual pivots of course creep upward as the
pads wear. If you are only marginally on the braking surface you'll need to be vigilant.