Koolstop wilderbeast hitch racing bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Marc, May 25, 2003.

  1. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Hai Everyone,

    I purchased last week a Kool-Stop Wilderbeast, to make a trip in Juli from Amsterdam to Marseille.
    (1500 km) Thought I could easily mount/hitch it to a racing-bike. But the hitch system does not fit
    on either of my 6 race-bikes, so I think it is a problem for most racing-bikes!

    The problem is that the drop-outs on my bikes (and all the racing bikes I know of) are opening-faced
    to the front. And the aluminium-block to tighten with the quick-release are build to fit on
    down-faced dropouts. ( I hope you'll understand this).

    The alternative, using a plastic black hitch clamp, is also impossible to use on racing bikes. The
    clamp must be installed on the rear-fork post, but on that position, all my racing-bikes have
    rear-derailleur cables and nocks on the posting, so it is impossible to put clamps on it.

    Is there any hitch system available for racing-bikes or should I return the Wilderbeast to the shop,
    and look for another trailer???

    Please advice, next week we want to test-trip around the IJsselmeer in Holland (400 km)

    Marc Droog The Netherlands

    Tags:

  2. I'm not sure I really understand what the hitch you have is doing, but my Burley trailer hitches on
    to my race bikes without a problem.