Koxx-One Crank/Washer/Pedal Problem.

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Evan Byrne, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    This is really starting to bug me, I have no clue what is wrong with
    these....I tightened the pedals down SO tight, then hoped on and with in
    30 seconds they are lose enough that you can unscrew them with your
    fingers. I have several ideas on why its not working

    1: The steel sleeve that is crimped into the aluminum crank is not
    pushed thru enough so that when the pedal is tightened the pedal does
    not have much surface area to bind onto.

    2: the pedal threads are just lose enough that the vibration and torque
    of the pedal unscrews itself

    3: the fact that my washers totally indented, give a concave surface
    area to bind onto

    I am still clueless as to why this is happening, I don't know if this is
    anything but like I said above, the washers I got bent inward and are
    more like cones than flat washers. The threads seem tight enough that it
    is not the threads causing the problem.

    any ideas?

    --
    Evan Byrne - I Bc.
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  2. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    Also, Can someone tell me if this is right...

    On a working pedal and crank arm, If the pedal is not tightened proporly
    that the pedal will unscrew it sell while pedaling forward?

    --
    Evan Byrne - I Bc.
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  3. fcwegnm0b

    fcwegnm0b Guest

    Riding forwards on pedals that aren't all the way in (assuming your
    cranks are on the correct sides), besides being stupid, will -tighten-
    your pedals, if anything - that's why one crank is right-hand threaded
    and the other left-handed. If you jump around with loose pedals, don't
    be surprised if you strip them out.

    Dave

    --
    fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

    "So the nurse was telling me about what you did to your ankle... and I
    all got was 'unicycle', 'mountain', and 'filming'"
    fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

  4. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    fcwegnm0b wrote:
    > *will -tighten- your pedals, if anything
    >
    > Dave *

    Agreed, what you need is nutlock solution, sold usually under the names
    of locktite, threadlock, nutlock etc. Clean both the pedal thread and
    crank with white spirirt, allow to dry, apply solution to pedal thread,
    tighten, pedal will never vibrate loose again, but can stil easily be
    removed with a spanner. My friend's Koxx also has washers that have been
    dished heavily by tightening the pedals, but he's not having any
    problems with them. It might sound stupid but do just check that you
    have the cranks on the right way round, else the pedlas will
    automatically unwind every time.

    --
    kington99 - I HAVE figured out how to change th

    Dave

  5. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

  6. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    God Damn, I just bought new washers and tightened my pedals ALOT, i
    didnt even get to teh street before they were unscrewing. Yes i have
    tryed tons of teflon tape and loctite, it does NOTHING

    --
    Evan Byrne - I Bc.
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  7. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    Do you really think every pedal and crank manafacturer in the world
    would make the crank threads opposite especially so that they both undid
    when you rode forward? If that's what's happening then your cranks are
    on the wrong side or your frame/seat is facing the wrong way depending
    on how you want to think about it.

    --
    kington99 - I HAVE figured out how to change th

    Dave

  8. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Take it to a local bike shop and see if they can see anything odd or
    wrong about the cranks or pedals or threads.

    There are not very many of the Koxx splined hubs and cranks over here in
    the US so there is not much experience amongst us here in the newsgroup
    to know what's up with that setup.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
    ' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) >>>'Click Me'
    (http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)<<<

  9. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

  10. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Evan Byrne wrote:
    > *il just turn the seat around, see if that works. *

    Even if the seat was backwards the cranks should not unscrew so quickly.
    People manage to ride backwards for long distances without the pedals
    unscrewing due to the backwards pedaling. Something is not right with
    your cranks. You need a bike mechanic to look at the cranks and see if
    he/she can spot anything wrong with the crank threads.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
    ' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) >>>'Click Me'
    (http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)<<<

  11. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

  12. if you don't have the washer between the pedal and the crank situated
    right, the pedals will come loose, it took me a few trys to get the
    washer in a position where the pedals didn't come loose

    --
    General Dibbles - commadore

    General Dibbles's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8108

  13. jagur

    jagur Guest

    whats the deal with a washer? i need a pic of this...i sounds like a
    quick fix to a problem that sould'nt be there in the 1st place.

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
    -forget_your_life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  14. Zzagg

    Zzagg Guest

    jagur wrote:
    > *whats the deal with a washer? i need a pic of this...i sounds like a
    > quick fix to a problem that sould'nt be there in the 1st place. *

    those cranks/pedals need washers because the pedals are not directly
    screwed in the cranks:
    there is a steel part with the thread wich is situated at the inner side
    of the crank so that when you screw the pedals on them the crank gets
    "locked" between the steel part and the pedal. actually you absolutely
    have to put the washers between the pedal and the crank or you will
    grind the hole in the crank so badly that you will never be able to
    tighten the pedal enough. those washers are not a quick fix, they are
    meant to be there.

    --
    Zzagg - froggy uni

    Zzagg - Air Circus Team (Nantes)

    Riding day, dream away...
    Still riding, still dreaming.

    please excuse me for still thinking I can write correct english :-o
    Zzagg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6847

  15. jagur

    jagur Guest

    ok Zzagg.

    a picture still would be good here. what is the benefit of this style of
    pedal mounting? i mean, once its set up right is it stronger or
    somthing? why the extra steel inserts and washers instead of just
    threads like most all cranx?

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
    -forget_your_life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  16. Zzagg

    Zzagg Guest

    Sorry for the pics... gonna try and find some.
    I don't really know why they made this way but I think thread in the
    steel inserts is more resistant than the thread of the classic alloy
    cranks. this is supposed to bare more pedal changes (IMO)...
    But the problem remains the same: if you ride with loose pedals the
    crank threading will be destroyed, with the Koxx One system the hole in
    the crank will be completely grinded, and maybe ovalized. I think that
    it's cool to try new concepts but in that case I'm quite sceptic.
    I have that problem with my Devil wich was a pre-sale version for
    testing purpose. Yoggi told me that the crank/pedal problem would be
    solved, but with this way of screwing pedals, cranks have to be PERFECT
    when leaving the factory (it should always be the case indeed).
    On the french forum I've heard of someone finding an issue to the
    problem...
    I switch my language and try to find more;)

    --
    Zzagg - froggy uni

    Zzagg - Air Circus Team (Nantes)

    Riding day, dream away...
    Still riding, still dreaming.

    please excuse me for still thinking I can write correct english :-o
    Zzagg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6847

  17. jagur

    jagur Guest

    Zzagg

    is this with the square tapered version or the splined version or both?

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
    -forget_your_life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  18. Zzagg

    Zzagg Guest

    jagur wrote:
    > *Zzagg
    >
    > is this with the square tapered version or the splined version or
    > both? *

    Only with the ISIS splined version. square tapered ones have standard
    cranks.

    --
    Zzagg - froggy uni

    Zzagg - Air Circus Team (Nantes)

    Riding day, dream away...
    Still riding, still dreaming.

    please excuse me for still thinking I can write correct english :-o
    Zzagg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6847

  19. Moritz Hahn

    Moritz Hahn Guest

    Hey, these cranks are made of aluminum! If u screw a pedal in a tread of
    an aluminum crank, the aluminum thread will damage very soon, because
    steel is harder than aluminum. So they put Have this steel thing to
    screw the pedal in.

    I do not have a pic

    --
    Moritz Hahn - street riding
    Moritz Hahn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/83

  20. Zzagg

    Zzagg Guest

    Moritz Hahn wrote:
    > *Hey, these cranks are made of aluminum!*

    Sorry, that' what I wanted to say.:eek: