KPH or MPH?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Cyclist14, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Cyclist14

Cyclist14 New Member

Last season I used MPH on my computer and this season I've switched over to kilometers, which do you think is a better form of measurement?

I like Kilometers more because they are more precise and linear (i.e: 1 Kilometer=1,000 Meters vs. 1 Mile=5,280 ft.)

Tags:

2. El Loto

El Loto New Member

MPH purely because that is what we use in the UK. If I holidayed or lived in a country that used KPH then I would change the computer to be corresponding.

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Well, precision has nothing to do with the unit of measure. And neither is more linear than the other by the mathematical definition of linear. Both MKS and English units of length are closed under addition and multiplication which makes them both linear.

Metric makes more sense, definitely, but sense is not something we use here in the US. FWIW, I'd use whatever units are mandated by local traffic ordinances.

4. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Like El Loto said, whatever is used by the country you're in - I remember the first time I drove "North of the border" into New Brunswick seeing speed limit signs and distance signs change from miles into kilometers - had to go by the other scale on my speedometer....

5. Dieseldan

Dieseldan New Member

MPH, since I'm in the USA. I don't know if I would alter my computer settings to KPH if I visit outside the USA. That may screw with my mileage tracking program.

6. baillirw

baillirw New Member

When I first recived my cyclecomputer I set it to MPH because of by training program. However, after a year of not being able to compare rusults when team mates, I'm crossing over to metric.

7. GatorTrek

GatorTrek New Member

I use MPH but have often thought about switching to KPH. One reason is that when I watch a professional race, I have a hard time discerning too much when they say, "he is going 40 KPH" or "today's stage is 126 Kilometers." On OLN, they always say, this stage is roughly the distance between "New York and Boston" or "Atlanta and Charlotte." This does little good unless you happen to be somewhat familiar with the geogrpahical relationship of the two cities. I might try KPH for a while to see.

8. MontVentoux

MontVentoux New Member

KPH since i´m european

9. ::dom::

::dom:: New Member

How can one be "better" than the other? :confused: :confused: :confused:

10. Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve New Member

At the moment I am using CPH (centimetres per hour) because I am so slow...

11. alienator

You should start w/ smaller units, like umPH (microns per hour), APH(angstroms per hour). Once you've done enough training and you've reached the level where you're averaging the number of UMPH or APH that you desire, switch to RPHPH (red pubic hairs per hour) to challenge yourself more.

Me? I used to use PPH (parsecs per hour) 'cuz I thought Star Trek was so cool. Then when I started working at NASA I switched to AUPH (astronomical units per hour). Now that I'm doing grad work in optics, I've switched to RHeNeLCLPH (red HeNe laser coherence length per hour).

12. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Start with Mph then switch to Kph . You will think you going like a bat out of hell.
    If you can't be great,then lie to yourself as a consolation.

13. badkarma

badkarma New Member

Km is more linear? I have no clue what that means. 1km=1000m, 2km=2000m; 1mi=5280 ft, 2mi=10560 ft, etc. Seems like both are linear to me.

I use mph, b/c that's what I'm used to in the US. If I lived in Germany, then I'd use kph.

14. Scarpelli

Scarpelli New Member

I use miles. I have a friend I refer to as "Metric Dave." He's such a metric fanatic his favorite trumpeter is Kilometers Davis, and his favorite Who song is "I Can See For Kilometers." He mows his back meter, and if you give the guy a centimeter, he takes a kilometer...

15. TKOS

TKOS New Member

Metric system for me, but then again that is what the street signs say. It just makes it that much easier to watch the tour on television.

16. philso

philso New Member

MPH vs KPH? neither here nor there. i prefer HIS, hours in saddle. ;)

17. velomanct

velomanct New Member

kph is better, but I won't ever switch to it because I am way too used to mph.

Just imagine if one day the US switched to the metric system. lol

18. alienator

Yeah, that'd be a pain switchin' to a system where changing units was a matter of multiplying be some power of ten

19. Balderick

Balderick New Member

Australia made the switch (for everything bar aviation, which remains feet and nautical miles) some years ago. I remember the time because my parents treated it like they were learning another language, having grown up with imperial measurements. Now, of course, it is all metric. Interestingly people still talk about baby weights in pounds and ounces, even though they would never think about buying a pound of butter from the shop! Make the change - it makes your average speeds on your bike look better, and temperature in metric just makes a whole lot more sense.

20. Hull 697

Hull 697 New Member

Nautical Miles because one NM is equivalent to one minute of arc, which keeps me in touch with the Global Universalism. It is also the only truly logical unit of measure on this planet as it is a relation to the size of the rock we live on.:rolleyes: :D

KPH is better for the ego. You are going SOOO much faster with metric. I really like the suggestion above for centimeters per hour. Now my speed is really going through the roof. Multiplication instead of youth, vigor, stamina! I like it!