Krapfen?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Pandora, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    Tags:

  2. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Pandora wrote:
    > Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I Am
    > not sure.
    > With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    > We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe and
    > Castagnole..
    > Here are my krapfen:
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqaj5x.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakia.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakn4.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqako8.jpg
    > if you want I will post you my recipe (a little long)
    >
    > Have a good breakfast
    > Pandora

    As usual, very good pics Pandora - always artistic :) Looks yummy...

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  3. Pandora wrote:
    > Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I Am
    > not sure.
    > With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    > We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe and
    > Castagnole..
    > Here are my krapfen:
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqaj5x.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakia.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakn4.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqako8.jpg
    > if you want I will post you my recipe (a little long)
    >
    > Have a good breakfast
    > Pandora

    Yes, Faschingskrapfen, for Mardi Gras. In Vienna they were made
    filled with jam, usually Apricot, but sometimes Red Raspberry. As a
    child, there were two occasions when we "had" to have them, New Year's
    Eve and Fasching or Carnival or Mardi Gras, whatever you want to call it.

    Your Krapfen look delicious. In the USA they are called doughnuts
    and I see that you made several different kinds. Enjoy them, enjoy
    Carnival and enjoy life! M

  4. "Pandora" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but
    > I Am not sure.
    > With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    > We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe
    > and Castagnole..
    > Here are my krapfen:
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqaj5x.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakia.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakn4.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqako8.jpg
    > if you want I will post you my recipe (a little long)
    >
    > Have a good breakfast
    > Pandora

    Ohhhh... they look delicious Pandora. Just looking at them makes my
    arteries harden and my blood glucose go off the charts. Yummm.

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  5. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]

    > Pandora wrote:
    >> Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I
    >> Am
    >> not sure.
    >> With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    >> We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe and
    >> Castagnole..
    >> Here are my krapfen:
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqaj5x.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakia.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakn4.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqako8.jpg
    >> if you want I will post you my recipe (a little long)
    >>
    >> Have a good breakfast
    >> Pandora

    > As usual, very good pics Pandora - always artistic :) Looks yummy...

    You are too kind ! Thank you :)
    They are very soft...and not raw inside , as usual :)
    Cheers
    Pandora

    > Cheers
    > Cathy(xyz)

  6. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]

    > Pandora wrote:
    >> Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I
    >> Am not sure.
    >> With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    >> We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe and
    >> Castagnole..
    >> Here are my krapfen:
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqaj5x.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakia.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakn4.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqako8.jpg
    >> if you want I will post you my recipe (a little long)
    >>
    >> Have a good breakfast
    >> Pandora

    > Yes, Faschingskrapfen, for Mardi Gras.

    Yessss!!!

    In Vienna they were made
    > filled with jam, usually Apricot, but sometimes Red Raspberry. As a
    > child, there were two occasions when we "had" to have them, New Year's Eve
    > and Fasching or Carnival or Mardi Gras, whatever you want to call it.

    Yes, I know that Krapfen was born in Austria and they are filled with jam
    ( I prefer custard) :) :)

    > Your Krapfen look delicious. In the USA they are called doughnuts and I
    > see that you made several different kinds. Enjoy them, enjoy Carnival and
    > enjoy life! M

    Thank you Margaret !!! I can't go to Rio de Janeiro (it's too far from me)!!
    Cheers
    Pandora

  7. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > "Pandora" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but
    >> I Am not sure.
    >> With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    >> We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe
    >> and Castagnole..
    >> Here are my krapfen:
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqaj5x.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakia.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakn4.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqako8.jpg
    >> if you want I will post you my recipe (a little long)
    >>
    >> Have a good breakfast
    >> Pandora

    > Ohhhh... they look delicious Pandora. Just looking at them makes my
    > arteries harden and my blood glucose go off the charts. Yummm.

    ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!! I have no pitY, it's true >:)
    Cheers
    Pandora

    > Michael
    >
    > --
    > "It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun."
    > _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  8. jay

    jay Guest

    On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:53:37 +0100, Pandora wrote:

    > Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I Am
    > not sure.
    > With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    > We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe and
    > Castagnole..

    > Have a good breakfast
    > Pandora

    I like 'em!

  9. Jean-Pierre

    Jean-Pierre Guest

    In Switzerland we call them berliner and they are usually filled with
    jam.
    In South Africa they are called decadent donuts. But only when the
    vanilla custard and jam drip all over.

  10. Jean-Pierre

    Jean-Pierre Guest

    In Switzerland we call them berliner and they are usually filled with
    jam.
    In South Africa they are called decadent donuts. But only when the
    vanilla custard and jam drip all over.

  11. Jean-Pierre wrote on 27 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > In Switzerland we call them berliner and they are usually filled with
    > jam.
    > In South Africa they are called decadent donuts. But only when the
    > vanilla custard and jam drip all over.

    In Canada Jam busters is the correct name.

    --
    -Alan

  12. Roberta

    Roberta Guest

    Pandora wrote:
    > Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I Am
    > not sure.
    > With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    > We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe and
    > Castagnole..
    > Here are my krapfen:
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqaj5x.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakia.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakn4.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqako8.jpg
    > if you want I will post you my recipe (a little long)
    >
    > Have a good breakfast
    > Pandora

    Yum! :)

    They make me think of my childhood home. I grew up in a suburb of
    Detroit. We had a very large Polish population. I knew it as "fat
    Tuesday" and ate Paczki (for some reason that is pronounced Punch-key or
    poon-chki). Best to get them from one of the local Polish bakeries -
    boy I really want one now :)

    Roberta (in VA)

    Link to article-
    http://detroit.about.com/od/uniquelydetroit/a/paczki.htm

  13. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Roberta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > Pandora wrote:
    >> Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I
    >> Am not sure.
    >> With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    >> We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe and
    >> Castagnole..
    >> Here are my krapfen:
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqaj5x.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakia.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakn4.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqako8.jpg
    >> if you want I will post you my recipe (a little long)
    >>
    >> Have a good breakfast
    >> Pandora

    > Yum! :)
    >
    > They make me think of my childhood home. I grew up in a suburb of
    > Detroit. We had a very large Polish population. I knew it as "fat
    > Tuesday" and ate Paczki (for some reason that is pronounced Punch-key or
    > poon-chki). Best to get them from one of the local Polish bakeries - boy
    > I really want one now :)
    >
    > Roberta (in VA)
    >
    > Link to article-
    > http://detroit.about.com/od/uniquelydetroit/a/paczki.htm

    There must be some ESP going on here -- isn't Mardi Gras on or just over or
    something like that. Fat Tuesday is Mardi Gras and here, Pandora is making
    Fat Tuesday donuts?
    Whooooo.
    Dee Dee

  14. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "jay" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:53:37 +0100, Pandora wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I
    >> Am
    >> not sure.
    >> With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    >> We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe and
    >> Castagnole..

    >> Have a good breakfast
    >> Pandora

    > I like 'em!

    Thank you . I will write recipe ASAP
    Cheers
    Pandora

  15. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Jean-Pierre" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > In Switzerland we call them berliner and they are usually filled with
    > jam.
    > In South Africa they are called decadent donuts. But only when the
    > vanilla custard and jam drip all over.

    Very interesting thing!!!!
    Cheers
    Pandora

  16. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Roberta" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > Pandora wrote:
    >> Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I
    >> Am not sure.
    >> With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    >> We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe and
    >> Castagnole..
    >> Here are my krapfen:
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqaj5x.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakia.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakn4.jpg
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqako8.jpg
    >> if you want I will post you my recipe (a little long)
    >>
    >> Have a good breakfast
    >> Pandora

    > Yum! :)
    >
    > They make me think of my childhood home. I grew up in a suburb of
    > Detroit. We had a very large Polish population. I knew it as "fat
    > Tuesday" and ate Paczki (for some reason that is pronounced Punch-key or
    > poon-chki). Best to get them from one of the local Polish bakeries - boy
    > I really want one now :)

    Me too, I ate them when I was young :)
    Very yummy food, not to eat every day, ofcourse :)
    Cheers
    Pandora

    > Roberta (in VA)
    >
    > Link to article-
    > http://detroit.about.com/od/uniquelydetroit/a/paczki.htm

  17. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]

    > "Roberta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    >> Pandora wrote:
    >>> Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I
    >>> Am not sure.
    >>> With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    >>> We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe and
    >>> Castagnole..
    >>> Here are my krapfen:
    >>> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqaj5x.jpg
    >>> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakia.jpg
    >>> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakn4.jpg
    >>> http://i2.tinypic.com/oqako8.jpg
    >>> if you want I will post you my recipe (a little long)
    >>>
    >>> Have a good breakfast
    >>> Pandora

    >> Yum! :)
    >>
    >> They make me think of my childhood home. I grew up in a suburb of
    >> Detroit. We had a very large Polish population. I knew it as "fat
    >> Tuesday" and ate Paczki (for some reason that is pronounced Punch-key or
    >> poon-chki). Best to get them from one of the local Polish bakeries - boy
    >> I really want one now :)
    >>
    >> Roberta (in VA)
    >>
    >> Link to article-
    >> http://detroit.about.com/od/uniquelydetroit/a/paczki.htm

    > There must be some ESP going on here -- isn't Mardi Gras on or just over
    > or something like that. Fat Tuesday is Mardi Gras and here, Pandora is
    > making Fat Tuesday donuts?
    > Whooooo.
    > Dee Dee

    I don't know! I make krapfen when I want (carnival or not carnival) :))))
    Cheers
    Pandora

  18. MoM

    MoM Guest

    "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I
    > Am not sure.
    > With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    > We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe and
    > Castagnole..
    > Here are my krapfen:
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqaj5x.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakia.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakn4.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqako8.jpg
    > if you want I will post you my recipe (a little long)
    >
    > Have a good breakfast
    > Pandora

    Yum! Good thing you're too far away or my diet would be down the toilet!

    Recipe please?

    MoM

  19. jake

    jake Guest

    Pandora wrote:

    > Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I Am
    > not sure.
    > With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.
    > We use to make them during the Carnival feasts, togheter with Frappe and
    > Castagnole..
    > Here are my krapfen:
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqaj5x.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakia.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqakn4.jpg
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/oqako8.jpg
    > if you want I will post you my recipe (a little long)
    >
    > Have a good breakfast
    > Pandora

    The sauce I seem to see, is ti vanilla? And is it inside the dough? Does
    it go in there before of after frying?

    They look delicious and remind me of Berliner/Pfannkuchen. Well, the
    probably are the same thing.

  20. Jani

    Jani Guest

    "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Yesterday , I have made krapfen. I think you call them doughnuts, but I Am
    > not sure.
    > With the same dough you can do also ring-shaped cakes.

    The ones with custard inside look like what we call Bavarian doughnuts (from
    the local bakery). Ring doughnuts, fresh-cooked and dredged in sugar and
    cinnamon, you can sometimes get from a "van" or from fairground stalls,
    depending on area. Both types are sheer indulgence :)

    Jani