Krispy Kreme heads-up for Bostonians

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Felice Friese, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. This just in from #2 Daughter, who lives in the Pru apartments: KK will be opening at the Pru Center
    (In the Mall, I guess) in April, in time for the Marathon. Good news for the carbo-loaders, not to
    mention visiting Moms.

    Felice

    Tags:

  2. PaulaGarlic

    PaulaGarlic Guest

    "Felice Friese" <[email protected]> wrote

    > This just in from #2 Daughter, who lives in the Pru apartments: KK will be opening at the Pru
    > Center (In the Mall, I guess) in April, in time for the Marathon. Good news for the carbo-loaders,
    > not to mention visiting Moms.
    >
    > Felice

    The one just outside Albany...in Latham, New York...is going to open any day now...I think on
    Tuesday. I've been meaning to try one in the interest of research ;-), but it's rather bad timing
    for me...right at the beginning of Lent.

    Paula

  3. "Felice Friese" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:p[email protected]_s51:

    > This just in from #2 Daughter, who lives in the Pru apartments: KK will be opening at the Pru
    > Center (In the Mall, I guess) in April, in time for the Marathon. Good news for the carbo-loaders,
    > not to mention visiting Moms.

    You won't catch me eating those any time soon.

    Here are the results of inquiry into three manufacturers of donuts in Canada, by the Radio-Canada
    show L'épicerie.

    http://radio- canada.ca/actualite/lepicerie/docArchives/2003/10/23/enquete.shtml

    They took one plain, one cream and one honey-glazed donut from each place and performed an analysis
    of contents.

    Donuts contain between 180 and 350 calories. On average it is 50% sugar, 40% fat and only 10%
    protein. The Dunkin Donuts plain donut contains much more fat, but its percentage of trans and
    saturated fats is the lowest.

    Total Fat Trans and Saturated Fat

    Tim Horton's 7.61g 2.03g/58g (more than 25% of fat) Dunkin Donuts 24.78g 4.56g/47g (about 20% of
    fat) Krispy Kreme 10.05g 5.00g/45g (about 50% of fat)

    --

    "I'm the master of low expectations."

    GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

  4. Levelwave

    Levelwave Guest

    Michel Boucher wrote:

    > You won't catch me eating those any time soon.
    >
    > Here are the results of inquiry into three manufacturers of donuts in Canada, by the Radio-Canada
    > show L'épicerie.

    It's a friggin' donut. What did you expect? If you want healthy eat tofu.

    ~john

  5. "Michel Boucher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > You won't catch me eating those any time soon.
    >
    > Here are the results of inquiry into three manufacturers of donuts in Canada, by the Radio-Canada
    > show L'épicerie.
    >
    > http://radio- canada.ca/actualite/lepicerie/docArchives/2003/10/23/enquete.shtml
    >
    > They took one plain, one cream and one honey-glazed donut from each place and performed an
    > analysis of contents.
    >
    > Donuts contain between 180 and 350 calories. On average it is 50% sugar, 40% fat and only 10%
    > protein. The Dunkin Donuts plain donut contains much more fat, but its percentage of trans and
    > saturated fats is the lowest.
    >
    > Total Fat Trans and Saturated Fat
    >
    > Tim Horton's 7.61g 2.03g/58g (more than 25% of fat) Dunkin Donuts 24.78g 4.56g/47g (about 20% of
    > fat) Krispy Kreme 10.05g 5.00g/45g (about 50% of fat)

    I looked at the article, and I'm afraid I don't read enough French to understand exactly what it was
    saying, but I'm not sure I understand your take on it either...How could a doughnut with 7.61 g of
    total fat contain 58 g of saturated fat? I know you copied your numbers exactly as they appeared in
    the article, but they just don't make sense. They might make sense w/in the context of their
    headings and the article, but I don;t think they mean what you've said here.

    That said, I'm not arguing that they're healthy. But they're not an everyday food for me...more
    like once or twice a year...so when we do Krispy Kreme, I enjoy them and try to eat better the rest
    of the day.

    Chris

  6. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    Boston is the academic center of the United States, and probably the world. Many people there do
    know how to spell; I doubt that KK, with their southern origins and poor spelling will take much
    business from local institutions.

    ----
    Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

    "Felice Friese" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]_s51...
    > This just in from #2 Daughter, who lives in the Pru apartments: KK will be opening at the Pru
    > Center (In the Mall, I guess) in April, in time for the Marathon. Good news for the carbo-loaders,
    > not to mention visiting Moms.
    >
    > Felice

  7. stan

    stan Guest

    Louis Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Boston is the academic center of the United States, and probably the world. Many people there do
    > know how to spell; I doubt that KK, with their southern origins and poor spelling will take much
    > business from local institutions.

    What makes you think Boston is the Academic Center of the United States? I doubt that's true and it
    definitely isn't the academic center of the world. For that matter, I doubt there is even an
    academic center of the USA or world and considering that Bostonians don't even know how to talk!
    (that's a joke). I doubt Bostonians will balk at eating donuts just because the name of the business
    that makes them is not composed of proper english words.

  8. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    Felice Friese wrote:
    > This just in from #2 Daughter, who lives in the Pru apartments: KK will be opening at the Pru
    > Center (In the Mall, I guess) in April, in time for the Marathon. Good news for the carbo-loaders,
    > not to mention visiting Moms.
    >
    > Felice

    Much ado about nothing.

    jim

  9. "Chris and Bob Neidecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Michel Boucher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Total Fat Trans and Saturated Fat
    > >
    > > Tim Horton's 7.61g 2.03g/58g (more than 25% of fat) Dunkin Donuts 24.78g 4.56g/47g (about 20% of
    > > fat) Krispy Kreme 10.05g 5.00g/45g (about 50% of fat)
    > >

    > I looked at the article, and I'm afraid I don't read enough French to understand exactly what it
    > was saying, but I'm not sure I understand your take on it either...How could a doughnut with 7.61
    > g of total fat contain
    58
    > g of saturated fat? I know you copied your numbers exactly as they
    appeared
    > in the article, but they just don't make sense. They might make sense
    w/in
    > the context of their headings and the article, but I don;t think they mean what you've said here.

    I think, but I could be wrong, that the 2.03g, for example, refers to the both the Trans and
    Saturated Fats content while the 58g is the weight of the sample tested. So it would read 2.03 grams
    of trans and saturated fats per 58 gram-donut.

    rona

  10. RMiller

    RMiller Guest

    >The one just outside Albany...in Latham, New York...is going to open any day now...I think on
    >Tuesday. I've been meaning to try one in the interest of research ;-), but it's rather bad timing
    >for me...right at the beginning of Lent.
    >
    >Paula

    Wait a couple of days before you do your "research" They are generally packed to the gills and had
    people waiting when they open the front door.

    My personal rearch has taught me that my favorite is the regular hot KK right out of the
    fat... Rosie

  11. Levelwave <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Michel Boucher wrote:
    >
    >> You won't catch me eating those any time soon.
    >>
    >> Here are the results of inquiry into three manufacturers of donuts in Canada, by the Radio-Canada
    >> show L'épicerie.
    >
    > It's a friggin' donut. What did you expect? If you want healthy eat tofu.

    As I recall donuts from my childhood, the kind my aunt made, they weren't 50% fat. You accept
    commercially made donuts as the standard whereas I see them as the nadir of the food supply...well,
    not exactly, the nadir are sweet soft drinks.

    --

    "I'm the master of low expectations."

    GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

  12. "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Chris and Bob Neidecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Michel Boucher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> >
    >> > Total Fat Trans and Saturated Fat
    >> >
    >> > Tim Horton's 7.61g 2.03g/58g (more than 25% of fat) Dunkin Donuts 24.78g 4.56g/47g (about 20%
    >> > of fat) Krispy Kreme 10.05g 5.00g/45g (about 50% of fat)
    >> >

    > I think, but I could be wrong, that the 2.03g, for example, refers to the both the Trans and
    > Saturated Fats content while the 58g is the weight of the sample tested. So it would read 2.03
    > grams of trans and saturated fats per 58 gram-donut.

    That is correct. I added the rough percentage of total fat that trans and saturated represent, so
    that a Krispy Kreme's fat content is roughly 50% trans and saturated fats. However, it shuld be
    noted that in actual terms, the trans and saturated fat content of both Dunkin Donuts and Krispy
    Kreme are about the same whereas Tim Horton's is less than half that amount.

    In terms of preferred choice, the Tim Horton's comes out on top with the lowers trans and saturated
    fat and the lowest oveall fat content.

    --

    "I'm the master of low expectations."

    GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

  13. "PaulaGarlic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Felice Friese" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > This just in from #2 Daughter, who lives in the Pru apartments: KK will
    be
    > > opening at the Pru Center (In the Mall, I guess) in April, in time for
    the
    > > Marathon. Good news for the carbo-loaders, not to mention visiting Moms.
    > >
    > > Felice
    > >

    > The one just outside Albany...in Latham, New York...is going to open any
    day
    > now...I think on Tuesday. I've been meaning to try one in the interest
    of
    > research ;-), but it's rather bad timing for me...right at the beginning
    of
    > Lent.
    >
    > Paula

    Hang in there until Easter!

    Felice

  14. "Michel Boucher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Felice Friese" <[email protected]> wrote in news:p[email protected]_s51:
    >
    > > This just in from #2 Daughter, who lives in the Pru apartments: KK will be opening at the Pru
    > > Center (In the Mall, I guess) in April, in time for the Marathon. Good news for the carbo-
    > > loaders, not to mention visiting Moms.
    >
    > You won't catch me eating those any time soon.
    >
    > Here are the results of inquiry into three manufacturers of donuts in Canada, by the Radio-Canada
    > show L'épicerie.
    >
    > http://radio- canada.ca/actualite/lepicerie/docArchives/2003/10/23/enquete.shtml
    >
    > They took one plain, one cream and one honey-glazed donut from each place and performed an
    > analysis of contents.

    <snip analysis>

    Spoilsport!

    Felice

  15. "Felice Friese" <[email protected]> wrote in news:F%a_b.103722
    [email protected]_s51:

    >> http://radio- canada.ca/actualite/lepicerie/docArchives/2003/10/23/enquete.shtml
    >>
    >> They took one plain, one cream and one honey-glazed donut from each place and performed an
    >> analysis of contents.
    >
    > <snip analysis>
    >
    > Spoilsport!

    Call it consumer eddykayshun :)

    --

    "I'm the master of low expectations."

    GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

  16. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Levelwave wrote:

    > Michel Boucher wrote:
    >
    > > You won't catch me eating those any time soon.
    > >
    > > Here are the results of inquiry into three manufacturers of donuts in Canada, by the Radio-
    > > Canada show L'épicerie.
    >
    > It's a friggin' donut. What did you expect? If you want healthy eat tofu.

    You don't understand. This "research" helps some people be more comfortable with their donut-eating
    habits, by choosing the one lowest in trans-fats. Sort of like the way "low-tar" cigarettes help
    some people be more comfortable with smoking.

  17. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    I think you'll find that the Boston area has more colleges and universities,
    and more prominent ones, than anywhere else in the US, and probably the
    world. In no particular order:

    MIT, Harvard, Tufts, Brandeis, Wellesley, Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern, New
    England Conservatory, ...

    Here's the Google directory link to colleges in Massachusetts; most of these are in the Boston area:
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Reference/Education/Colleges_and_Universities/North_America/United_-
    States/Massachusetts/

    Boston is also one of the great eating cities of the United States, leading the second tier behind
    San Francisco, New York, and New Orleans. I don't miss the weather but I do miss the chowder, and
    the Italian bakeries of the North End.

    ----
    Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

    > Louis Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Boston is the academic center of the United States, and probably the
    world.
    > > Many people there do know how to spell; I doubt that KK, with their
    southern
    > > origins and poor spelling will take much business from local
    institutions.

    > What makes you think Boston is the Academic Center of the United States? I
    doubt
    > that's true and it definitely isn't the academic center of the world. For
    that
    > matter, I doubt there is even an academic center of the USA or world and
    considering
    > that Bostonians don't even know how to talk! (that's a joke). I doubt
    Bostonians
    > will balk at eating donuts just because the name of the business that
    makes them is
    > not composed of proper english words.

  18. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Michel Boucher wrote:

    > "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >

    >>"Chris and Bob Neidecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>"Michel Boucher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]...

    >>I think, but I could be wrong, that the 2.03g, for example, refers to the both the Trans and
    >>Saturated Fats content while the 58g is the weight of the sample tested. So it would read 2.03
    >>grams of trans and saturated fats per 58 gram-donut.
    >

    > That is correct. I added the rough percentage of total fat that trans and saturated represent, so
    > that a Krispy Kreme's fat content is roughly 50% trans and saturated fats. However, it shuld be
    > noted that in actual terms, the trans and saturated fat content of both Dunkin Donuts and Krispy
    > Kreme are about the same whereas Tim Horton's is less than half that amount.
    >
    > In terms of preferred choice, the Tim Horton's comes out on top with the lowers trans and
    > saturated fat and the lowest oveall fat content.

    Tim Horton's taste better, too.

    I can't get excited about KK doughnuts. To much of a punch in the mouth. Greasy, waaaaay too much
    sugar glaze on the glazed ones, waaaaay to fake-tasting "kreme" in them.

    Horton gets my vote. Last Spring in Montreal, I behaved badly in a Horton shop. Bought 4 dozen
    doughnuts and a gallon of milk, and shared them with 5 other people. All gone...

    Then we went to dinner and ate smoked meat until we reached a near-detonation state. Life is good...

    Pastorio

  19. stan

    stan Guest

    Louis Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I think you'll find that the Boston area has more colleges and universities, and more prominent
    > ones, than anywhere else in the US, and probably the world. In no particular order:

    > MIT, Harvard, Tufts, Brandeis, Wellesley, Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern, New
    > England Conservatory, ...

    > Here's the Google directory link to colleges in Massachusetts; most of these are in the Boston
    > area: http://directory.google.com/Top/Reference/Education/Colleges_and_Universities/North_America-
    > /United_States/Massachusetts/

    Boston's my favorite town to visit, but for restaurants, I don't think Boston has anything up on
    Philadelphia. Philly has some of the most highly rated restaurants in the country and amazing
    Italian food just about anywhere you look.

    As for colleges, I believe Philly has a greater student population than Boston and more higher
    education institutions than I can remember. Just a few off the top of my head: Temple (ahem),
    Drexel, University of Pennsylvania, LaSalle, Hahnaman, Thoms Jefferson, Villanova, Penn State Ogontz
    campus, Pierce, Rosemont, Ursinus, and Byrn Mawr.

  20. Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Levelwave wrote:
    >
    >> Michel Boucher wrote:
    >>
    >> > You won't catch me eating those any time soon.
    >> >
    >> > Here are the results of inquiry into three manufacturers of donuts in Canada, by the Radio-
    >> > Canada show L'épicerie.
    >>
    >> It's a friggin' donut. What did you expect? If you want healthy eat tofu.
    >
    > You don't understand. This "research" helps some people be more comfortable with their donut-
    > eating habits, by choosing the one lowest in trans-fats. Sort of like the way "low-tar" cigarettes
    > help some people be more comfortable with smoking.

    Personally this helps me choose none of the above.