Kryptonite Evolution vs New York 3000 Locks

abrown360

Guest
I have a bike worth about 750 bucks. I dont ever leave it for long, but
occasionally want to run into a hardware store, or a supermarket for
about 15 minutes, and I need a good lock.

Is the New York 3000 U Lock just OVERKILL? It is 3.7lbs, while the
Krypto-Evolution is just over 2lbs. Is the Evolution really that weak?
I am going to use a cable for the wheels regardless of the U lock I
choose.

I live in Seattle, and I am never leaving the bike outside at night...
What do ya think I should get?

"abrown360" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a bike worth about 750 bucks. I dont ever leave it for long, but
> occasionally want to run into a hardware store, or a supermarket for
> about 15 minutes, and I need a good lock.
>
> Is the New York 3000 U Lock just OVERKILL? It is 3.7lbs, while the
> Krypto-Evolution is just over 2lbs. Is the Evolution really that weak?
> I am going to use a cable for the wheels regardless of the U lock I
> choose.
>
> I live in Seattle, and I am never leaving the bike outside at night...
> What do ya think I should get?

Heh heh, I'd recommend a 2nd bike! Get yerself a garage sale beater that you
won't be afraid to lock up.

If you do end up in a shop with your good bike and no lock, just bring the
bike in. If you're nice about it, most people, in small stores anyway, will
let you do so.

cheers,
paul

"abrown360" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>I have a bike worth about 750 bucks. I dont ever leave it for long, but

<snip>
>What do ya think I should get?

I realize that may not be all that constructive considering you have a bike
already you want to protect but someone else suggested buying a beater that
you won't worry about so I figured I'd jump in.

When I went to my LBS a couple months ago, I saw the Kryptonite New York
U-lock.

$150. Let's assume it's "the perfect lock." $150!?

I bought a folding bike and don't have a lock of any kind for it - it goes
where I go, never leaving my sight. (it's watching me type this ;)

I figure by the time you're done, it'd cheaper just to get a folder (Dahon
Impulse... $175 to $300 depending on model) that will NOT get stolen and
keep your rocket ship bike for evening and weekend rides where it won't have
to be locked up.

Just my 2cents. Let us know what you decide to do - and if you lock it up,
when it gets stolen. (ducking)

Chris

Christ almighty. I HAVE A SECOND BIKE, I HAVE A THIRD BIKE.

My question was relating to my NEW BIKE. What lock for my NEW BIKE, not
the old clunkers I have. Please do not waste my time.

Paul R wrote:

> Heh heh, I'd recommend a 2nd bike! Get yerself a garage sale beater that you
> won't be afraid to lock up.
>
> If you do end up in a shop with your good bike and no lock, just bring the
> bike in. If you're nice about it, most people, in small stores anyway, will
> let you do so.
>
> cheers,
> paul

New York Lock 3000 is 55 bucks all over the internet. Evolution is
abotu 20 bucks cheaper. Is the NYLock really that much better
considering the extra weight?

***Again, I am looking for information on the various types of
Kryptonite locks and their relative benefits. NOT LOOKING FOR
recommendations about buying another bike. Ok?***

I HAVE A SECOND, THIRD, AND FOURTH BIKE. This thread is a question
about Kryptonite locks and their benefits vs each other. I dont need
advice on losing my bike, or how it is a bad idea to lock it up. I know
you may think it is dumb to lock up a nice bike, but christ almighty,
sometimes it is necessary, and I want info about locks, not other stuff.

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:16:27 -0700, abrown360 wrote:

> New York Lock 3000 is 55 bucks all over the internet. Evolution is abotu
> 20 bucks cheaper. Is the NYLock really that much better considering the
> extra weight?

In Seattle I'd get the Evolution, but better yet, call a bike courier
company in your area and see what they recommend.

I used to leave my $800 city bike locked up overnight in Chicago--in some
pretty shady neighborhoods, and it was never touched (caressed maybe) but
that's because I stealthified it. Electrical tape, general dirt, and a
bag on the seat. Cheap 30 dollar Krypto. No prob.

Thing is, on a fancy bike, a dedicated thief with an allen key might go
for your brakes, seat or other parts, so no matter how good the lock...

Camo is the best solution, imho

> ***Again, I am looking for information on the various types of
> Kryptonite locks and their relative benefits. NOT LOOKING FOR
> recommendations about buying another bike. Ok?***

Relax, it's usenet and out of your control, hang on for the ride. What you
can't use or parse, ignore. ;)

You should think of designating one of your bikes as a "shopping bike",
and giving it the "urban decay" treatment.

abrown360 wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
>I HAVE A SECOND, THIRD, AND FOURTH BIKE. This thread is a question
>about Kryptonite locks and their benefits vs each other. I dont need
>advice on losing my bike, or how it is a bad idea to lock it up. I know
>you may think it is dumb to lock up a nice bike, but christ almighty,
>sometimes it is necessary, and I want info about locks, not other stuff.

Calm down, take a deep breath, and relax.

You have no control over threads in Usenet, even if you started them. You
might want specific information, but since you aren't paying for it, you
should remember that people are being nice by replying to your query, and
they have no obligation to respond exactly as you'd like.

If it's really a problem for you, I suggest going for a ride next time the
steam starts to blow out of your ears, rather than chastising others.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr­al/Cpetersky

"abrown360" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Christ almighty. I HAVE A SECOND BIKE, I HAVE A THIRD BIKE.
>
> My question was relating to my NEW BIKE. What lock for my NEW
> BIKE, not the old clunkers I have. Please do not waste my time.
>
> Paul R wrote:
>>
>> Heh heh, I'd recommend a 2nd bike! Get yerself a garage sale
>> beater that you won't be afraid to lock up.
>>
>> If you do end up in a shop with your good bike and no lock, just
>> bring the bike in. If you're nice about it, most people, in small
>> stores anyway, will let you do so.
>>
>> cheers,
>> paul

Don't ever take your good bike out where you have to lock it
up...never, never, Fabs would support me on this.

"C.J.Patten" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "abrown360" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>I have a bike worth about 750 bucks. I dont ever leave it for
>>long, but

> <snip>
>>What do ya think I should get?
>>

> I realize that may not be all that constructive considering you
> have a bike already you want to protect but someone else suggested
> buying a beater that you won't worry about so I figured I'd jump
> in.
>
> When I went to my LBS a couple months ago, I saw the Kryptonite
> New York U-lock.
>
> $150. Let's assume it's "the perfect lock." $150!?

One of my hobbies is lockpicking (it started in Europe by the way where
they have national championships). I can pick a 5 pin tumbler lock in
between 30 sec and 2 minutes mostly toward the 30 sec range. Key U-
locks I do in 5 sec and tubular locks the Kryptonite kind sometimes
tale longer, but till now not much, however I have not yet seen the K
replacement locks but there is no such thing as a perfect lock...will
get back to you.

"Mike Latondresse" <mikelat@no_spam_shaw.ca> wrote in message

> One of my hobbies is lockpicking (it started in Europe by the way where
> they have national championships). I can pick a 5 pin tumbler lock in
> between 30 sec and 2 minutes mostly toward the 30 sec range. Key U-
> locks I do in 5 sec and tubular locks the Kryptonite kind sometimes
> tale longer, but till now not much, however I have not yet seen the K
> replacement locks but there is no such thing as a perfect lock...will
> get back to you.

Mike, I've locked myself out of cars, houses etc enough that I'd love to
learn how to pick locks just for kicks. (I'm no thief...can't afford the
consequences ;)

Where do you get started with something like that?! (books? night school???)

C.

On 22 Jun 2005 14:16:27 -0700, "abrown360" <[email protected]> wrote:

>New York Lock 3000 is 55 bucks all over the internet. Evolution is
>abotu 20 bucks cheaper. Is the NYLock really that much better
>considering the extra weight?

Oh. Two Evolution locks appeared in my mail the other day. So I now see
they are only worth $35 a piece. Living in Brooklyn I am interested in just
how good they are. Kryptonite still owes me the lock that goes with my five
pound chain.

abrown360 wrote:
> New York Lock 3000 is 55 bucks all over the internet. Evolution is
> abotu 20 bucks cheaper. Is the NYLock really that much better
> considering the extra weight?

If the weight is a problem, you should buy a lighter bike.

HTH.

CC

ever hear of the saying "calling the kettle black" claire? your last
post was the definition. dont tell me to relax and then ***** at me.

ever hear of the saying "calling the kettle black" claire? your last
post was the definition. and the warm regards at the end? even though
its a sig, it makes your response even funnier. just as i dont own
usenet, you dont either. stick a sock in it.

ever hear of the saying "calling the kettle black" claire? your last
post was the definition. and the warm regards at the end? even though
its a sig, it makes your response even funnier. just as i dont own
usenet, you dont either. stick a sock in it sister.

BEST WISHES
WARM REGARDS
MERRY CHRISTMAS

I have an odd feeling that the next time Mr. Brown asks a question in rbm,
there will be no answer, because no one will see his message.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr­al/Cpetersky

Claire Petersky wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
>abrown360 wrote in message
><[email protected]>...
>>I HAVE A SECOND, THIRD, AND FOURTH BIKE. This thread is a question
>>about Kryptonite locks and their benefits vs each other. I dont need
>>advice on losing my bike, or how it is a bad idea to lock it up. I know
>>you may think it is dumb to lock up a nice bike, but christ almighty,
>>sometimes it is necessary, and I want info about locks, not other stuff.

>Calm down, take a deep breath, and relax.
>
>You have no control over threads in Usenet, even if you started them. You
>might want specific information, but since you aren't paying for it, you
>should remember that people are being nice by replying to your query, and
>they have no obligation to respond exactly as you'd like.
>
>If it's really a problem for you, I suggest going for a ride next time the
>steam starts to blow out of your ears, rather than chastising others.
>
>--
>Warm Regards,
>
>Claire Petersky
>Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
>See the books I've set free at:
>http://bookcrossing.com/referr­al/Cpetersky

abrown360 wrote:
<snip>
> Is the New York 3000 U Lock just OVERKILL? It is 3.7lbs, while the
> Krypto-Evolution is just over 2lbs. Is the Evolution really that weak?
> I am going to use a cable for the wheels regardless of the U lock I
> choose.

<snip>

If you can get a frame mounting bracket, and you're not carrying it on
your back, or rattling around below your saddle rails or whatever, the
additional 1.5lbs is going to be fairly negligible (unless you're a
weight weenie, or have a *long* commute).

Does anyone know if either of these models susceptible to the infamous
"pen" attack, or similar? (I suppose this is what the OP is asking).
I'd be surprised if reputable companies were still selling locks that
were cylinder rather than disc based, but you never know...

Regards,

bookieb

On 23 Jun 2005 02:08:30 -0700, "abrown360" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>ever hear of the saying "calling the kettle black" claire? your last
>post was the definition. and the warm regards at the end? even though
>its a sig, it makes your response even funnier. just as i dont own
>usenet, you dont either. stick a sock in it sister.
>
>BEST WISHES
>WARM REGARDS
>MERRY CHRISTMAS

For a relative newcomer to this group, you are doing a great job of
making a bad impression.

Three posts to Claire, all basically the same and all proving that you
have comprehension problems. She wasn't *****ing at you. She was
trying to tell you that usenet often gives results that are unexpected
and often unwanted.

If this upsets you, then you need to work on your coping skills. For
many of us, a good ride removes all the tension and makes a few
misguided posts, meaningless.

My belief is that Clare's "warm regards" are sincere. Although you
are fast proving that you don't deserve them.

Life is Good!
Jeff

abrown360 wrote:
> ever hear of the saying "calling the kettle black" claire? your last
> post was the definition. and the warm regards at the end? even though
> its a sig, it makes your response even funnier. just as i dont own
> usenet, you dont either. stick a sock in it sister.
>
> BEST WISHES
> WARM REGARDS
> MERRY CHRISTMAS

Ha ha... I totally have to agree with abrown360. I've asked for
technical advice before and gotten a wash of off-topic replies. In the
beginning I wondered if it was me, if I didn't ask specifically enough.

Question "Can I leave a C02 cartridge in the tapper to save for the
next tire?"
Reply: "Get rid of that thing altogether and get a frame pump."

WTF? I'll admit that I'm doing it here, but if you aren't answering the
question, consider starting another thread. And try not to assume that
because someone is speaking up on behalf of the forum guidelines, that
they somehow need to control their anger.