Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 Lock Unboxing And Review

Can you round up a half-dozen urban yutes and make a video of them defeating the lock in 30 seconds?

OK CB, as much as I hate to admit it, that's actually pretty damn funny. It would be a great video though....wait, where's my ballpoint pen?

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

OK CB, as much as I hate to admit it, that's actually pretty damn funny. It would be a great video though....wait, where's my ballpoint pen?
I think they stopped making the ones that you could twist the lock with the Bic pen... For some reason... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I live in an area where bike stealing is very normal. So I bought one of these kryptonite locks, the orange one.

It saved my bike once allready. I was comming out of the swimming pool and I saw a guy messing with my bike. I asked him what he was doing and he told me that he was "checking it out". After he left I found the dust cover cut in two places and I also found the plastic cover of the cylinder gone white at a point. Probably from an impact. I think he was trying to... steal my bike! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Its a great lock but it weighs about the same as the bike... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif And it rattles too so I have to put some duct tape between the cylinder and the cross bar...

When hipsters attack?

Why doesn't Kryptonite put a 1 to 10 rating on their lock as a melee weapon?

With the popularity, speed and low cost of li-ion battery tools even the best lock just keeps and honest man honest. Now...tracking devices and a remote detonator for a small device under the nose of the seat? That's what I'm talkin' about!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

When hipsters attack?

Why doesn't Kryptonite put a 1 to 10 rating on their lock as a melee weapon?

With the popularity, speed and low cost of li-ion battery tools even the best lock just keeps and honest man honest. Now...tracking devices and a remote detonator for a small device under the nose of the seat? That's what I'm talkin' about!
That looks almost exactly like some "conversations" I have occasionally with my neighbours...

If you got an angle grinder portable or mains powered you can cut the meanest crossbar in like half a minute... I dont think that passer-byers are gonna give a second look if they saw somebody doing that. If you got a good u-lock you might need to cut the cross bar in two places to release the bike, since the good ones are harder to rotate if you just cut the cross bar into one place. Apparently some of the best locks are the very heavy duty chain and padlock combinations. There was an experienced bike lock cutter on a youtube video I saw that was saying that these are the toughest locks to beat... But they probably weigh even more then the U-lock... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif

Agreed on the heavy chains and padlock - I work in NYC and that's what a lot of the delivery guys with the electric bikes use. From the looks of some of these chains, you'd need an industrial grade plasma cutter to get through them. Downside? They probably weigh more than the bike.

Originally Posted by JCNeumann .

Agreed on the heavy chains and padlock - I work in NYC and that's what a lot of the delivery guys with the electric bikes use. From the looks of some of these chains, you'd need an industrial grade plasma cutter to get through them.

Downside? They probably weigh more than the bike.
Kryptonite makes some smaller ones now with an integrated padlock:

There are some nice websites to check for the anti-theft quality of various locks and chains. I think "sold-secure" has a .pdf file on line that reviews lots and lots of chains and u-locks.