Kryptonite locks compromised with Bic pen.

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by slvoid, Sep 14, 2004.

1. slvoid

slvoid New Member

I dunno if anyone picked this up already but it's going on hot and heavy at bikeforums.
    Apparently the kryptonite u-locks and the chain locks that use the circular key can be opened simply by jamming the barrel of a Bic pen into the lock and turning it.
    There are several videos of people compromising the locks in under 20 seconds.

Please make this sticky and let people know. Over 14000 reads as of now on bikeforums alone, you bet the word's already out on the streets. Your kryptonite lock might not be safe.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=66128&page=1&pp=25

Tags:
    haleylx4 likes this.

2. saturdaynight

saturdaynight New Member

Hmmm, it seems that no matter what you have, if someone wants it bad enough, they'll find a way. :rolleyes: I have the Kryptonite cable lock with a standard key lock. But I always try to be within site of my bike at all times, If not, it's locked up in my shed. I know that you can cut the cable with a bolt cutter so my system isn't fail safe either.

3. slvoid

slvoid New Member

That's true but the problem with this is that any 8 year old can walk over to your $800 bike locked up with your $80 lock, slip the end of a BIC pen barrel over it and unlock it and walk away like he owns it.
    This is different that someone walking up with a 20 pound sledge and IMO a serious flaw in the design of what is supposedly one of the toughest bike locks on the market.

4. saturdaynight

saturdaynight New Member

yeah, it really does suck! My brother had his $750 Specialized stollen a couple of years ago. His home owners insurance only covered $550 of it. He had just gotten back from a ride and had it out on the lawn, for less then fifteen minutes. The front door was open and we were right there. The nieghbors are only 40 feet away from us. And this is Vermont for cryin' out loud!!! People are getting pretty ballsy!

OK, I'm geting a little off topic so I'll stop with that. :eek:

5. MattLarson

MattLarson New Member

6. JSWin

JSWin Member

Might not be safe he said. Looks like it isn't safe is more like it. I remember these locks. I didn't think they made them anymore i think we had them when I was a kid. A bic pen no less. Scratch that lock off the list.