Kryptonite U lock problem ...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Colin, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. Colin

    Colin Guest

    I wonder if any of you might have some suggestions on a problem.
    My son has a Kryptonite U lock locking the front wheel of his Zuma
    moped and the lock key has broken off in the lock.
    A local locksmith he contacted said they would be unable to cut the
    lock off - they would have to cut the wheel instead.
    Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?

    Colin
    Wisconsin

    Tags:

  2. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:20:09 -0500, <[email protected]>,
    "Colin" <[email protected]> wrote:
    \
    >A local locksmith he contacted said they would be unable to cut the
    >lock off - they would have to cut the wheel instead.
    >Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?

    Your locksmith doesn't have an angle grider with cutting disc?
    Call a plumber.
    --
    zk

  3. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Colin" wrote: (clip) Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    My neighor lost his key, so I cut the lock off with an oxy-acetylene torch.
    You can buy a small grinder at Harbor Freight for under $20, and do it
    yourself. Cutting the wheel? That's outrageous. Does he own a set if lock
    picks, or just use a battering ram?

  4. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Colin" wrote: (clip) A local locksmith he contacted said they would be
    unable to cut the lock off - they would have to cut the wheel instead.(clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And how would that solve the problem? You would then have a ruined wheel
    and a useless lock. And if the wheel was locked to the frame, you would
    still have to get it off.

  5. maxo

    maxo Guest

    yup, grinder and some patience. If you can fit a small car scissor jack
    in there, that can pop it. Just insert and crank. If you're feeling
    edgy, you can try the liquid nitrogen/sledgehammer myth. Wear googles
    if going this route. LOL

    If it's a circular tumbler, just shove a white plastic Bic pen body in
    there and twist.

  6. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    Leo Lichtman wrote:
    > "Colin" wrote: (clip) Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?
    > My neighor lost his key, so I cut the lock off with an oxy-acetylene torch.
    > You can buy a small grinder at Harbor Freight for under $20, and do it
    > yourself. Cutting the wheel? That's outrageous. Does he own a set if lock
    > picks, or just use a battering ram?

    I just cut one off this weekend with a Dremel.