Ksyrium Elite 18 spoke front whl squirrelly?

curby

May 9, 2006
I'm 75-80kg and when climbing out of the saddle or sprinting this wheel feels flexy/lousy... i put a cheap 32 spoke radially laced taiwan front wheel and the feeling is much more solid... the tires/tubes on them are the same. Is it possible this wheel came under-tensioned from Mavic? i have tried to lube and tighten the spoke nipples (this vintage Elite has normal nipples) but there doesnt seem to be much 'room' for tightening, the nipples arent easily turned like a typical radial wheel. i even have a modified Mavic spoke tool to hold the bladed spoke (to keep it from winding up) I cut a slot across the tool that comes with the Elites with a hacksaw blade and it holds the bladed spokes nice and snug...

Will a Ksyrium Equipe with 20 spokes feel any different? (wishful thinking i bet)the 24 spoke rear wheel that comes with the Equipes is attractive as a training wheel...

Suggestions?

thanks

all's'miles

curby

curby said:
I'm 75-80kg and when climbing out of the saddle or sprinting this wheel feels flexy/lousy... i put a cheap 32 spoke radially laced taiwan front wheel and the feeling is much more solid... the tires/tubes on them are the same. Is it possible this wheel came under-tensioned from Mavic? i have tried to lube and tighten the spoke nipples (this vintage Elite has normal nipples) but there doesnt seem to be much 'room' for tightening, the nipples arent easily turned like a typical radial wheel. i even have a modified Mavic spoke tool to hold the bladed spoke (to keep it from winding up) I cut a slot across the tool that comes with the Elites with a hacksaw blade and it holds the bladed spokes nice and snug...

Will a Ksyrium Equipe with 20 spokes feel any different? (wishful thinking i bet)the 24 spoke rear wheel that comes with the Equipes is attractive as a training wheel...

Suggestions?

thanks

all's'miles

curby
Since all Mavic wheels are covered by a 2 year warrantee for defects, you should take it to your Mavic dealer and have them get it fixed.

curby said:

Suggestions?

thanks

all's'miles

curby
Unless the spokes are totally slack, adding tension will not make the wheel any stiffer. See is the feeling comes from the bearings or is truly coming from the rim.
Stiffness comes from the number and thickness of spokes, the spoke support angle, and the stifness of the rim. If the preload on the bearings isn't there the stiffest wheel will feel squirelly.