Ksyrium Elite Replacement Rim

oldcritrider

New Member
Nov 22, 2004
Been surfing the net trying to find a new rear hoop. No luck. Anyone have a clue besides bending over for my LBS? Thanks.

oldcritrider wrote:
> Been surfing the net trying to find a new rear hoop. No luck. Anyone
> have a clue besides bending over for my LBS? Thanks.

Bend over for Mavic.

"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> oldcritrider wrote:
>> Been surfing the net trying to find a new rear hoop. No luck. Anyone
>> have a clue besides bending over for my LBS? Thanks.

> Bend over for Mavic.

No kidding. You might be able to find one on ebay. Otherwise, its my
understanding that a replacement rim for the Kyserium start at something
like $150.....ouch!

oldcritrider wrote:
> Been surfing the net trying to find a new rear hoop. No luck. Anyone
> have a clue besides bending over for my LBS? Thanks.

Besides EBay, KY might be the only option :)

--

Let the bridges I burn light my way...

bfd wrote:

> "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > oldcritrider wrote:
> >> Been surfing the net trying to find a new rear hoop. No luck. Anyone
> >> have a clue besides bending over for my LBS? Thanks.

> > Bend over for Mavic.

> No kidding. You might be able to find one on ebay. Otherwise, its my
> understanding that a replacement rim for the Kyserium start at something
> like $150.....ouch!

This is the 'cheap' one, I would expect about $100
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

oldcritrider-<< Been surfing the net trying to find a new rear hoop. No luck.
Anyone
have a clue besides bending over for my LBS? >><BR><BR>

I answer-Mavic supplies these and they are unique to their wheels. Sorry, ya
gotta go to the bike shop and even tho it's painful, let them make a few bucks
profit so they can keep the lights on. I doubt the owner leaves work in a new
Mercedes Benz.....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

BFD writes -<< No kidding. You might be able to find one on ebay. Otherwise,
its my
understanding that a replacement rim for the Kyserium start at something
like $150.....ouch! >><BR><BR>

I answer-gee, let's see, it's cold and snowy, so the time is right. These
wheels, like Ksyriums of any type...are not cheap, not well made, not aero, not
light and when ya wack a rim, as all wheels probably will do, wear out the
aluminum rim, instead of the hub, the rim costs a bundle. Hopefully Mavic will
continue for a while making these cuz eventually they will not.

Or just a rim laced to a hub(better than ksyrium BTW), with those old fashioned
round spokes, made by one of those grouchy old wheelbuilders...

cheaper, easier to repair, just as aero, light and less expensive.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BFD writes -<< No kidding. You might be able to find one on

ebay. Otherwise,
> its my
> understanding that a replacement rim for the Kyserium start at

something
> like $150.....ouch! >><BR><BR>
>
> I answer-gee, let's see, it's cold and snowy, so the time is

right. These
> wheels, like Ksyriums of any type...are not cheap, not well

made, not aero, not
> light and when ya wack a rim, as all wheels probably will do,

wear out the
> aluminum rim, instead of the hub, the rim costs a bundle.

Hopefully Mavic will
> continue for a while making these cuz eventually they will not.
>
> Or just a rim laced to a hub(better than ksyrium BTW), with

those old fashioned
> round spokes, made by one of those grouchy old wheelbuilders...
>
> cheaper, easier to repair, just as aero, light and less

expensive.

I have never worked on one of these wheels. Can you swap in a
new rim and get the wheel to tension without specialized
equipment -- like something to compress the rim while you tension
the spoke? I thought I remembered reading something that getting
the spokes to tension without serious twisting was really
tough. -- Jay Beattie.

m-gineering wrote:
> bfd wrote:
> >
> > "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

Anyone
> > > Bend over for Mavic.

> > No kidding. You might be able to find one on ebay. Otherwise, its

my
> > understanding that a replacement rim for the Kyserium start at

something
> > like $150.....ouch!
> >

> This is the 'cheap' one, I would expect about $100
> --

Yikes, $100 for the "cheap" rim?!#@ Amazing, especially when you
consider there are numerous "regular" rims from a variety of mfrs,
including Mavic, that cost "under $50", e.g., Mavic's popular Open Pro
rim can be found as low as $45 each; Velocity aerohead can be found
starting at $35. If you check ebay, it could even be cheaper! Like
Peter says, you don't get any additional value from these wheels? In
fact, "regular" wheels will be more durable, reliable, "just as" light
and cheaper. What more do you need?!

Jay-<< I have never worked on one of these wheels. Can you swap in a
new rim and get the wheel to tension without specialized
equipment -- like something to compress the rim while you tension
the spoke? I thought I remembered reading something that getting
the spokes to tension without serious twisting was really
tough. - >><BR><BR>

I answer-You have to use Mavic spoke wrench and a plastic round thingy with
slots in it to hold the spoke, keep it from twisting. Lots of lube or these
things spokes and niples will freeze tight making a really nice icicle looking
thing as you twist it around.

As for lacing and truing, just like a normal wheel. The spoke tension will do
what a steel spoke will do for the rim. Just aluminum spokes are an answer to a
not asked question. As time goes on, we are seeing more and more of these spoke
break. Not surprised as aluminum has a short-ish lifewhen compared to steel.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Jay-<< I have never worked on one of these wheels. Can you swap in a
> new rim and get the wheel to tension without specialized
> equipment -- like something to compress the rim while you tension
> the spoke? I thought I remembered reading something that getting
> the spokes to tension without serious twisting was really
> tough. - >><BR><BR>
>
> I answer-You have to use Mavic spoke wrench and a plastic round thingy with
> slots in it to hold the spoke, keep it from twisting. Lots of lube or these
> things spokes and niples will freeze tight making a really nice icicle looking
> thing as you twist it around.
>
> As for lacing and truing, just like a normal wheel. The spoke tension will do
> what a steel spoke will do for the rim. Just aluminum spokes are an answer to a
> not asked question. As time goes on, we are seeing more and more of these spoke
> break. Not surprised as aluminum has a short-ish lifewhen compared to steel.

Ksyrium elite has normal steel spokes and normal nipples.

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Or just a rim laced to a hub(better than ksyrium BTW), with those old
> fashioned round spokes, made by one of those grouchy old
> wheelbuilders...
>
> cheaper, easier to repair, just as aero, light and less expensive.

Peter, your problem is branding. You haven't spent millions establishing the
"Grouchy Old Wheelbuilder" brand. People like that kind of thing... er...
apparently.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole said:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Or just a rim laced to a hub(better than ksyrium BTW), with those old
> fashioned round spokes, made by one of those grouchy old
> wheelbuilders...
>
> cheaper, easier to repair, just as aero, light and less expensive.

Peter, your problem is branding. You haven't spent millions establishing the
"Grouchy Old Wheelbuilder" brand. People like that kind of thing... er...
apparently.

Matt O.
Victims of fashion. People do not think engineering when buying these wheels, its all how much they paid for a name and some "aero-looking" spokes.

The Ksyrium rims with their THREADED rims, yes, the rims are THREADED, make for a really bad idea. Why? Its a BIGGER HOLE in the rim and the hole is sharp edged!

And aluminum spokes on the higher ends are no more aero than straight gauge. But building a wheel with finite spoke life is a good thing for the bottom line. I bet no SC-SSL wheel outlives the fad. Putting the bulky nipples AT THE RIM furthers the poor aerodynamics.

Even the Campy hidden nipples are light years ahead of this crappy design. And the real reason for theading the rim? For the tubeless tire fad in the mountain bike industry. It was cool in that field, why not sell it to the road crowd?

Weisse Luft wrote:

> Victims of fashion. People do not think engineering when buying these
> wheels, its all how much they paid for a name and some "aero-looking"
> spokes.

Actually, they probably do think they're buying engineering, but most people
aren't technically savvy enough to see through the BS. This is true even among
scientists and engineers who should know better. Too many years in the
university bubble or their own narrow field, and they lose all common sense.
They even forget their high school physics.

> I bet no SC-SSL wheel outlives the fad.

The people who buy this stuff will jump on the next fad long before the current
gear wears out anyway.

Matt O.

"The people who buy this stuff will jump on the next fad long before the current
gear wears out anyway."

Not a big bling poseur, mate. Just got a free wheel that I wouldn't mind making serviceable for a reasonable price.

M-engineering-<< Ksyrium elite has normal steel spokes and normal nipples.
>><BR><BR>

Yep, I was talking about regular Ksyriums. The Elite takes a little more time
to lace since ya gotta get the spoke/nipple thru the thing that screws into the
rim, blue loctite that, screw it in, while lacing. Then the wheel builds like a
wheel.
You need another tool to tighten these things into the rim, different from the
Ksyrium spoke wrench.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.