Votes: 49 40.5%
  • DURA-ACE

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • OTHERS - LIST BELOW

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

SCOOBA STEVE

Aug 7, 2003
i was after some feedback on the Ksyrium elite wheels. I am after a set to race with and they fit my budget. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with them or got any tips. I was told that the cheaper Shimano r535 wheels were not strong enough for racing as they flex too much.
Any thoughts

Originally posted by SCOOBA STEVE
i was after some feedback on the Ksyrium elite wheels. I am after a set to race with and they fit my budget. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with them or got any tips. I was told that the cheaper Shimano r535 wheels were not strong enough for racing as they flex too much.
Any thoughts

I race on elites and don't have any complaints other than the weight, although they are probably in the mid-weight range for wheelsets (1715g). If you want strength these are the ones to go for. Definately sturdy enough for crit racing. Mine have taken a beating and have yet required trueing. To combine both strength and weight at a decent price I would look into a custom set (my next wheelset, I hope). Look for a certified wheel builder in your area and ask some questions.

Nice wheelset. They can handle some brute punishment. IMO, they are not the lightest, but not what I would consider a heavy wheel. Good luck.

Scuba Steve (The Original)

If you want a bullet-proof and rigid wheelset, go for Ksyrium. The disadvantage is lacking comfort - the Shimano wheels gives a much softer ride, dampens the road shock.

I race in triathlons on Velocity Deep V's and found that they are indestructable and very fast on the flat. Not extremely lightweight but given that I am 98kg then they are perfect.

They spin up Grrrrrreat and just as light as any other. I'm 185 and they are durable too.

I've done about 3000km on Elites and they are indeed bombproof. Remained true and round and the braking surface hasn't shown any sign of grooving or such that I've found with other wheels.

Originally posted by old&slow
I've done about 3000km on Elites and they are indeed bombproof. Remained true and round and the braking surface hasn't shown any sign of grooving or such that I've found with other wheels.

Well, that's good to hear! They come stock on the Cannondale R1000, which is one of the bikes I covet. According to the manufacturer, they will hold up even for clydesdales (240lbs), but they recommend that the SL would be a tad better.

Any thoughts

FIR Net97's

I also commute on these too and they have been great so far! (came standard on my Wilier).

Would love a set of Ksyrium wheels, though! Are they not the sexiest wheelset on the market?! I can't think of any better looking...could be proven wrong, though!

I use Campag Zondas, and found them great. They're cheaper too, and look every bit as good as the ubiquitous Ksyriums. Don't be a lemming - look around!

Originally posted by aistewart
I use Campag Zondas, and found them great. They're cheaper too, and look every bit as good as the ubiquitous Ksyriums. Don't be a lemming - look around!

Great use of the word ubiquitous. Besides, how cool looking is the Campy Eurus wheelset, which I currently covet.

Any thoughts
:mad:

I have had a pair ksyrium ssl that I used on my cannondale caad 5. I weigh between 93-97kgs when riding.....I have used them in triathlons, road races and crits......and only for racing....not training. I found the rear wheel started to fracture at the rim near the spokes.....at the same time I started popping drive spokes every now and then.....plus needed to get them trued every month.....may have just been a bad wheel, but I think heavier riders might want to avoid the sales hype and examine whether these we wheels are suited for heavier riders.....you know how it is....once the wheel starts playing up....your confidence in the equipment becomes a problem.....I might also add that I really enjoyed the way the wheel felt on the road...

Originally posted by shaneo
:mad:

I have had a pair ksyrium ssl that I used on my cannondale caad 5. I weigh between 93-97kgs when riding.....I have used them in triathlons, road races and crits......and only for racing....not training. I found the rear wheel started to fracture at the rim near the spokes.....at the same time I started popping drive spokes every now and then.....plus needed to get them trued every month.....may have just been a bad wheel, but I think heavier riders might want to avoid the sales hype and examine whether these we wheels are suited for heavier riders.....you know how it is....once the wheel starts playing up....your confidence in the equipment becomes a problem.....I might also add that I really enjoyed the way the wheel felt on the road...

True, very true. My experience is that with new wheels - no matter what type or brand - you have little or no problems. It is later on in the life of the wheel - several thousand miles, in most cases - where the problems begin to occur.

This is the first bad report I have seen on Ksyrium Elites or the SSLs. However, I am not looking for racing wheels, just a set that will carry my weight for several years without complaint.

Might also look at RolfPrima Vigor, of if your budget is tight, get on ebay and find a set of Rolf Vector Pro's - $300 should get you a clean set.

I've been riding Vector Pros off and on for two years - never needed truing, never a moment's problem. A tad bit lighter than the Elites, with lower spoke count and aero rim. Same rough ride, too... and they fly on the downhills.

Originally posted by JohnO
Might also look at RolfPrima Vigor, of if your budget is tight, get on ebay and find a set of Rolf Vector Pro's - $300 should get you a clean set.

I've been riding Vector Pros off and on for two years - never needed truing, never a moment's problem. A tad bit lighter than the Elites, with lower spoke count and aero rim. Same rough ride, too... and they fly on the downhills.

here here! Rolf Vector pros from 2000 are nothing short of fab however I am 11 stone or 70 kgs now and when i got them in 2000 summer I was 10 stone. I am a climber and they react well on european climbs, sprint superbly, descend like nothing else and wind up whooshing like helicopter blades in a sprint. Never had a problem in 2000km, never needed truing, no broken spokes. However some reports of freehub noise or ratchet problems after certian distance? They are around 1700g but if you get a new pair should be very cheap now. Vector Comps are bomb proof too. Try Cosmic elites for bomb proof from 2003, stiff, wind up well and look good, aero profile.

Originally posted by wamara
I race on elites and don't have any complaints other than the weight, although they are probably in the mid-weight range for wheelsets (1715g).

Hahhah, did you weigh them yourself? I did once at the lbs, they are 1800g without the skewers, which add 110g. Not exactly lightweight, but durable and spin well.

If you are still in the market for a new and light wheelset, FSA (Full Speed Ahead) just came out with a wicked awsome design. They put a third flange on the hub body with a third set of of spokes. The wheel is lighter than the Ksyrium SSC SL and is about half the price. Check with your local shop man, I ride with a guy who has a set and they're sweet. But if you can't get them the Elites are a great wheel too. That's what I ride and I have no complaints.

Originally posted by chr
Hahhah, did you weigh them yourself? I did once at the lbs, they are 1800g without the skewers, which add 110g. Not exactly lightweight, but durable and spin well.

Well I am so sorry to have got the weights wrong. Please forgive me darling. Actual weights for my actual rolf pros are front 825, rear 980g, skewers 112 which for you darling is 1805g pr less skewers and 1917g complete. Are you happy with that.Hurry along. Go and find some other detail on some other website to snigger about. Big kiss!! Hence those vector pros which are 305g more than current 2004 Mavic SLs feel great. Zondas are claimed 1600 (have to out the ish or +/- to stop you coming back and snigerring darling) so would be a great buy if they are as rigid, aero and strong as Vector Pros but know noone who has ridden them.Have seen them for £230 which is $345 (oh go on correct me honey) so offer amazing VFM. Also American Classic wheelset seem greact VFM, Corimas too.Bye darling.Will you sleep tonight if my weights are wrong.Poor you........