Ksyrium Elite Wheels?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by SCOOBA STEVE, Aug 13, 2003.

?

WHAT WHEELS DO YOU RACE ON

1. Ksyrium Elites

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ksyrium SSL

52 vote(s)
    43.0%
  3. SHIMANO (105 OR ULTEGRA)

49 vote(s)
    40.5%
  4. DURA-ACE

16 vote(s)
    13.2%
  5. OTHERS - LIST BELOW

5 vote(s)
    4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. capwater

capwater New Member

540's are a low end/entry level wheelset about $300, whereas the Elites run close to $600. Now price doesn't always mean much, but they really are two different class of animals more specifically two distinct marketing price points. At 190lbs I appreciate the bombproofness of the Elites.

2. shokhead12

shokhead12 New Member

I've seen the elites for 429,a very good price. I'm 6',192 and wouldnt use the shimano's. Give them to me free and i'd just sell them so i would rather just not have them. Thats right,low end but not bad looking and thats why u see so many on the new bikes. The elites are boomproff. They go forever and never need to be trued. Not the lightest but thats not alway good either. There's just something about the shimano's but hay,if u got them and like them,great.

3. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Actually over here the 540's sell for 100 - 200 more than the Elites. I actually think they are aimed at the same market, Club racing wheels, Certainly wouldnt train or go to big events on either. I have seen a few 540's shed spokes, but I have seen Elites do that also.... A whell I have never tried but gets good repoprts is the Bontreiger (not sure of spelling)....not sure of the price range though.....

4. Brizza

Brizza New Member

We do realise that the three factors impacting on the rolling resistance are:

Weight (as they are rotating)
    Aerodynamics (spoke count and rim depth),
    Hub quality (it's very worth repacking your hubs if they are old or cheap).

Wheel strength is also a major factor for some riders, while others are seeking stiffness and low rolling resistance.
    I wouldn't use 540's for club racing they weigh far too much.
    Elite's are only a little better but loose the aero advantage of the 540's.

I've heard good reports on the Bontarager wheelsets. American Classic and Campy also make very good wheelsets.

Scroll through the Weight Weenies List [​IMG] for the major brands, links to manufacture page on the far left.

Brian

5. shokhead12

shokhead12 New Member

What aero advantage? No aero anyway till 20mph or so. Never seen either shed spokes. The Bon X Lites are nice.

6. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Ive seen 3 540 back wheels loose a spoke, 1 under my big bum.

I have seen 3 Ksyrium's pop a blade, any truth to the VERY high price to replace them btw?

7. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Not sure if they are of equal importance for rolling. I find a slightly heavy wheel with good hubs and aero will roll good, a light wheel with good hubs but not so good aero (ie the topolino) will not roll so good, I think for general racing (with no hills) slightly heavier with good aero is better than all out light.
    Still dont like Elites ;)

ps, where the weight is on a wheel is also very important, Heavy hub with light rims is better than light hub with heavy rims.....

8. shokhead12

shokhead12 New Member

The ? was what wheels do you race on so since i dont race,i'll have to go on what u racers say. Everyday ride i still dont like the 540's but that imo.

9. Brizza

Brizza New Member

Fixey, light or fewer spokes are also a weight advantage, though of course the lighter the rim the less durable (unless well manufactured).

Shokhead, you are correct that aero advantage kicks in around 20mph, but with a good wheelset I think that should be very attainable.

Unfortunatly the racing fraternity spend huge sums on wheelsets, however the performance improvement is dramatic with a good wheelset.

I hope the discussion as been informative for you.

Brian

10. RC2

RC2 New Member

Aero advantage is a bigger deal for wheels. Noticable impact in general occurs in the low 20mph's, true. But if your hub is moving at 20mph, and there is zero head/tailwind, the bottom of the tire/wheel (moving at zero speed relative to the pavé -- assuming your not skidding) is also at zero mph relative to the air around it. The top of the tire/wheel is then moving at 40mph! (Only the 90/180 front/rear will be moving at 20mph relative to the air arount it.)

11. cuervo

cuervo New Member

I race with Bontrager Race Lite, they are strong (my wheigt is 84 Kg. and never need to be trued after more than 2,500 Kms), bladed aereo spokes and considerably light. I'm very happy with them and they where stock on my bike (Trek 2300 '02)

12. bigfloppyllama

bigfloppyllama New Member

Just got in a set of Speed Dream Wheels (can't remember specific name, it's new and not on the site). At 1407g they're pretty light for clinchers, but I imagine they'll hold up very well with 20/28 wheelsmith spoking, Velocity Aerohead rims, and White Industry hubs. I had the R540's before and they're awful in my opinion. The rim is slightly too large which makes mounting and unmounting tires an utter pain. Along with that, the low spoke count, irregular spoke nipple sizing, and lateral flexibility don't lend themselves to wheels I would pay for (came with the bike).

13. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I upgraded to the Elites a year ago from Shimano R540's and noticed a big improvement in the stiffness. They remain true after several thousand miles and I am yet to replace a spoke (this was a monthly occurance on my 540's after about 6 months). I did dent a rim on a nasty pot hole at 30 mph (I'm over 200 lbs and I caught it full force but still rode 30 miles home) and my LBS replaced the rim for $85 (US). One complaint is that for a $550 set of wheels, Mavic uses skewers that are heavy enough to anchor a boat. Swap them out for some Zipp or Salsa Ti Skewers.
    :cool:

14. Stelvio

Stelvio New Member

Fixey, Care to elaborate more on you experience with Topolinos? I'd be interested to know more.

Thanks,
    Stelvio

15. garytiu

garytiu New Member

I used to ride on 540s too (great looks), and they were smooth once the bike started rolling. Upgraded to Mavic Ksyrium SL (great looks too), and they guys are way better for acceleration. But the biggest difference: stiffness and 'bullet-proofness'! I've hit potholes and gutters on both, and the Ksyriums show absolutely no signs of any distortion [whereas the 540s lost their 'centre' after a few hundrew kms.].
    Only thing I don't like on the Ksyrium: the noisy hub, but it doesn't seem to affect the smoothness, so I can live with it.

16. dfvcad

dfvcad New Member

I would go with American Classic 350 or Velomax Orion II

17. CycleFreakLS

CycleFreakLS New Member

I have the DA 7701s. They have served me well (no problems) for 10K miles. Never been out of true or needed repair. Cannot say anything about the new DA wheels. A friend rides the Shimano 540s (older version,?). I've seen hit-miss comments about this wheelset. He doesn't have any problems, but that doesn't mean that others don't have issues.

Two others ride the Ksyriums, one the SSL the other the Elites. The guy on the Elite is a Ironman Tri dude who weights ~195 lbs. He loves those wheels. The other guy is also an Ironman Tri dude ... weight, I'd guess 165 lbs. Neither have ever had problems.

Lastly, another friend rides Velomax Ascents. I've swapped wheelsets and ridden these. These too are excellent wheels.

If you're really stretched, Nashbar has a descent sale on the Cane Creek Aerohead wheelset. Can't offer any info on these. Hunt around. I know someone who got a set of Velomax Orions from the Oceanside Supergo for $400; that's a steal. Whatever you do, don't pay list. None of these are worth the full MSRP.

Best.

18. TTyed

TTyed New Member

I use Zipp 303s. Kind of hard to top a wheelset that weighs only 1100gms. It is very noticeable on hilly terrain.

19. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Significant aero advantage starts at about 35 k's relative to the wind. Flat spokes (as opposed to round spokes) have advantages at much lower bike speeds because the wheel, relative to the air, is going twice as fast as the frame at the top while being completely stationary when in contact with the road. Having spokes evenly distributed has aerodynamic advantages as opposed to having them in groups (like the 540s). Even distribution of spokes is also better for strength, no matter how good the rim is. ;)

20. jazeejeff

jazeejeff New Member

Just got a pair of second hand elites two weeks ago. previous owner prefered american classics. i was using open pros with 105 hubs before. fix a new pair of conti grand prix 3000 tyres and change my chain. re-use my 105 cassette.

initial rides felt like the wheels were rubbing against the frame or brakes. i could feel the drag. checked every where but can't find any contact with the rim or tyres. i suspect that the hubs was the culprit.

after talking with other ksyrium owners, they too encountered the same situation. have anyone else encountered this? what did you do to overcome it?

should i send the hubs for servicing?