• SHIMANO (105 OR ULTEGRA)

Votes: 49 40.5%
  • DURA-ACE

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • OTHERS - LIST BELOW

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
jazeejeff said:
Just got a pair of second hand elites two weeks ago. previous owner prefered american classics. i was using open pros with 105 hubs before. fix a new pair of conti grand prix 3000 tyres and change my chain. re-use my 105 cassette.

initial rides felt like the wheels were rubbing against the frame or brakes. i could feel the drag. checked every where but can't find any contact with the rim or tyres. i suspect that the hubs was the culprit.

after talking with other ksyrium owners, they too encountered the same situation. have anyone else encountered this? what did you do to overcome it?

should i send the hubs for servicing?

You do know you get a tool to adjust the hubs on Elites.

Anyone have experience with the new FSA RD-400? Weight is 1450gms, and can be had for under $300.00

have a set of Ksyrium Elite Wheels on my road bike... I believe they are the best for general road work... solid and a good weight for the strength.

I would probably go a set of Ksyrium SSL for racing though and a set of Heds for TTs

but what do I know ?

shokhead said:
Get what you pay for.
Well, I see many used Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelsets that people are selling on ebay. In contrast, I haven't even seen one used FSA RD-400 wheelset. Either the FSA RD-400s are the new kid on the block, or the Ksyriums SL plain suck.

Personally, I really like the new FSA K force carbon fiber clincher wheelset. Listed at 1250 gm per pair, they are only 100 gms heavier than my tubular set!!

TTyed said:
Well, I see many used Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelsets that people are selling on ebay. In contrast, I haven't even seen one used FSA RD-400 wheelset. Either the FSA RD-400s are the new kid on the block, or the Ksyriums SL plain suck.

Personally, I really like the new FSA K force carbon fiber clincher wheelset. Listed at 1250 gm per pair, they are only 100 gms heavier than my tubular set!!

The reason you see lots of Ksyriums on E Bay is because they're so popular. They also hold their value very well. I regularly see used pairs being sold for 75% or more of their original retail price. Silly i know but true.

TTyed said:

Well we are talking about elites and they are different then the SL's. Elites are bulletproff but i dont herte that about the SL's. FSA are new i think at wheelsets.

shokhead said:
Well we are talking about elites and they are different then the SL's. Elites are bulletproff but i dont herte that about the SL's. FSA are new i think at wheelsets.

My wife's done about 15000 k's in 2 years on her elites and their are bulletproof. No adjustments, still dead straight. She rides on pretty rough roads in training and time trials with the best in the country in her age group.

Great wheels.

shokhead said:
Get what you pay for.

And in the case of K's you're paying for marketing.

They have similar aero drag to a 32 spoke Open Pro and are one of the heaviest wheels in their price range.

They are stiff and strong, but on the whole you are paying for marketing.

Brizza said:
And in the case of K's you're paying for marketing.

They have similar aero drag to a 32 spoke Open Pro and are one of the heaviest wheels in their price range.

They are stiff and strong, but on the whole you are paying for marketing.
You must have seen that thread over weight weenies with the drag tests.

P.S. That 32 spoke Open Pro had sapim cx-ray spokes (butted oval aero spoke) ~257 grams avg drag vs ~250 grams avg drag for the Kysrium SSC SLs.

The control was a 32 round spoke Mavic MA3 ~350 grams avg drag.

That test was a good example of how switching from round spokes to butted oval spokes can make a huge difference.

Jimmy C said:
If you are still in the market for a new and light wheelset, FSA (Full Speed Ahead) just came out with a wicked awsome design. They put a third flange on the hub body with a third set of of spokes. The wheel is lighter than the Ksyrium SSC SL and is about half the price. Check with your local shop man, I ride with a guy who has a set and they're sweet. But if you can't get them the Elites are a great wheel too. That's what I ride and I have no complaints.
what model? i see a rd400 as well as rd600.

Cryoplasm said:
Doesn't say much more other than the general specs.

Suggest you drop into your local bike shop then.
… Have a good look at them, touch them, roll em round the shop.

Industry Nine wheels..

www.IndustryNine.net

These are probably the best hubs available today, and the spokes are the stiffest I've seen... you can build them on any Rim you choose, but they're ready to ship on DT Swiss 4.1, 5.1 or 6.1 depending on the hub you chose..

Price is very reasonable for hand made in the USA stuff.

I also like my Rolf Vector Pros. I've had them for five years and they are still perfectly true. I did break a spoke on the rear wheel last year; the rear appeared true right up until the point where the spoke went spung. After that was fixed, I heard a grinding coming from somewhere in the drivetrain. After replacing pretty much all components except the DA derailleur ( :mad: ), I finally determined the hub's bearings were trashed and the hub needed a complete rebuild.

Be aware that some components required for the rebuild on these wheels are in short supply. Also, do not lose the spoke nipples if you need to replace a spoke on the Rolfs. They are non-standard and very difficult to find. Thanks Trek and Rolf for that falling out. :rolleyes:

JohnO said:
Only problem I've ever had with the Rolf (or more correctly, DT) freehub is the noise. Put a set of these on a resonating carbon frame like my Trek YFoil, and you get that strafed-by-stukas sound when coasting: rat-tat-tat-tat. However, since that doesn't seem to slow the bike down, I'm not concerned with it. I weigh around 175 pounds, have yet to faze my old Vector Pros. They're nothing if not stout.

Also picked up a set of Zondas last summer - cbike.com had them for $350. Not bad, though the hubs felt a tad bit rough. But maybe I was just spoiled by the Rolf's bearings, ultimate smooth there. The Zondas seem to ride a bit softer than the Rolfs. Very handsome, too, with their black finish and silver lettering. I still think the Rolfs have a bit more speed on the downhill, but that is at best a subjective judgment. I did take the liberty of snagging a set of Rolf ti skewers off of ebay for the Zondas, the stock Campy skewers were rather heavy.