Votes: 52 43.0%
  • SHIMANO (105 OR ULTEGRA)

Votes: 49 40.5%
  • DURA-ACE

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • OTHERS - LIST BELOW

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
I have Campag Eurus. Found them to be very durable wheels. I weigh 180 lbs and have used them regularly for the last four months with no problems. Even use them for winter training. I know, don't tell me, i shouldn't but i simply can't resist :)

The rims are super stiff. Mmm but i do wander from time to time whether their weight offsets any real aero advantage compared to other similarly priced wheels with shallower rims depths. Maybe someone with greater knowledge could comment.

Also think the Zondas are probably better value for money. Hardly any difference in weight versus the Eurus but i decided to get the superior hubs.

By the way i would love a pair of Zipp 303's. Ahh one can always dream :)

Only problem I've ever had with the Rolf (or more correctly, DT) freehub is the noise. Put a set of these on a resonating carbon frame like my Trek YFoil, and you get that strafed-by-stukas sound when coasting: rat-tat-tat-tat. However, since that doesn't seem to slow the bike down, I'm not concerned with it. I weigh around 175 pounds, have yet to faze my old Vector Pros. They're nothing if not stout.

Also picked up a set of Zondas last summer - cbike.com had them for $350. Not bad, though the hubs felt a tad bit rough. But maybe I was just spoiled by the Rolf's bearings, ultimate smooth there. The Zondas seem to ride a bit softer than the Rolfs. Very handsome, too, with their black finish and silver lettering. I still think the Rolfs have a bit more speed on the downhill, but that is at best a subjective judgment. I did take the liberty of snagging a set of Rolf ti skewers off of ebay for the Zondas, the stock Campy skewers were rather heavy.

Originally posted by nurul
here here! Rolf Vector pros from 2000 are nothing short of fab however I am 11 stone or 70 kgs now and when i got them in 2000 summer I was 10 stone. I am a climber and they react well on european climbs, sprint superbly, descend like nothing else and wind up whooshing like helicopter blades in a sprint. Never had a problem in 2000km, never needed truing, no broken spokes. However some reports of freehub noise or ratchet problems after certian distance? They are around 1700g but if you get a new pair should be very cheap now. Vector Comps are bomb proof too. Try Cosmic elites for bomb proof from 2003, stiff, wind up well and look good, aero profile.

Originally posted by Jimmy C
If you are still in the market for a new and light wheelset, FSA (Full Speed Ahead) just came out with a wicked awsome design. They put a third flange on the hub body with a third set of of spokes. The wheel is lighter than the Ksyrium SSC SL and is about half the price. Check with your local shop man, I ride with a guy who has a set and they're sweet. But if you can't get them the Elites are a great wheel too. That's what I ride and I have no complaints.

Thanks for that info.I did not know that FSA sold wheels until you told me.I have checked out their website and have found 4 wheels sets from 1.4kg claimed to 1.63kg claimed and they looked fab. the cheapest wheelset at 1.63kg is only £200 or $330 which is $55 cheaper than Zondas, lighter and FSA seems to be taking over everywhere. I just need to know how these new rims ride. Mavic SSC or SLs are just a product of MAvic's intelligent marketing.Pros ride them first and so many other decent and cheaper rims don't get ridden reviewed or tested.

I'm currently having a custom bike built for me. A titanium Seven. Haven't picked the wheels yet - but have been looking at the Kysrium Elite. Am a 49 year old female, and weigh 125 to 130 lbs. Don't race, but ride about 150 miles a week, and average about 19-21 mph. Am wondering if I could have input on whether these would be the right wheels for me - or if people have other ideas (and why).

Originally posted by lesliegee
I'm currently having a custom bike built for me. A titanium Seven. Haven't picked the wheels yet - but have been looking at the Kysrium Elite. Am a 49 year old female, and weigh 125 to 130 lbs. Don't race, but ride about 150 miles a week, and average about 19-21 mph. Am wondering if I could have input on whether these would be the right wheels for me - or if people have other ideas (and why).

First of all, how can you go custom and then think about cheaping out on the wheels. If you have decided on Ksyeriums then you should get the top of the line. That being said, since weight is not a factor for you as it is for some of the guys, I would certainly recommend testing a variety to see what ride quality you like best. I happen to love the Campy wheels. Their is great variety out there.

I love my Ksyrium Elites (2003 models) with Continental Force and Attack tyres. The wheels look great, from on and off the bike. They sound fantastic when going at speed. They spin oh so smoothly. (No I don't take them to bed, only because I couldn't fit them in with the golf clubs, sculling blades and the trouble and strife).

I'm glad to see other riders who have done quite a few miles find them durable. I've only done about 1000 km on mine. My LBS talked me out of the SSL's because the price difference could not be justified in performance.

Based on my experience I'd recommend these wheels to anyone except people who are very discerning and experienced (they'd know what they wanted without my humble opinion anyway).

I picked up a set of 2003s with only about 6 months gentle use and have loved them from day 1. Just this past weekend while riding I hammered a huge pothole that shook every inch of my body. I thought the wheel would be trashed (especially at 190lb), but it is as true as it came out of the factory. A new tube later and I was on my way. They spin so smoothly you just want to push them faster. The best wheel out there? Probably not, but for the cash (used $250USD) I can't be happier.

Originally posted by shokhead1
Explain how they reflect poorly?

Go to the link and you will see that even the Ksyrium Super Light (SL) are substantially heavier than cheaper and more aero wheelsets.

The SL only just made it inside the 1600g limit on the list.

If Mavic didn't pay TDF riders to use their wheels they would have nearly the market share they currently hold.

Shop around Mavic have lost their competitive advantage in racing wheelsets.

Brian

I havnt heard much good about Elite's either. I club race on Shim 540's and they roll and keep true under my fat butt (120kg), I find them a fast set on the flats. My top wheels are Topolino's, was surpised by there roll (or lack of it) but GEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ they go up hills alright, which is a shame coz I dont..... :(

Anyone looking for a second hand set of Topolino's by chance? j/k

Originally posted by Brizza
Go to the link and you will see that even the Ksyrium Super Light (SL) are substantially heavier than cheaper and more aero wheelsets.

If Mavic didn't pay TDF riders to use their wheels they would have nearly the market share they currently hold.

Brian

ah well they are listed as being exactly 1500 gms on their site and that works for me
;-)

Originally posted by Brizza

Brian
Lighter isnt always better. Cheap is cheap.

Originally posted by Fixey
I havnt heard much good about Elite's either. I club race on Shim 540's and they roll and keep true under my fat butt (120kg), I find them a fast set on the flats. My top wheels are Topolino's, was surpised by there roll (or lack of it) but GEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ they go up hills alright, which is a shame coz I dont..... :(

You havent heard much good about the elites either.Get out of the hole your in. I wouldnt put that 540 **** on my bike if they were free.Theres a reason you see them on so many new bikes and its not because they are so great.

not even if the 540s were free? now youre just being silly, they are what they are, they seem like a decent wheel as long as you arent too big or rough on your gear, heck fixeys riding them at 120kg

Always interested for the right price.

Originally posted by shokhead12
You havent heard much good about the elites either.Get out of the hole your in. I wouldnt put that 540 **** on my bike if they were free.Theres a reason you see them on so many new bikes and its not because they are so great.

You have shares in Ksyrium or something? Geez dude, where just giving our personal opinion on wheels here....
Im thinking you may be a skinny little fellow, because I have no problem getting 540's to roll on flats but some of the smaller guys I ride with dont like em....Perhaps wheels respond differantly to differant riders depending on your size and riding style? you think? mabey?
Still havnt heard anything good about Elites (which are cheaper than 540's over here btw)

You have shares in Ksyrium or something? Geez dude, where just giving our personal opinion on wheels here....
Im thinking you may be a skinny little fellow, because I have no problem getting 540's to roll on flats but some of the smaller guys I ride with dont like em....Perhaps wheels respond differantly to differant riders depending on your size and riding style? you think? mabey?
Still havnt heard anything good about Elites (which are cheaper than 540's over here btw)

they are supposed to be bomb proof for starters