Ksyrium Elite

frusso

May 7, 2004
I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. How do you know if the rear hub needs adjustment? Sometimes on the down stroke I get a small section when I feel like there is (dead spot) no drive on the wheel. Am I not pulling up on the upstroke as my other foot is going over the top. I do not seem to get that with my Bontrager Pro Race wheels.

Thank You
Frank

FWIW. The Freehub probably does need some minor servicing because it sounds like the pawls are not ratcheting properly ...

You can EITHER disassemble the Freehub ([COLOR= #808080]you have to remove the axle and use a ¿10mm? Allen Wrench inserted on the non-driveside of the hub[/COLOR]), clean-and-replace the grease with some WHITE LITHIUM ([COLOR= #808080]or lighter[/COLOR]) grease ...

OR, the sure-to-be-criticized option if you don't have the time-or-inclination method would be to use the oft-dreaded WD-40, and give the junction between the hub body & Freehub a couple of quick squirts ... hopefully some of the WD-40 will penetrate to the pawls BECAUSE most of the WD-40 will stay on the outside of the Freehub concerns about drowning the bearings should be minimal.

If some WD-40 makes it to the pawls, then it will hopefully free up the existing grease to some extant ([COLOR= #808080]grease can dry up[/COLOR]).

Here's a good video on the right way to service a Mavic cassette body.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5arUG3iy0Q Just be careful not to lose the little springs that are attached to the pawls.

If the task looks daunting, your local shop can do it for around $20. I do mine once a year, whether they need it or not./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif