Ksyrium spokes

spuik

Aug 5, 2009
I had a small accident and now have to replace a spoke. My wheels are Ksyrium SSC SL from year 2000-2003 I guess. It was hard but I did find a place that sold replacement spokes.
It is really hard to install the spoke however. It feels it's too short. So I compared it to the old one and it's 4-5mm (about a fifth of an inch) shorter. I'm sure I ordered the right kind of spoke (rear non-drive) and I double checked that's what it is.
Is it supposed to be difficult to stretch the spoke into place or is this one too short? Could the old spoke have stretched a little and be longer because of that? Or is it just that newer Ksyriums these days have shorter spokes?
Also, is it necessary to use Loctite for the thread?

spuik said:
I had a small accident and now have to replace a spoke. My wheels are Ksyrium SSC SL from year 2000-2003 I guess. It was hard but I did find a place that sold replacement spokes.
It is really hard to install the spoke however. It feels it's too short. So I compared it to the old one and it's 4-5mm (about a fifth of an inch) shorter. I'm sure I ordered the right kind of spoke (rear non-drive) and I double checked that's what it is.
Is it supposed to be difficult to stretch the spoke into place or is this one too short? Could the old spoke have stretched a little and be longer because of that? Or is it just that newer Ksyriums these days have shorter spokes?
I don't have my pair of Ksyrium SSC SL wheels any longer so I can't tell you what the proper spoke length is ...

Since there are only THREE sizes on the wheelset, the easiest way for YOU to ensure that you have the correct spoke is to hold the replacement spoke against a "sample" on the two wheels you have ...

How does the "new" spoke compare with the front wheel's spokes? The driveside spokes? The non-driveside spokes?

NO with regard to the Loctite, IMO.

--​

Now, presuming you have the correct length spoke, the way to replace the spoke (any spoke) is to loosen ALL the spokes on the wheel, insert the replacement spoke(s), and then re-tension & true the wheel.

BTW. If you only have the plastic spoke wrench that came with the wheel then you will quickly realize that you need to buy the 'real' spoke wrench which is made of metal ...

IMO, the only reason MAVIC includes that plastic spoke wrench is to let you know that a non-standard spoke wrench exists.

spuik said:

Wrong spoke.

I use Lindseed oil on the threads and also between the spoke and the insert.

Thanks for the replies. I need to get one of those 'real' spoke wrenches. Do you think I can get it at my LSB or do I need to order it online?
I'm starting to lose too many riding days, I have to get my mountain bike out of the garage :(

spuik said:
Thanks for the replies. I need to get one of those 'real' spoke wrenches. Do you think I can get it at my LSB or do I need to order it online?
I'm starting to lose too many riding days, I have to get my mountain bike out of the garage :(

Have them(or order) this one-the best.

Park Tool Website

I compared the new spoke to the driveside and the front wheel spokes and it was way too long so it must be the right kind of spoke. I guess it's just a matter of loosening the other spokes to be able to install it easily. I still don't understand how it's 5mm shorter than the old one though.

Well I managed to get the spoke in place with the right tool but because it's shorter than the other spokes it's impossible to get it true. I got it pretty close to no lateral movement and then realized the rim wasn't round at all, it drops a lot where the new spoke is. How come this spoke is so short, I don't understand?

spuik said:
Well I managed to get the spoke in place with the right tool but because it's shorter than the other spokes it's impossible to get it true. I got it pretty close to no lateral movement and then realized the rim wasn't round at all, it drops a lot where the new spoke is. How come this spoke is so short, I don't understand?
Okay ... loosen all the spokes, again. YOU DID LOOSEN ALL THE SPOKES, FIRST, RIGHT?

Take the new spoke out + one of the others on the non-driveside.

Are they the same length OR are they really a different length?

If they are a different length, then you've got a problem with your LBS ...

If they are the same length, then you have to truly loosen the spokes & re-tension them ... as if you were building the wheel from scratch.

Here's where it will be a great benefit for you if you have laced a few "regular" wheels before ...

If you haven't, then buy a hub + rim to lace up a wheel for your training rides -- buy a set of hubs & pair of rims if you want a matched pair.

OR, if you still have an old pair of wheels, completely unlace them and then re-lace them ... re-tension them, re-true them ... do that until you can get it right ... and then, work on your SSC SL wheel, again.

Yes I loosened all the spokes, it was the only way I could get the new spoke in place. And yes it actually is 5mm shorter than the others.

I didn't buy the spoke at my LBS because they don't sell it, in fact there are no shops that sell these spokes in the whole country. So I had to order online, and even then the only place I could find that sells these spokes was totalcycling.com. I ordered a rear non-drive side spoke, which I believe is what I got because it's way too long to be anything else. So I guess my Ksyriums are too old and the newer models have shorter spokes or something.

spuik said:
Yes I loosened all the spokes, it was the only way I could get the new spoke in place. And yes it actually is 5mm shorter than the others.

I didn't buy the spoke at my LBS because they don't sell it, in fact there are no shops that sell these spokes in the whole country. So I had to order online, and even then the only place I could find that sells these spokes was totalcycling.com. I ordered a rear non-drive side spoke, which I believe is what I got because it's way too long to be anything else. So I guess my Ksyriums are too old and the newer models have shorter spokes or something.
Well, you cannot stretch an aluminum spoke!

So, contact/(e-mail) TOTAL CYCLING & explain that the spoke they sent is apparently too short ... and, ask them how they chose the spoke which they shipped to you -- ask THEM if the ERD changed on the Ksyrium SSC SL rims from one year to another (let THEM do the research) ...

And, also ask if they can they send the correct length spoke.

spuik said:

I have replaced many Krysirium spokes and I have never had an issue getting the new spoke in place, into the hub, starting the threaded part in the rim. I still think you have the wrong spoke. With all the MTB spokes, and road spokes and colors, I still think you have the wrong spoke.

spuik said:

Which country? Not the US, as many LBS' sell spokes for these, including us at Vecchio's.

Peter@vecchios said:
Which country? Not the US, as many LBS' sell spokes for these, including us at Vecchio's.
Based on how quickly he's getting stuff from Total Cycling, I would guess spuik is in Ireland.

alfeng said:
Based on how quickly he's getting stuff from Total Cycling, I would guess spuik is in Ireland.
I'm in Finland. Inside the EU deliveries are usually pretty quick.

I sent an email to Total Cycling, let's hope they have a solution. The spoke I have is definitely not the right one, and I don't know what it is for really. Do they have the same kind of spokes for wheels like Crossmax maybe? Because this one looks exactly like a Ksyrium spoke but it won't go anywhere on my Ksyriums.

Total Cycling has now told me that it's likely that the Ksyrium wheels have changed since mine were made and the spokes are shorter nowadays. I guess I'm out of luck.

On the bright side, these last days have got me excited about cross country again. I can't afford to pimp my mountain bike though and it's not in very good shape.

spuik said:
Total Cycling has now told me that it's likely that the Ksyrium wheels have changed since mine were made and the spokes are shorter nowadays. I guess I'm out of luck.

On the bright side, these last days have got me excited about cross country again. I can't afford to pimp my mountain bike though and it's not in very good shape.
I don't recall what the heads of the Ksyrium spokes looks like, so I don't if the following is viable ...

But, if a regular J-bend spoke head can be seated properly/securely in the MAVIC hub, then I would consider changing out all the non-driveside spokes with some straight gauge 2.0mm spokes ...

OR, pull one of the Zircal spokes & see which diameter spoke has the same "flex" when you secure it AND a regular spoke to a table top AND THEN put a light weight on the end of both spokes.

OR, just put ONE stainless steel spoke of the proper length in place (presuming the hub will hold the spoke's head) of the absent spoke and not worry about the lateral loads -- a single, stiffer spoke is probably better than one that is less stiff.

OR, if one of the other MAVIC spokes is available in the correct length (1mm-maybe-2mm shorter is "okay"), then you can probably substitute it if the cosmetics of having a 'round' spoke doesn't matter to you.

alfeng said:
I don't recall what the heads of the Ksyrium spokes looks like, so I don't if the following is viable ...

But, if a regular J-bend spoke head can be seated properly/securely in the MAVIC hub, then I would consider changing out all the non-driveside spokes with some straight gauge 2.0mm spokes ...

OR, pull one of the Zircal spokes & see which diameter spoke has the same "flex" when you secure it AND a regular spoke to a table top AND THEN put a light weight on the end of both spokes.

OR, just put ONE stainless steel spoke of the proper length in place (presuming the hub will hold the spoke's head) of the absent spoke and not worry about the lateral loads -- a single, stiffer spoke is probably better than one that is less stiff.

OR, if one of the other MAVIC spokes is available in the correct length (1mm-maybe-2mm shorter is "okay"), then you can probably substitute it if the cosmetics of having a 'round' spoke doesn't matter to you.
I'm not familiar with all the English vocabulary so I'm not even totally sure what you're saying but I don't think any other kind of spoke can be installed on the Ksyriums. The spokes are pretty unique at both ends.

spuik said:
I'm not familiar with all the English vocabulary so I'm not even totally sure what you're saying but I don't think any other kind of spoke can be installed on the Ksyriums. The spokes are pretty unique at both ends.
The nipples are unique, but I think the threading is a standard 2.0mm (14g).

The Ksyrium spoke "head" (at the hub end) MAY be the same as the spokes on the other MAVIC wheels BECAUSE the hub shells look very similar (from a distance) to me ... but, I haven't looked at any MAVIC wheels in a long time.

So, the next time you go to you LBS, look at some other MAVIC wheels to see if the hub end of the spoke looks the same ... bring one of your spokes to see if it will fit in the OTHER hub ... if so, then you should be able to substitute one of MAVIC's 'round' spokes for your wheel's 'flat' spokes if you can find one that is the correct length ...

It will be an imperfect solution, but it will allow you to use your wheel.