Ksyrium SSL, Campy Neutron or Dura Ace?

Gutsy

Oct 16, 2003
Building up a new bike and would like views on the above - all a similar kind of price... I am 150lbs, don't race but do long fast(ish) weekend rides (centuries etc). Like climbing...

Any recommendations?

Originally posted by Gutsy
Building up a new bike and would like views on the above - all a similar kind of price... I am 150lbs, don't race but do long fast(ish) weekend rides (centuries etc). Like climbing...
Any recommendations?

I presume you are using a Shimano groupset and are looking for a clincher wheel...(?)

The Ksyriums are the most expensive of the three (~$850), and quite frankly, I don't see the advantages other than being a lighter weight than other typical short section Mavics. Nevertheless, they are widely used and are durable for someone in your weight range.

The Dura Ace wheels costs slightly less (~$800), are more of an aero wheel than the Mavics, and weigh a little more. Some people complain of flex (due to its very low spoke count - 16h F&R), but you're not a heavier rider.

The Neutrons are the least pricey (~$650), are in the same weight range as the other two, and are a very well engineered, albeit less aero set.

All things considered, I'd opt for a Campy Eurus set above any of these. It's only about ~$40 more than the Shimano/Clincher Neutrons (cheaper than the Mavs and D.A.), is more aero than the Neutrons, weighs less, and is probably the best general purpose clincher set money can buy under $1k.