Ksyrium Wheel Question

Jim Quinn

Guest
I ruined a rim on my Ksyrium wheel and ordered another one which my bicycle shop is putting on for
me. They have had it two weeks now and say that they are waiting on a tool. They tried to use the
plastic wheel tool that came with the wheel but they said they broke three of them trying to build
the wheel.

What is the tool they are waiting on? Is it the same thing as the plastic one except made in metal.
And can you order one via the internet. I am really tired of waiting to get my wheel back.

> I ruined a rim on my Ksyrium wheel and ordered another one which my
bicycle
> shop is putting on for me. They have had it two weeks now and say that
they
> are waiting on a tool. They tried to use the plastic wheel tool that came with the wheel but they
> said they broke three of them trying to build the wheel.
>
> What is the tool they are waiting on? Is it the same thing as the plastic one except made in
> metal. And can you order one via the internet. I am really tired of waiting to get my wheel back.

Yep, you guessed correctly. The plastic spoke wrench is OK for occasional use, but for building a
wheel, you need a metal one. If Mavic has them in stock, it's going to take between 5 and 14 days or
so for the shop to get one, depending upon location (it doesn't take more than 8 days, including
weekends, for UPS to ship across the country, but Mavic's not the fastest in getting orders out the
door). If you think the shop is dragging their heels, you might give a call to Mavic and see if
they've got them in stock and mention that your shop's been having difficulty getting one. That
might light a fire under the appropriate person, whether it be at Mavic or the shop.

jquin-<< I ruined a rim on my Ksyrium wheel and ordered another one which my bicycle shop is putting
on for me. They have had it two weeks now and say that they are waiting on a tool.

<< What is the tool they are waiting on? Is it the same thing as the plastic one except
made in metal.

That's it, the plastic truing tool supplied is worthless...

<< And can you order one via the internet. I am really tired of waiting to get my wheel back.

Nope but the LBS can get ya one...Not sure why it is taking so long unless mavic USA is out of them,
perhaps from demand...

Ridiculous. Get american classics. Standard components, and lighter.

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com "Jim
Quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I ruined a rim on my Ksyrium wheel and ordered another one which my
bicycle
> shop is putting on for me. They have had it two weeks now and say that
they
> are waiting on a tool. They tried to use the plastic wheel tool that came with the wheel but they
> said they broke three of them trying to build the wheel.
>
> What is the tool they are waiting on? Is it the same thing as the plastic one except made in
> metal. And can you order one via the internet. I am really tired of waiting to get my wheel back.

Andre-<< Ridiculous.

Get american classics. Standard components, and lighter.

Preposterous!!

get a handbuilt, cheaper, lighter, better made...

Look, I already have the rim, the spokes and the Hub. Unles your american classics are free then
they are going to be a lot more expensive than building the wheel.

So the question is; are the american classics free?

"Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
> Ridiculous. Get american classics. Standard components, and lighter.
>
> --
> --------------------------
> Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com "Jim
> Quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I ruined a rim on my Ksyrium wheel and ordered another one which my
> bicycle
> > shop is putting on for me. They have had it two weeks now and say that
> they
> > are waiting on a tool. They tried to use the plastic wheel tool that
came
> > with the wheel but they said they broke three of them trying to build
the
> > wheel.
> >
> > What is the tool they are waiting on? Is it the same thing as the
plastic
> > one except made in metal. And can you order one via the internet. I am really tired of waiting
> > to get my wheel back.

Peter:

I can see the cheaper and better built arguments. But lighter? Can you give an example of a couple
of scenarios of wheels you build that are cheaper and lighter than American Classics? Those ACs are
really featherwieght. They claim 1362 grams for the 350's, and 1420 grams for the 420's. Better
built by you is, of course, incontrovertable!

Some personal interest in this, as I'll probably be buying new wheels (campy compatable, of
course!)within a year. Your message implies "cheaper. lighter. better made...chose all three!".

Thanks, TG

> Get american classics. Standard components, and lighter.
>

> Preposterous!!
>
> get a handbuilt, cheaper, lighter, better made...

Jim,

You simply don't ride enough miles a year not to be confused. Instead of soldering and tying the
spokes, consider a good TIG weld. It is much lighter and holds paint better. Are Ksyrium spokes
aluminum? See you tonight on the ride...

Bruce

"Jim Quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Look, I already have the rim, the spokes and the Hub. Unles your american classics are free then
> they are going to be a lot more expensive than building the wheel.
>
> So the question is; are the american classics free?
>

> "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]...
> > Ridiculous. Get american classics. Standard components, and lighter.
> >
> > --
> > --------------------------
> > Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com "Jim
> > Quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I ruined a rim on my Ksyrium wheel and ordered another one which my
> > bicycle
> > > shop is putting on for me. They have had it two weeks now and say
that
> > they
> > > are waiting on a tool. They tried to use the plastic wheel tool that
> came
> > > with the wheel but they said they broke three of them trying to build
> the
> > > wheel.
> > >
> > > What is the tool they are waiting on? Is it the same thing as the
> plastic
> > > one except made in metal. And can you order one via the internet. I
am
> > > really tired of waiting to get my wheel back.

"Jim Quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Look, I already have the rim, the spokes and the Hub. Unles your american classics are free then
> they are going to be a lot more expensive than building the wheel.
>
> So the question is; are the american classics free?
>

> "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]...

I understand and sympathize with your frustration that the bozos at Mavac can't get their act
together so your wheel can be repaired in reasonable time. It seems as if there is not much anyone
here can do to expedite that. One thing you might consider is to buy the steel tool for yourself now
so you will be sure have one for next time. Perhaps Peter or Mike could help you there if your LBS
is, for some reason, reluctant. Also, if you don't already have them, a back-up set of wheels that
are well made for you with more conventional design and parts then used in the Ksyrium set, would
keep you on the road and not slow you much if at all. These wheels will be very relaible and easily
repaired if busted. Also, if you train on them from time to time, you would extend the life of the
Ksyrium wheels so the back-up wheels could pay for themselves in that manner. There are many options
and if you are interested, you can find help here on how to make them yourself or where or what to
buy. Good luck Steve

Thanks for the comments, I have 9 sets of wheels so I already have a couple of good sets of
conventional wheels. It is just a little frustrating having one down and not being able to fix it
sooner. I have not had any complaints about the Ksyriums and the only reason this one needed to get
the rim replaced is that I had an idiot fall on it in a crit. I told the guy several times during
the race that he needed to be more careful and what does he do but cause this massive crash in the
last 300 meters of the race. I didn't go down but I ended up riding on the rim for the last 200
meters to the finish line. That was not what caused it to be ruined though, it was the initial blow
when he crashed into it that bent the rim.

news:[email protected]...