Kudos to an old Peugeot?

davidd86

Nov 29, 2004
I have never been one to pay too too much attention to the handling of my race bikes over the years -- they all seemed to handle pretty sharply -- but I had an opportunity to borrow for a long easy ride an old (?70s or 80s?) Peugeot road bike, not sure what model, and I thought the ride was amazingly sweet. Is there some basic difference in geometry or something? I am wondering what the difference was -- never felt like there was all that much difference between my race bikes but the french bike had a very different feel. I'm not perceptive enough to say what exactly it was, but I sure did like riding it. It was a bit heavier than a modern race bike, but other than that it seems like something may have been lost in the translation to my more modern machine. Not particularly interested in the retro aspect of it, I just wonder why the ride felt so distinctly different.

I believe these are what they call touring bikes. A heftier road bike for more comfort and support. Probably all steel - good for absorbing the road.

When I was stationed in Heidelberg in the early 80's the first thing I sought out was a LBS to purchase a Peugeot touring bike with saddle bags. Have pedals, will travel. Most importantly, I had to insure that the bags would hold at least a case of beer! :D I went all over Germany with that bike. Those were the days.

I'm currently restoring an old Peugeot Optima from 88'-89'. Despite her age, she's easily the liveliest bike I've ever rode. And I'm comparing that with some of todays allu and carbon rides. Nothing can touch it.

....just waiting for a certain individual to come along and tell me I'm wrong.....you know who you are....!

Bill.

I had a 1970s Motobecane Le Champion I bought used in the early 80s (I was a teenager then) and that bike was one of the nicest bikes I've ridden. I put thousands of miles on it riding around upstate NY. It had the top of the line Campy components and sew-ups (it was a racing bike, 10 speed, and was raced a bit prior to my purchasing it). The bike weighed about 21lbs. It was every bit as pleasant to look at as it was to ride. Unfortunately, it was stolen out of my garage about a year after I moved to CA in the early 90s.

Of course, it's been 15 years since I rode that bike so a little nostalgia might be tainting my memory. ;)

I've only ridden one carbon bike and it was just for a short ride around the parking lot of my LBS but compared to any aluminum bike I've ridden my old Motobecane was a much better ride.

Maybe it's just me, but carbon/alu bikes, while nippy, just feel like machines. My Peugeot on the other hand, feels alive with a soul of its own. I know a few other people feel the same about their steel rides. I think it's because steel has a certain amount of 'spring'. It's definately not nostalgia.:)

Bill.

shannons dad said:
Maybe it's just me, but carbon/alu bikes, while nippy, just feel like machines. My Peugeot on the other hand, feels alive with a soul of its own. I know a few other people feel the same about their steel rides. I think it's because steel has a certain amount of 'spring'. It's definately not nostalgia.:)
True. That's why I got another steel frame when I decided to take up (semi) serious riding again.

I retired my Peugeot almost 10 years ago. I remember it being a rocket at the time. It did have a different feel than the bikes of today, or other bikes of its time. I remember feeling like it was a part of me when I rode. I have been away from the sport for 10 years now and just came back on a New Trek 2100. I have to say that you can't compare the two. The new bike is quicker, lighter, more responsive, and it's a rush to ride it. I guess the Peugeot would be more of a cruizer by todays standard, but I have many great memories of it.:cool: