Kudos to Giant

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John Harlow, Apr 5, 2003.

  1. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    Recently I broke the rear axle on my '01 Giant NRS1. The LBS from which I'd bought the bike dropped
    the Giant line and was picked up by a different dealership. I took it there and they said they'd
    "see what they could do". They called Giant and they sent a whole new hub (a Shimano XT) to replace
    the original one (Formula) because "they had some problems with the Formulas". This highly upgraded
    hub was sent free of charge; the LBS only charged to re-spoke the wheel ($20). Mind you this bike is
    WAY out of warranty (to the tune of over 2 years) and they really were under no obligation to do
    this IMHO - but they did nonetheless.

    Tags:

  2. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Recently I broke the rear axle on my '01 Giant NRS1. The LBS from which
    I'd
    | bought the bike dropped the Giant line and was picked up by a different dealership. I took it
    | there and they said they'd "see what they could
    do".
    | They called Giant and they sent a whole new hub (a Shimano XT) to replace the original one
    | (Formula) because "they had some problems with the Formulas". This highly upgraded hub was sent
    | free of charge; the LBS only charged to re-spoke the wheel ($20). Mind you this bike is WAY out of
    | warranty (to the tune of over 2 years) and they really were under no obligation to do this IMHO -
    | but they did nonetheless.

    Thats one damn fine LBS you got there.

    Simon

  3. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Recently I broke the rear axle on my '01 Giant NRS1. The LBS from which
    I'd
    > bought the bike dropped the Giant line and was picked up by a different dealership. I took it
    > there and they said they'd "see what they could
    do".
    > They called Giant and they sent a whole new hub (a Shimano XT) to replace the original one
    > (Formula) because "they had some problems with the Formulas". This highly upgraded hub was sent
    > free of charge; the LBS only charged to re-spoke the wheel ($20). Mind you this bike is WAY out of
    > warranty (to the tune of over 2 years) and they really were under no obligation to do this IMHO -
    > but they did nonetheless.

    Thats a good story. I have always liked Giant. I have an '01 ATX 850, and an '02 AC DS 2. My LBS
    will bend over backwards to please me. Minor repairs (cassette replacement and such) they don't even
    charge for...Mike

  4. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > | Recently I broke the rear axle on my '01 Giant NRS1. The LBS from which
    > I'd
    > | bought the bike dropped the Giant line and was picked up by a different dealership. I took it
    > | there and they said they'd "see what they could
    > do".
    > | They called Giant and they sent a whole new hub (a Shimano XT) to
    replace
    > | the original one (Formula) because "they had some problems with the Formulas". This highly
    > | upgraded hub was sent free of charge; the LBS
    only
    > | charged to re-spoke the wheel ($20). Mind you this bike is WAY out of warranty (to the tune of
    > | over 2 years) and they really were under no obligation to do this IMHO - but they did
    > | nonetheless.
    > |

    > Thats one damn fine LBS you got there.

    True that - kudos to Rowlett's in Richmond as well.

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Recently I broke the rear axle on my '01 Giant NRS1. The LBS from which
    I'd
    > bought the bike dropped the Giant line and was picked up by a different dealership. I took it
    > there and they said they'd "see what they could
    do".
    > They called Giant and they sent a whole new hub (a Shimano XT) to replace the original one
    > (Formula) because "they had some problems with the Formulas". This highly upgraded hub was sent
    > free of charge; the LBS only charged to re-spoke the wheel ($20). Mind you this bike is WAY out of
    > warranty (to the tune of over 2 years) and they really were under no obligation to do this IMHO -
    > but they did nonetheless.

    I'm having a MORE group ride tomorrow at Pocahontas SP at 1pm if you want to test out the new wheel.

    Mike

  6. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Recently I broke the rear axle on my '01 Giant NRS1. The LBS from which
    I'd
    > bought the bike dropped the Giant line and was picked up by a different dealership. I took it
    > there and they said they'd "see what they could
    do".
    > They called Giant and they sent a whole new hub (a Shimano XT) to replace the original one
    > (Formula) because "they had some problems with the Formulas". This highly upgraded hub was sent
    > free of charge; the LBS only charged to re-spoke the wheel ($20). Mind you this bike is WAY out of
    > warranty (to the tune of over 2 years) and they really were under no obligation to do this IMHO -
    > but they did nonetheless.

    My rear disk fell off the bike a few rides into it. I was not really sure it would be a
    covered issue.

    My LBS clled Giant. They were instructed to give me a brand new wheel, tire, disc.... They pulled
    one off new bike and off I went.

    I actually talked to my Giant rep. He wore a suit, and took bikes and parts VERY seriously. He was
    excited and animated.. about everything that had to do with his job and riding.

    darsh

  7. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > I'm having a MORE group ride tomorrow at Pocahontas SP at 1pm if you want
    > test out the new wheel.

    The GF and I had actually planned on going there, but probably later in the afternoon. Gonna
    practice some grass strip landings in the AM; should be done around noon or 1:00. Since Chesterfield
    airport is just down the road, I'll take the bike with me. Do you have a cell phone?

    If not, we're just going to ride all 3 trails; hopefully I'll see you out there.