Kuos to ToPeak

nopcbs

Guest
A couple of years ago I bought a ToPeak Joe Blow Sprint floor pump from
Nashbar. It's a beautifully made aluminum pump with a Twin-head for use with
both kinds of tire valves. All kinds of intelligent features from a large
hardened steel base to a comfortable handle to secure hose storage to an
easy to see gauge.

Late last year I started having trouble getting a good seal when filling
tires. This year it became really bad. So I contacted ToPeak, explained the
situation, and asked for assistance. The problem turned out to be that a
plastic actuator in the Twinhead had been deformed by the metal cam that
pushes against it so the actuator could not push the tire valve pin and
allow air to enter the tire.

ToPeak sent me a new, easy-to-install Twin-Head and all is well again.

Clearly a first class company that stands behind their products.

I would suggest, however, that they consider adding a metal facing to the
plastic actuator that that metal cam operates on.

- nopcbs

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:12:10 -0400, nopcbs wrote:

> A couple of years ago I bought a ToPeak Joe Blow Sprint floor pump from
> Nashbar. It's a beautifully made aluminum pump with a Twin-head for use with
> both kinds of tire valves. All kinds of intelligent features from a large
> hardened steel base to a comfortable handle to secure hose storage to an
> easy to see gauge.
>
> Late last year I started having trouble getting a good seal when filling
> tires. This year it became really bad. So I contacted ToPeak, explained the
> situation, and asked for assistance. The problem turned out to be that a
> plastic actuator in the Twinhead had been deformed by the metal cam that
> pushes against it so the actuator could not push the tire valve pin and
> allow air to enter the tire.
>
> ToPeak sent me a new, easy-to-install Twin-Head and all is well again.
>
> Clearly a first class company that stands behind their products.
>
> I would suggest, however, that they consider adding a metal facing to the
> plastic actuator that that metal cam operates on.
>
> - nopcbs

H'm. I had a similar issue, and after I contacted ToPeak about it, they
sent me a new (better!) pump head: the SmartHead. I cut the old
Twin-Head off my Joe Blow Sport and hoseclamped the new head, and my floor
pump is the envy of many of my friends.

They're a class act, for sure. I have Topeak "Alien" multi-tool, and
it's been great.

-L

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

I own Topeak's OS Rack and Lock, which is a rear rack that carries a U-lock.
The lock is held in place with a cam lock, which I broke one day being too
forceful. When I called Topeak to ask about buying a replacement part, they
went to the warehouse, pulled one off of a lock in stock, and mailed it to
me free of charge---plus sent me a catalog and some stickers. Nice company.

On Jul 24, 10:12 pm, "nopcbs" <[email protected]> wrote:
> A couple of years ago I bought a ToPeakJoeBlowSprintfloor pump from
> Nashbar. It's a beautifully made aluminum pump with a Twin-head for use with
> both kinds of tire valves. All kinds of intelligent features from a large
> hardened steel base to a comfortable handle to secure hose storage to an
> easy to see gauge.
>
> Late last year I started having trouble getting a good seal when filling
> tires. This year it became really bad. So I contacted ToPeak, explained the
> situation, and asked for assistance. The problem turned out to be that a
> plastic actuator in the Twinhead had been deformed by the metal cam that
> pushes against it so the actuator could not push the tire valve pin and
> allow air to enter the tire.
>
> ToPeak sent me a new, easy-to-install Twin-Head and all is well again.
>
> Clearly a first class company that stands behind their products.
>
> I would suggest, however, that they consider adding a metal facing to the
> plastic actuator that that metal cam operates on.
>
> - nopcbs

Problem turns out not to be solved. Pump still does not work. Real
problem seems to be that the check valve in the pump body is stuck in
open position. Result is that when you pump, the pump handle is
constantly under pressure and whatever air you put in a tire, comes
right back out on the handle up-stroke. Bummer.

- nopcbs