Kuota Kharma - Down Tube Bottle Cage frame holes loose

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tomblack10, Jun 15, 2011.

1. tomblack10

tomblack10 New Member

Hi
    I have a 2011 Kuota Kharma bike. It is new this year and very nice indeed, but I have had a few problems. One of which was the seatpost slipping but after a few changes I seem to have cracked the problem.

Now the down tube bottle cage is completley loose. At first I just tightened the bolts up but further inspection the part within the frame has become loose. Looks like it will get worse.
    Anyone got a solution ? Is this a known problem ?

Tags:

2. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Are the bottle mount threads stripped? If so, I have repaired threads on non-structural bits using JB weld or similar epoxy. Goop the epoxy into the hole, take your bolt and coat it with petroleum jelly and gently thread it into the hole - do not tighten. Let the epoxy fully cure, then tighten the bolt.

3. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

If the whole bit is loose, it's usually a simple job for a frame repair guy, coz they just remove the damaged one and rivet in a new one. I had two done recently on an alu frame which cost me 40 bucks

4. DVNDSN

DVNDSN New Member

I work at a gym, and generally if a bolt is loose on a piece of equipment, its because it's stripped, or it need a washer kit. Maybe put a washer in between the bolt and the cage. However, you would think the bolts that came with the bike would fit it but who knows...

5. tomblack10

tomblack10 New Member

thanks for all the replies . the threads inside the frame where you tigthen the bolt into have become loose so the carbon is breaking around the frame, is this a simple job for someone to do @ a bikeshop ? or is the frame finished ?

6. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

No, it's very unlikely that a shop could do it.
    Take it to a frame builder. Don't take it to shop, coz they'll most likely just sent it to a frame builder and add their cut