Kuota Kharma - Down Tube Bottle Cage frame holes loose

tomblack10

Feb 19, 2006
Hi
I have a 2011 Kuota Kharma bike. It is new this year and very nice indeed, but I have had a few problems. One of which was the seatpost slipping but after a few changes I seem to have cracked the problem.

Now the down tube bottle cage is completley loose. At first I just tightened the bolts up but further inspection the part within the frame has become loose. Looks like it will get worse.
Anyone got a solution ? Is this a known problem ?

Are the bottle mount threads stripped? If so, I have repaired threads on non-structural bits using JB weld or similar epoxy. Goop the epoxy into the hole, take your bolt and coat it with petroleum jelly and gently thread it into the hole - do not tighten. Let the epoxy fully cure, then tighten the bolt.

If the whole bit is loose, it's usually a simple job for a frame repair guy, coz they just remove the damaged one and rivet in a new one. I had two done recently on an alu frame which cost me 40 bucks

I work at a gym, and generally if a bolt is loose on a piece of equipment, its because it's stripped, or it need a washer kit. Maybe put a washer in between the bolt and the cage. However, you would think the bolts that came with the bike would fit it but who knows...

thanks for all the replies . the threads inside the frame where you tigthen the bolt into have become loose so the carbon is breaking around the frame, is this a simple job for someone to do @ a bikeshop ? or is the frame finished ?

No, it's very unlikely that a shop could do it.
Take it to a frame builder. Don't take it to shop, coz they'll most likely just sent it to a frame builder and add their cut