Kurt kinetic smart

AgentDBCooper

Nov 4, 2018
Hey guys!

New to the forum. New to biking. Super new to indoor trainers.

Recently purchased a used Road Machine Smart. I also have a Garmin Fenix 5x and HRM-Tri. The two don't play together, or at least I can't get them to.

The Kinetic Fit Android app has the options to add sensors. Only bluetooth sensors? I'm not expecting the inRide to connect with anything, but just my Garmin HRM to the Fit Android app. Is that possible?

Currently, I have 2 things running, producing 2 .FIT files, for one activity. Super annoying.

I've tried merging them with online tools, but I need them stacked, not have one attached to the end of the other.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Disable automatic file uploading if possible on the KK phone app or maybe turn BT to 'OFF' on your Garmin.

Also, do not sync your Garmin, Inride and STRAVA accounts to eliminate double file uploads of the same workout. I had that issue until I disabled account sync options.

Best advice? Ditch the 'Smart' trainer and spend $950 on the New 'R1' model from KK. Yeah, a whole lot of hurt on the wallet, but it has all the common communication protocols and is ANT+ FE-C resistance controllable. Clever Training has a 10% discount code that reduces the $1050 MSRP.

The 'Smart' and 'Smart Control' models have been very problematic for many users. Sent you a PM with additional info.

KK is only selling one 'Smart' trainer model now and that is also on its way out. Same with 'Smart Control'. They will phase the older units out and have gone with the updated 'Smart 2' head unit on the Road Machine and Rock & Roll trainers.

You can upgrade just your head unit to 'Smart 2' and resistance controllable 'Control' heads for around $50-$450 and gain better communication, but if you can possible swing it the new 'R1' trainer that will debut this month is the way to go.

Last edited:
...and if you haven't already done so, go Zwift's free trial once you get the trainer sorted. You'll be hooked on indoor training.

You'll need a speed and cadence sensor. I'm using a Garmin 520 with Garmin ANT+ speed, cadence and heart rate. Running Zwift on a laptop ported via HDMI cable to a big screen TV. Running the Zwift Companion App on an iPhone.

If running ANT+ sensors it is recommended you buy an ANT+ dongle ($10-$15 on Amazon) and a 10' USB cable and locate that dongle somewhere close to your sensors for reliable wireless signal reception. I Zip-Tied mine to the right side KK trainer housing for the threaded QR clamp.

See this video for a quick and dirty setup primer:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0IDDmSStw

@CAMPYBOB

Thanks for the reply!

I probably did a terrible job explaining my issue.

Basically, I have a Garmin watch and HRM, both work using ANT+. Now, I have a Kinetic Road Machine, which uses Bluetooth, no ANT+. So, now, for every workout, I have 2 .FIT files for the same workout. So I've been doing research on merging the two .FIT files to create one, upload to Garmin Connect and be done with it. But I'm having a bit of a hard time with the merge.

I pretty much had to break bank to get this Kinetic Road Machine. I'm committed to this. It's been working really well actually. I'm loving the burn. Totally different experience compared to the road. The Kinetic inRide sensor, I believe has a speed and cadence sensor. It's got lots of great info with it.

Zwift looks fun. Lots of people are telling me about it. Not sure it is something I can afford.. will look into it though.. so far, just been watching shows off my phone mounted to my bike. So far so good! But I'm only 4 days into it.

No Zwift Android????? I do see a Beta version though..

TSK TSK TSK!!

Total write off! I have no Apple products.

Do results from Zwift count towards Garmin Connect daily info?

Yes.

STRAVA will categorize it as a specific Zwift indoor workout. There are Zwift-specific and verified segments and Zwift segments that coincide with actual road segments. No KOM's are given for earning a road segment while on Zwift.

STRAVA will track you indoor stats.

You can set Zwift to upload directly to STRAVA, bypassing your watch/bike computer head unit.

No Zwift Android????? I do see a Beta version though..

Yeah, Android has been 'in development' for the year I've been on Zwift. Lots of *****ing about how long it's taking and there's no excuse for it, frankly.

The reason given is that Android is somewhat of an open platform and getting Zwift to work on all devices that run a myriad of Android versions is pretty involved.

That said, there are folks currently using the beta version successfully. I'm on an iPotato so I have no experience with the droid side of things. Good luck with it!

I did get a decent laptop to run the game as phone and tablet screens are so small. Be sure and read Zwift's graphic card requirements. You can use a PC or laptop with integrated on-board graphic chip, but it does have to be a fairly decent chipset to run the game. Processor requirements are not that great...Hell, a phone can run it...but, graphic requirements are up there a bit.

In a nutshell, the game was developed for 'round the world' use by riders that may only have a smart phone. Andwhile Zwift did target the iOS operating system for simplicity that ells you the processing speeds and memory requirements are all that great.

I pretty much had to break bank to get this Kinetic Road Machine. I'm committed to this. It's been working really well actually. I'm loving the burn. Totally different experience compared to the road. The Kinetic inRide sensor, I believe has a speed and cadence sensor. It's got lots of great info with it.

Zwift looks fun. Lots of people are telling me about it. Not sure it is something I can afford.. will look into it though.. so far, just been watching shows off my phone mounted to my bike. So far so good! But I'm only 4 days into it.

I hear you! Only so much money. The high-end wheel-off / direct drive smart trainers certainly are not inexpensive, but considering the time spent on an indoor trainer the cost/benefit ratio can easily be justified over a couple years of workouts.

Zwift was $10/month all last year. They just increased the price to $15/month. That's still pretty cheap IMO when you see how it eliminated the 'boredom barrier' of indoor training.

If you use the free trial periods from all the various programs (Rouvy, Road Grand Tours, Virtugo, FulGaz, etc.) it can get you through the Winter! LOL!

Also, since you are on a Road Machine based trainer, if your backside starts giving you pain problems, look into researching a 'rocking plate'. You can build one for around $50 and the comfort increase you get from having a bike that moves side-to-side under you is amazing. I can do 4-hour rides in complete comfort on my Rock & Roll trainer...same as yours, but it rocks.

The inRide sensor can be quite accurate at estimating your Watts / power output. If you haven't already done so, read the spin down calibration procedure and follow it exactly. You don't need a trainer-specific rear tire and many riders have achieved better Watt level correlation using a conventional cheap road tire (inRide compared to calibrated strain gage power meters). Do keep your rear tire clean. It helps! Do inflate per calibration procedure instructions. Doing all that will keep your power readings consistent and as close to accurate and real world as possible.

As far as cadence goes, the inRide sensor works well at higher RPM and power output levels. At lower RPM's the reading can be on the inaccurate side. Most riders will add a separate cadence sensor and pair that device to record their pedal RPM's.