Kuurne - Brussel - Kuurne predictions

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Buster, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Buster

    Buster Guest

    If they start today, this is my top 3 :
    1. Boonen
    2. Van Heeswijk
    3. VDB

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:02:21 GMT, Buster wrote:
    > If they start today

    They will, it's set.

  3. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

  4. On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:47:26 +1100, Jeff Jones wrote:
    > I'll go for :
    >
    > 1 Boonen 2 Mad Max 3 PVP

    Wow, did you see Museeuw just now?! Very very easy.

  5. Jr

    Jr Guest

    This guy can never make it happen. Yeah, start trying to chase back with 1km to go. Idiot. A
    large break goes with 4km to go, and he just watches. Cant he ever just sit in for a while, save
    his energy, and try to be there in the end?! I think Postal should get rid of him. Maybe hire
    Chung instead!

    "Buster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:xUh0c.16867$n%[email protected]
    ops.be...
    > If they start today, this is my top 3 :
    > 1. Boonen
    > 2. Van Heeswijk
    > 3. VDB

  6. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:47:26 +1100, Jeff Jones wrote:
    >> I'll go for :
    >>
    >> 1 Boonen 2 Mad Max 3 PVP
    >
    > Wow, did you see Museeuw just now?! Very very easy.

    Dat de wesp in de binnenband steekt.

  7. On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:57:09 -0400, jr wrote:
    > [Hincapie] can never make it happen. Yeah, start trying to chase back with 1km to go. Idiot. A
    > large break goes with 4km to go, and he just watches.

    I realise you probably did not see it on tv but that's not at all what happened. Georgie was the
    only one chasing from about 9 kms to go, with all of QS in his wheel. Hincapie and van Heeswijk were
    the two riders from USPS/BF left in the chase group after Devolder and Joachim ran out of gas. QS
    had Bettini among the leaders.

  8. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    "jr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > This guy can never make it happen. Yeah, start trying to chase back with 1km to go. Idiot. A large
    > break goes with 4km to go, and he just watches. Cant he ever just sit in for a while, save his
    > energy, and try to be there in the end?! I think Postal should get rid of him. Maybe hire Chung
    > instead!

    Dickhead, George was all over the front of the splintered peleton in the last 75ks, working his ass
    off for Max. Max missed the move, and Quickstep, Fassa, and Rabobank were all represented, and
    didn't have

  9. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "jr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > This guy can never make it happen. Yeah, start trying to chase back with 1km to go. Idiot. A
    > > large break
    goes
    > > with 4km to go, and he just watches. Cant he ever just sit in for a
    while,
    > > save his energy, and try to be there in the end?! I think Postal should get rid of him. Maybe
    > > hire Chung instead!
    > >

    > Dickhead, George was all over the front of the splintered peleton in the last 75ks, working his
    > ass off for Max. Max missed the move, and Quickstep, Fassa, and Rabobank were all represented, and
    > didn't have

    I'm not arguing here. I didn't see the race. I'm just curious how you knew George was working for
    Max? I can see the logic in it, but ...

    Bob C.

  10. On 29 Feb 2004 10:57:45 -0800, jim gravity wrote:

    In his defence, for quite some time it looked as though the break wasn't going to stick. I think QS
    was speculating on that too, in spite of having Bettini at the front. Later winner de Jongh was the
    last to bridge from behind three others who gave up, can't remember if van Heeswijk (or any other
    Postie) was among them.

  11. On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:36:16 -0500, psycholist wrote:
    > I'm just curious how you knew George was working for Max? I can see the logic in it, but ...

    I saw it, he working his butt off. He seemed to be in surprisingly good form, despite his recent
    stomach ailment. He made a few jumps earlier, but bringing back the chasers by his own was too
    much really.

    Also, you can read on http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/feb04/kbk04/?id=results : "This time it
    was US Postal-Berry Floor who missed the move, and George Hincapie tried in vain to bring the group
    back up for his teammate Van Heeswijk over the final kilometres."

  12. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    > On 29 Feb 2004 10:57:45 -0800, jim gravity wrote:

    > In his defence, for quite some time it looked as though the break wasn't going to stick. I think
    > QS was speculating on that too, in spite of having Bettini at the front. Later winner de Jongh was
    > the last to bridge from behind three others who gave up, can't remember if van Heeswijk (or any
    > other Postie) was among them.

    Unless your name was Geert Omloop, it was pretty hard to mark every attack. That said, Van Heeswijk
    was hardly in any of the moves - I guess he, George
    H. and QuickStep were betting on a bunch sprint. Bettini did well in the end for Quickstep, but
    hasn't had much racing in the last few weeks - he doesn't often lose those sorts of sprints.
    The other thing that played against USPS was that Devolder and Joachim were off the back by
    that stage.

    Omloop was good to watch, although he attacked about seven times too many
    :) Maybe could have saved it for one big one. Museeuw was impressive too,
    on more of the "watch out for me in April" scale. But, ya gotta hand it to De Jongh.

    Jeff

  13. > This guy can never make it happen.

    I agree he's wasted his time training. Hincape should give Pantani's crack pipe a try and enjoy
    life for a change.

  14. Amit

    Amit Guest

    [email protected] (jim gravity) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "jr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > This guy can never make it happen. Yeah, start trying to chase back with 1km to go. Idiot. A
    > > large break goes with 4km to go, and he just watches. Cant he ever just sit in for a while, save
    > > his energy, and try to be there in the end?! I think Postal should get rid of him. Maybe hire
    > > Chung instead!
    > >
    > Dickhead, George was all over the front of the splintered peleton in the last 75ks, working his
    > ass off for Max. Max missed the move, and Quickstep, Fassa, and Rabobank were all represented, and
    > didn't have

    He's certainly strong enough to be in the select group at the end of a classic, but he's missing
    something to come up with big wins.

    He may "work his ass off", but he's never been a rider who's created the winning selection or been
    able to attack the final group. This sucks for him because unlike PVP or Bettini (or even his
    teamate Max), he probably isn't a good enough sprinter to consistently win from a small group.

    I'd put him in the same category as guys like Wilfred Peeters and Tristan Hoffman, lots of top tens
    and if things go their way they could come up with a big win during their career, but they won't go
    on to have Museeuw/Tchmil type palmares.

    -Amit

  15. Kb

    Kb Guest

    didn't postal have 3 or 4 guys in the main break before it split something like 7km from the finish?
    And not one of them made the split?! That just sucks..

    > > This guy can never make it happen.
    >

    > I agree he's wasted his time training. Hincape should give Pantani's crack pipe a try and
    > enjoy life for a change.

  16. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Amit <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'd put him in the same category as guys like Wilfred Peeters and Tristan Hoffman, lots of top
    > tens and if things go their way they could come up with a big win during their career, but they
    > won't go on to have Museeuw/Tchmil type palmares.

    Yep. Even Max Sciandri came up with the goods on occasion.

    This is why I think its funny when some US-centric fan thinks that George should leave USP for some
    place where he could be the star. He's got it pretty good right where he is. Even if he does take
    crap for his fashion sense.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  17. Karlwithak

    Karlwithak Guest

    I have said it before Hincapie is a good water carrier for LA, and that is about it

    He is like what Rue was for big Mig. incredible talent but not a closer and never should protected
    as a leader for any type of race.

    There are so many riders who if you supported them in a classic could be in the break but would
    have no chance of winning. You would never have a D 1 team support a rider who cant close. Unless
    you are an american team with an american classics super star like Hincapie who has shit for wins
    under his belt.

  18. Amit

    Amit Guest

    "kb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > didn't postal have 3 or 4 guys in the main break before it split something like 7km from the
    > finish? And not one of them made the split?! That just sucks..

    The thing with Het Volk (or this year's KBK which takes it place) is that it's still pretty
    damn early.

    I don't think anyone's ever won Het Volk and Flanders in the same year, not even Merckx.

    So being good at Het Volk doesn't mean a lot for the first two weeks of April.

    Postal's looking not bad. They have a bunch of guys with V's and J's in their names.

  19. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (karlwithak) wrote:

    > I have said it before Hincapie is a good water carrier for LA, and that is about it
    >
    > He is like what Rue was for big Mig. incredible talent but not a closer and never should protected
    > as a leader for any type of race.
    >
    > There are so many riders who if you supported them in a classic could be in the break but would
    > have no chance of winning. You would never have a D 1 team support a rider who cant close. Unless
    > you are an american team with an american classics super star like Hincapie who has shit for wins
    > under his belt.

    I've said it before here, but I think Hincapie is strong enough and even smart enough to be a
    classics winner. What he seems to be lacking is the mental strength it takes to win - he just
    doesn't seem to have a lot of self-confidence. I doubt Postal is going to do anything about that
    (like get him a sports shrink), because it isn't in their interests to do so, as he does a great
    job as a team guy for Lance in the Tour. Priorities, you know?

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "Food plus heat equals cooking"
    Alton Brown

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  20. Bart

    Bart Guest

    if anyone sucked it was QSD. They should have sticked to the Boonen-plan, now a not-yet Bettini was
    in the break with 5 sprinters, that was a big risk. And they were really chasing at the end, Boonen
    said something of missing communication, Bettini was trying to say he wasn't that sure, but it
    didn't come through in time.