Kuurne - Brussel - Kuurne predictions

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Buster, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    [email protected] (Ronaldo Jeremiah) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (jim gravity) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Amit) wrote in message
    > >
    > > > I'd put him in the same category as guys like Wilfred Peeters and Tristan Hoffman, lots of top
    > > > tens and if things go their way they could come up with a big win during their career, but
    > > > they won't go on to have Museeuw/Tchmil type palmares.
    > > >
    > > > -Amit
    > >
    > > Agreed, winning one or two monuments and being on a team that's one at least 6 GT's would have
    > > to be considered a pretty good career.
    >
    > That would be a great career. Except GH hasn't won any monuments.

    Gent-Wevelgem sure is a monument even though it's not a WC-race (but not all WC-races are
    monuments).

  2. [email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Gent-Wevelgem sure is a monument even though it's not a WC-race (but not all WC-races are
    > monuments).

    Dumbass -

    There are five monuments among the one-day races.

    None of them are held on a workday.

    Real races are held on days that start with 'S.'

    -RJ

  3. Gilster

    Gilster Guest

    In Georges defense, he trains to be a movable windblock for Lance which pretty much precludes
    building the necessary explosiveness it takes to make the winning move(s) late in a 1 day race.
    Also, Georges big peak has to happen in July, not April. Many people think he should leave on his
    own merits, but having the best chance of anyone at making an extra lap on the Champs Elysee every
    July would make any poster to this board think twice about going elsewhere.

  4. [email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Ronaldo Jeremiah) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (jim gravity) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > Agreed, winning one or two monuments and being on a team that's one at least 6 GT's would have
    > > > to be considered a pretty good career.
    > >
    > > That would be a great career. Except GH hasn't won any monuments.
    >
    > Gent-Wevelgem sure is a monument even though it's not a WC-race (but not all WC-races are
    > monuments).

    I don't believe that Gent-Wevelgem is known as a "monument" race. It is known as a semi-classic mid
    week race between Flanders and Paris-Roubaix? Yes? No?

    Tom

  5. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

    [email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Ronaldo Jeremiah) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (jim gravity) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > Agreed, winning one or two monuments and being on a team that's one at least 6 GT's would have
    > > > to be considered a pretty good career.
    > >
    > > That would be a great career. Except GH hasn't won any monuments.
    >
    > Gent-Wevelgem sure is a monument even though it's not a WC-race (but not all WC-races are
    > monuments).

    I think what you meant to say is the GW is a classic, not a WC race. All WC races are classics, but
    not all classics are WC races.

  6. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    [email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message

    > Gent-Wevelgem sure is a monument even though it's not a WC-race (but not all WC-races are
    > monuments).

    GW is a orthodox classic, but not a monument. The 5 monuments are:

    Milan San Remo Flanders Roubaix LBL Lombardy

    Add Gent-Wevelgem, Fleche Wallone, and Paris Tours and you have the 8 classics.

  7. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    [email protected] (Tom Arsenault) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Ronaldo Jeremiah) wrote in
    > > message news:<[email protected]
    > > le.com>...
    > > > [email protected] (jim gravity) wrote in message
    > > > news:<[email protected]

    > > > That would be a great career. Except GH hasn't won any
    > > > monuments.
    > >
    > > Gent-Wevelgem sure is a monument even though it's not a
    > > WC-race (but not all WC-races are monuments).
    >
    > I don't believe that Gent-Wevelgem is known as a
    > "monument" race. It is known as a semi-classic mid week
    > race between Flanders and Paris-Roubaix? Yes? No?
    >
    > Tom

    Yeah yeah. "Monument". What's in a name? I agree GW is not
    of the same level as the "monuments" as you define it. But
    it sure is much more than just a "semi-classic", it's
    definitely a real classic.