Kyalami Racetrack South Africa

G

Hiya all,

For all the F1 nuts and the cyclists who train at Kyalami Race Track in Johannesburg and race the 94.7.
There was an article in the Randburg Sun last night saying that the Kyalami race track was to be sold off to developers!
This was denied by the owners (AA Kyalami) but I have since heard that Half of the track is being sold off for "Industrial Development

If this is the case then we can kiss our chances of hosting a Grand Prix goodbye (Did we ever have a chance? - I'm not an F1 supporter ??? )

For cyclists this means hamstering around a 2km track and probably having to pay to do it. Whether the 94.7 cycle challenge will be finished there is another issue.

I don't know what you guys think, but this does not bode well for F1 and cycling in Johannesburg :(

I have seen the reports, seems the media is blowing it out of proportion.

Kyalami WILL NOT be sold to industrial developers but will be remaining intaced. There are however negotiations taking place as to the change of ownership of the track. It seems the AA does not have sufficient funding.

Nothing like a little media hype hey :eek:

Thanks for the clarification Ouzo....

If this is the case then we can kiss our chances of hosting a Grand Prix goodbye (Did we ever have a chance? - I'm not an F1 supporter ??? )

Acid, Kyalami will never see another GP anyway.

Acid, Kyalami will never see another GP anyway.

Why's that, lack of infrastructure? Crime?

I think I just answered my own question.........

Acid
You wrote "For cyclists this means hamstering around a 2km track and probably having to pay to do it. Whether the 94.7 cycle challenge will be finished there is another issue."

In Australia we would describe the difficulty with a 2km track for 94.7 as running a marathon around a Hills Hoist Clothes Line in thongs!