Kyserium SL v REcord hubs build - weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spooky

Hi,

Anyone know the weight difference between Kyserium SL and a pair of wheels built with 32 hole Campag
Record hubs using lightest spokes/rims

Please specify best rim/spoke combination if possible

Thanks

Alan

No difference. Within the accuracy of my kitchen scales (about 10g or so), a home built wheelset
using 32h Record hubs with Velocity Aerohead rims and Sapim CX-Ray spokes weighs the same as a pair
of the Ksyrium SL wheels. And they cost a lot less and are easier to repair if needed.

Nick

"Spooky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Anyone know the weight difference between Kyserium SL and a pair of wheels built with 32 hole
> Campag Record hubs using lightest spokes/rims

the alien-<< Anyone know the weight difference between Kyserium SL and a pair of wheels built with
32 hole Campag Record hubs using lightest spokes/rims.

To match the weight, don't need 'the lightest rims and spokes' for the Record hubs..Velocity
Aeroheads, will show the front to be about 30 grams heavier and the rear wuill be about 30
grams lighter.

Should point out they will be about $300 cheaper as well...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thanks for the replies, guys

I live in the UK and can't find a stockist for Aeroheads

Can I buy from the US?

Thanks

Alan

On 11 Apr 2003 13:39:25 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>the alien-<< Anyone know the weight difference between Kyserium SL and a pair of wheels built with
>32 hole Campag Record hubs using lightest spokes/rims.
>
>To match the weight, don't need 'the lightest rims and spokes' for the Record hubs..Velocity
>Aeroheads, will show the front to be about 30 grams heavier and the rear wuill be about 30
>grams lighter.
>
>Should point out they will be about $300 cheaper as well...
>
>
>Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

I had a light weight wheel set built on Hugi 240 hubs using Mavic Open Pro rims, DT Revolution
spokes, and aluminium DT nipples.

They were beautiful, extremely light and I loved them. Until the problems started...

First: the Revolution spokes and aluminium nipples in the rear wheel wouldn't hold true for more
than a month. Just a little out, but enough to make the brakes drag slightly.

I had the rear wheel rebuilt using DT competition and brass nipples on the drive side. This kept
everything true, but I was always back in the shop because the wheel would become squeaky after
about two or three rides. The hills in Hong Kong are very steep... But, I still loved these wheels.
I could live with the noise.

Then: one morning on the way to a race, 4 spokes pulled out of the front hub as I was braking down a
steep hill. They ripped off the hub material. Luckily I was travelling slowly and the wheel rubbing
on the fork helped slow the bike. Hugi warns against radial spoking, but I just ignored that. It was
a mistake.

I traded the rear hub on a set of Ksyrium SL wheels. Sure everyone has them so you won't feel
special, but they don't squeak, don't go out of true, and seem to be more stable down hill.

Weight is not everything...

Just my two cents.

Phillip

"Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No difference. Within the accuracy of my kitchen scales (about 10g or so),
a
> home built wheelset using 32h Record hubs with Velocity Aerohead rims and Sapim CX-Ray spokes
> weighs the same as a pair of the Ksyrium SL wheels.
And
> they cost a lot less and are easier to repair if needed.
>
> Nick
>
> "Spooky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyone know the weight difference between Kyserium SL and a pair of wheels built with 32 hole
> > Campag Record hubs using lightest spokes/rims

Spooky wrote:

> I live in the UK and can't find a stockist for Aeroheads
>
> Can I buy from the US?

Sure. We'll make an exception in your case. ;-)

--
Jerry Gardner [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.