L A Wheelmen Grand tour, any info

John Michaels

Guest
I am trying to decide if it is worth the drive and effort to do the
Grand Tour. I have found very little info and what I have heard is not
a ringing endorsement. The one ride report from a web site I trust
indicates that when he did the ride, the course was unmarked and support
was a bit thin. Not being from the area and not have ridden these
routes, I am a bit concern about an unmarked course. Does anyone have
any info on the support and logistics of the ride? I want to complete
the Triple Crown and this maybe one of the only ones that fits into my
schedule.

John Michaels <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am trying to decide if it is worth the drive and effort to do the
> Grand Tour. I have found very little info and what I have heard is not
> a ringing endorsement. The one ride report from a web site I trust
> indicates that when he did the ride, the course was unmarked and support
> was a bit thin. Not being from the area and not have ridden these
> routes, I am a bit concern about an unmarked course. Does anyone have
> any info on the support and logistics of the ride? I want to complete
> the Triple Crown and this maybe one of the only ones that fits into my
> schedule.

I have done the Grand Tour every year since 1999. I have done the
highland double and triple. By now, I have the highland course almost
memorized but I can't recall the course being "marked". I can say
that I have never gotten lost on the ride. Also, the route slip is
quite detailed. After all, they have been doing this for 45 years.
Another point is that there are a few thousand riders so there is
usually someone to follow.

Regarding support, the support is very good. There are well stocked
rest stops every 30 miles with toilets, roving sags, a lunch stop in a
large park. I don't know what more you can want.

Without reading the bad review that you mentioned I can't address
specific points. I know that it is a ride that I always enjoy.

Tom