L A Wheelmen Grand tour, any info

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by John Michaels, May 30, 2004.

  1. I am trying to decide if it is worth the drive and effort to do the
    Grand Tour. I have found very little info and what I have heard is not
    a ringing endorsement. The one ride report from a web site I trust
    indicates that when he did the ride, the course was unmarked and support
    was a bit thin. Not being from the area and not have ridden these
    routes, I am a bit concern about an unmarked course. Does anyone have
    any info on the support and logistics of the ride? I want to complete
    the Triple Crown and this maybe one of the only ones that fits into my
    schedule.

    Tags:

  2. John Michaels <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am trying to decide if it is worth the drive and effort to do the
    > Grand Tour. I have found very little info and what I have heard is not
    > a ringing endorsement. The one ride report from a web site I trust
    > indicates that when he did the ride, the course was unmarked and support
    > was a bit thin. Not being from the area and not have ridden these
    > routes, I am a bit concern about an unmarked course. Does anyone have
    > any info on the support and logistics of the ride? I want to complete
    > the Triple Crown and this maybe one of the only ones that fits into my
    > schedule.

    I have done the Grand Tour every year since 1999. I have done the
    highland double and triple. By now, I have the highland course almost
    memorized but I can't recall the course being "marked". I can say
    that I have never gotten lost on the ride. Also, the route slip is
    quite detailed. After all, they have been doing this for 45 years.
    Another point is that there are a few thousand riders so there is
    usually someone to follow.

    Regarding support, the support is very good. There are well stocked
    rest stops every 30 miles with toilets, roving sags, a lunch stop in a
    large park. I don't know what more you can want.

    Without reading the bad review that you mentioned I can't address
    specific points. I know that it is a ride that I always enjoy.

    Tom