L-Glutamine. Your thoughts ?

old&slow

Jun 23, 2003
In recent years I've tried a few different supplements & found pretty well all the claims to be bull. But I've just started taking a protein mix daily (a generic style powder from the supermarket with negligible fat & no carbo or sugar content) and feel this might actually be worthwhile. The mix has 16% glutamic acid as a component. I can definitely feel a benefit in reduced muscle fatigue & better recovery. What I'm not sure about is why - I've done nothing else differently & am not combining the protein mix with anything else. I've attempted to research the benefits but, as always, have found some fairly contrasting studies/claims and I haven't been able to clearly establish the relationship/comparison between the 'Glutamic acid' in this protein mix & pure L-Glutamine supplements. I'm thinking that the protein mix is, apart from the minor fluid gain it apparently generates, a completely safe and good thing but would additional L-Glutamine supplementation have benefits for my weary 50 y/o legs ? I try to do about 250-300km a week including raceday & sometimes lately have struggled with recovery. If I continue with the protein would L-Glutamine supplementation require a different protein mix without the 'Glutamic acid' component ? Any positive or negative experiences out there ? Any alternative suggestions ? Thanks... I'm always very wary of anything you put in your mouth !

"Glutamine is the amino acid in its free-form, which means it's in its whole food state, whenever you eat foods such as almonds and peanuts your ingesting glutamine amino acids. L-Glutamine is basically the same thing. Its glutamine in its free-form (whole food). The majority of supplement companies sell L-glutamine and tout it as the best form, which it is not.
Glutamic Acid is familiar if one turns over their container of protein powder and sees "glutamic acid". Why not glutamine instead of glutamic acid? The reason is that the acid hydrolysis stage of the analysis converts the glutamine into glutamic acid, releasing ammonia. Thus the glutamic acid level actually represents the combined levels of glutamine and glutamic acid. One can figure out the amount of glutamine in the glutamic acid content fairly easy. In animal proteins such as whey, casein, milk, and egg proteins 50% is actually glutamine. In plant proteins such as soy, 80% is glutamine."

So there isn't any big difference between glutaminic acid and L-Glutamin, the only thing is that L-Glutamin in free form taken alone after training has a greater elevation in growth hormone release and can be measured for your needs.

Sometimes I feel like vitamine suppies are a waist of money.

But if you look at studies you find that supplements do have effects.

www.lef.org cites numerous studies.

Just checked out the Enhanced life extension protein power and it has 3.78 grams of Glutamic Acid out of 19,800 mg of Whey Protein Isolate. But don't let them sub another brand on you because the other brand they sell does not taste as good.