L-platers taught to live with cyclists

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Haven't got all the details of this yet, but it sounds like a step in the right direction. Possible remedial classes for the grownups soon? ;)

***

L-platers taught to live with cyclists
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21384269-2682,00.html

Learner drivers will be taught to share the road with cyclists through a new national program developed by the Amy Gillett Foundation. Launched by foundation patron and Formula One driver Mark Webber in Victoria yesterday, Road Right will be promoted by the Australian Driver Trainers Association and state/territory licensing authorities.

It will give driver education via printed material and website links, detailing information and scenarios involving cyclist and motorist interaction. Featured questions relating to cyclists and motorists sharing the roads will also be used randomly during compulsory licence tests. Due to start in May, more information is available about Road Right from the Amy Gillett Foundation website at www.amygillett.org.au

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Haven't got all the details of this yet, but it sounds like a step in
> the right direction. Possible remedial classes for the grownups soon?
> ;)
>
> ***
>
> L-platers taught to live with cyclists
> http://tinyurl.com/23ut9f
>
> Learner drivers will be taught to share the road with cyclists through
> a new national program developed by the Amy Gillett Foundation.
> Launched by foundation patron and Formula One driver Mark Webber in
> Victoria yesterday, Road Right will be promoted by the Australian
> Driver Trainers Association and state/territory licensing authorities.
>
> It will give driver education via printed material and website links,
> detailing information and scenarios involving cyclist and motorist
> interaction. Featured questions relating to cyclists and motorists
> sharing the roads will also be used randomly during compulsory licence
> tests. Due to start in May, more information is available about Road
> Right from the Amy Gillett Foundation website at www.amygillett.org.au
>

> --
> cfsmtb

That people are not already trained to share the road speaks volumes...

me

Plodder said:
That people are not already trained to share the road speaks volumes...

Think this sort of stuff probably started way back, i.e.: "doesn't play well with other children" written on the report card at some point. ;)

cfsmtb said:
Think this sort of stuff probably started way back, i.e.: "doesn't play well with other children" written on the report card at some point. ;)
when i looked at the title i thought that they would be dealing with smelly knicks in the bathroom, bike parts in the loungeroom and hours of bike talk over beer!

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Haven't got all the details of this yet, but it sounds like a step in
> the right direction. Possible remedial classes for the grownups soon?
> ;)
>
> ***
>
> L-platers taught to live with cyclists
> http://tinyurl.com/23ut9f

Good to hear Amy Gillett Foundation is getting this done. Stating the
bleeding obvious but attitudes are still pretty poor amongst many drivers,
although maybe improving overall.

I was at a road safety meeting at the local council and the Traffic Sergeant
was saying how his staff are always being pestered by cyclists wanting the
police to investigate motorists who have cut them off or abused them etc ,
but his staff (not him mind you , oh no he is more enlightened) feel that
maybe if cyclists were paying rego and had to have a no plate etc then they
would get more sympathy. He did assure me police did follow up complaints,
but Im not so sure. I should have asked him to for some annual stats on
complaints and follow up. Apparently there is one "serial" complainer in
the Inner West (now, who could that be?), with 150 complaints in a year.
Admire his/her persistence but wonder if that is maybe going a bit far and
says more about riding skills/style than motorists.

fb in sydknee.