L4 1x60 vs 2x30

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by koger, Mar 2, 2009.

1. koger

koger New Member

Hi

I felt extraordinary fresh today, so I made my 2x30 workout into a 1x60. Now I'm thinking if it was a good idea, not that I think it matters for just one workout, but in general.
    I think that the 5min recovery would have allowed me to finish the last 30 minutes with more power, and in total have made more TSS.
    But on the other side, TSS isn't everyhing and doing one long interval, seems to be a more demanding workout than two shorter intervals.
    What do you think?

Tags:

2. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Personally I like longer SST/L4 efforts when possible. You get more time fully in level and not as much time spent engaging your sustained metabolic processes which take 6-8 minutes at the start of each effort. And yes, TSS isn't everything, especially if it's stretched with filler time.

FWIW, if I pulled off 60 straight minutes in solid L4 during regular training and wasn't trashed afterwards I'd think seriously about bumping up my FTP estimate. A full hour TT is really hard work and something I rarely do during weekly training. I generally need a number pinned on my back to deliver a full hour of sustained L4 work. Anyway, sounds like you're pretty fit, maybe you're ready for an FTP bump?

-Dave

3. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, the age-old question of duration vs. intensity; presuming you can't have both.

For me, it would depend on my racing focus (aka specificity). If I was a long TT (45mins.+) guy, I would opt for the 60min duration "interval". If I was a road race or crit guy (greater variability of power application) I would opt for the 30min. intervals at the higher intensity. My $0.02CAN worth...

4. Piotr

Piotr New Member

I actually prefer the longer non-stop efforts instead of 2 x 20/30. Now that you know you can complete 1 hr SST, try starting a bit slower (high L3), but finishing strong at around your FTP, for an average of ~ 95% FTP. This is my bread and butter threshold workout.

5. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I think you've got the right idea in looking at the relative intensities that you could hold for the two workouts, compared to your training goal for that day. If you did the 2 workouts at the intensity, then I would expect very little difference in the stimulus they provide.

Personally, I prefer the short breaks because I like to towel off, stretch out, etc., but then again I'm usually doing 3x or 4x30 for the day. If I was pressed for time I'd probably eliminate the break rather than cutting the work period short.

6. bubsy

bubsy New Member

BINGO! l follow this method weather l'm doing 30m or 3hr sessions l just don't get into the grove until around the 20m mark, no matter how fresh or how long the warm up l just struggle jumping strait into L4 work, it's the main reason l never set out to do 2X20,s. Before a race l will do a similar version but with a shorter and steeper power curve into VO2 territory to blow the cob webs out both the day before and day of the race.