L4: intensity or duration

AndROOb

Nov 20, 2004
I am interested to know of any proven evidence with regard to whether a greater, or faster adaptation can be achieved by doing L4 intervals at either >100-105%FTP, for example 2x20, or lowering the intensity to =<100%FTP, thereby allowing more work to be done, for example, 3x20 or 2x30, or even 3x25 etc?
Essentially, does more time spent at L4 give better value?

Generally what do you generally prefer to do?

AndROOb said:
I am interested to know of any proven evidence with regard to whether a greater, or faster adaptation can be achieved by doing L4 intervals at either >100-105%FTP, for example 2x20, or lowering the intensity to =<100%FTP, thereby allowing more work to be done, for example, 3x20 or 2x30, or even 3x25 etc?
Essentially, does more time spent at L4 give better value?

Generally what do you generally prefer to do?
I do both for variation. That's because I almost only do L4 interval training.

I find 20 minutes at a time on the indoor trainer, plain torture for my backside. So I do 5 x 8 minutes @ 105% FTP, and get of and stretch and do lunges to take the hurt out of my ass in between. I have no idea if this is good or bad.

3x20 91%FTP out of saddle in the 52/11 gears every 5 minutes but keep intensity below 100% FTP.

I routinely do 2x20min@>=95%FTP, 2x30min@85-95%FTP, or 1x60min@85-95%FTP on my trainer. I don't know which is better but I try to have some variations in my training.

I know it's not like written in stone or anything and Dr. Coggan said anywhere between 85 and 100%FTP would be considered Sweet Spot, but I generally target 95%FTP <= AP <= 105%FTP for my L4 intervals, and 85%FTP <= AP <= 95%FTP for my SST.

Just my 2 yen.

Ken

The general consensus on this forum is volume at moderate L4 over intensity, but you'll need the higher L4 intensity to "peak" your FTP for the year. Trouble is if you go out and always do 100-105% intervals it is really tough to get a lot of volume done in the week and it can lead to burnout mentally and physically and you'll end up going backward in FTP.

BUT....if you train very little on your bike...like say three times a week for 50 minutes....then perhaps 100% FTP intervals all the time are a good idea.