L5 S1 Disc Herniation

Taylor S

Jul 3, 2007
i'll make it short

L5 S1 Disc Herniation about 7 months ago. About to start riding again.
pain has steadily decreased with physical therapy, but is still a little prevalent

any tips for training and riding while recovering from a herniated disc.
thanks for the help!

Hey. I will throw in my 2 cents (or pence) in here.

It depends where the herniation is, but I think we can safely assume that the herniation is impinging on the side of the spinal cord. Now, a lumbar spine which is flexed (like it is when you bring your knees to your chest) tends to offer symptomatic relief, as it is the side of the disc which is opposing the herniation site that is under tension and the site of the herniation is not tensioned; making the bulge a little bit smaller.
Generally, when we ride, if you're leant forward at all, your lumbar spine will be flexed.
You could think back to when you do bring your knees to your chest, whether that offers relief for you. If it does, one might say that as you are going to be riding with your lumbar spine flexed, you should be perfectly fine.

Please do not take this as any form of medical advice; and I cannot be held responsible for any harm that may result. Please consult a medical professional to ensure that you will be safe.

The disclaimer I put in might well be the reason that nobody has replied to this so far.

Anyway, hope it helps one way or another.

Vlad

This should be a discussion you have with your doctor and physical therapist. They're the ones that are familiar with your medical history and your rate of healing. The people on this forum do not have that history and with very few exceptions are not medical professionals. Even medical professionals would likely suggest that you discuss this with your MD and PT.

Taylor-> Unfortunately having two of them, it was and still is a long road. If you PM me, I can give you lots of ways of dealing with it and being able to cycle.

Last year I had trouble walking one block before falling in pain, now I can do 2 hours at 220 watts and my last ftp was 245.

-js

Herniated Disc Pain Relief and Treatments Guide.

Herniated discs are a major cause of disability in people under 45.
I am one of those people.
For the past 3 years I suffer L5S1 disc hernia, the most common type of hernia.
But each case is slightly different and that makes it very difficult to treat.
In my case I also have hyperlordosis, scoliosis and spina bifida.
I have been trying countless treatments and supposed cures. I was often left in disappointment but fortunately found some sources of relief.
I'm not a doctor, just a student with lots of experience with a mother which is a doctor.
At this time, despite my efforts, I have reached a point where I need surgery.
But if I have had the experience and the knowledge I have now I could have avoided this complicated situation for sure.
That's why I made a PDF with my experience and everything I’ve investigated and used to relieve my pain over the years.

I offer this guide for FREE to those who ask me by mail to this address.
dibujantesautocadrb(at)gmail(dot)com

Since my insurance does not cover this type of operation I'm asking for help through the IndieGoGo platform. Through a donation you can get the PDF, “Herniated Disc Pain Relief and Treatments Guide”. Through this platform I will also answer any questions you may have about the subject.

If you share this link, make a donation or just give it a like on facebook or tweeter you’d be helping me greatly.
w w w (dot)indiegogo(dot)com/herniatesdiscrelief

There I explain who I am and where I come from, watch it if you can and share it if you like it.

arielbackpain said:
Herniated Disc Pain Relief and Treatments Guide.   Herniated discs are a major cause of disability in people under 45. I am one of those people. For the past 3 years I suffer L5S1 disc hernia, the most common type of hernia. But each case is slightly different and that makes it very difficult to treat. In my case I also have hyperlordosis, scoliosis and spina bifida. I have been trying countless treatments and supposed cures. I was often left in disappointment but fortunately found some sources of relief. I'm not a doctor, just a student with lots of experience with a mother which is a doctor. At this time, despite my efforts, I have reached a point where I need surgery. But if I have had the experience and the knowledge I have now I could have avoided this complicated situation for sure. That's why I made a PDF with my experience and everything I’ve  investigated and used to relieve my pain over the years. I offer this guide for FREE to those who ask me by mail to this address. dibujantesautocadrb(at)gmail(dot)com Since my insurance does not cover this type of operation I'm asking for help through the IndieGoGo platform. Through a donation you can get the PDF, “Herniated Disc Pain Relief and Treatments Guide”. Through this platform I will also answer any questions you may have about the subject. If you share this link, make a donation or just  give it a like on facebook or tweeter you’d be helping me greatly. w w w (dot)indiegogo(dot)com/herniatesdiscrelief There I explain who I am and where I come from, watch it if you can and share it if you like it.
...google alerts

I've disk degenerative disease (DDD) in the lumbar region. My doctor told me that if the pain is unbearable, I'll have to go for diskectomy. I'm overweight and hang before my computer all the time. I've been asked to lose weight and take frequent breaks from computer activity. I don't have a great deal of pain except that the disk impinges on my sciatic nerve. I usually neglect it, but do low back strengthening exercises.

Well, before you ride your bike again, you may have to discuss it with your doctor as biking is a heavy exercise. Alternately, you may try low back strengthening exercises. lose weight if you are overweight and try Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements (after consulting with your doctor).

Cheers!

I've disk degenerative disease (DDD) in the lumbar region. My doctor told me that if the pain is unbearable, I'll have to go for diskectomy. I'm overweight and hang before my computer all the time. I've been asked to lose weight and take frequent breaks from computer activity. I don't have a great deal of pain except that the disk impinges on my sciatic nerve. I usually neglect it, but do low back strengthening exercises.

Well, before you ride your bike again, you may have to discuss it with your doctor as biking is a heavy exercise. Alternately, you may try low back strengthening exercises. lose weight if you are overweight and try Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements (after consulting with your doctor).

Cheers!

You are responding an almost 4 year topic that includes old spam...

G'day,

I'm glad to hear that you're about to start riding again after your L5 S1 disc herniation. It's great that physical therapy has helped decrease the pain, although I understand that it can still be bothersome.

When it comes to training and riding while recovering from a herniated disc, it's crucial to take it slow and steady. Here are some tips that might help:

1. Start with short rides: Begin with short rides of 15-20 minutes, and gradually increase the duration as your body allows.
2. Listen to your body: Pay attention to any pain or discomfort, and adjust your riding accordingly. If you feel any sharp pain, stop riding immediately.
3. Focus on core strength: Building up your core muscles can help support your back and reduce the risk of further injury. Consider incorporating core exercises into your training routine.
4. Adjust your bike fit: Make sure your bike is properly fitted to your body to reduce strain on your back. Consider getting a professional bike fit to ensure that your bike is set up correctly.
5. Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help prevent muscle cramps and reduce the risk of injury.

Remember, it's essential to take your time and not rush the recovery process. It's better to take it slow and steady than to risk further injury. I hope these tips help, and I wish you a speedy recovery!

Cheers,
Ambal