LA Motivating Stage 10 Contenders Uphill

Ted B

Sep 12, 2003
Apparently, LA still sees Ullrich as the top threat, and was using Ullrich's TT ability as a bit of inspiration to Rasmussen, Valverde, and Mancebo today as they were chugging uphill.

From Velonews:

Asked what he (LA) and Rasmussen had been talking about on the climb, Armstrong replied: "I was trying to get everybody to keep riding because I heard the time gaps for Jan and Ivan.

"Everybody here today has to be a contender. They have to put as much time into Jan Ullrich as possible, because he's gonna catch them in the Pyrenees and the (final) time trial."

I think that Lance putting Jan on an pedestal is all a mental game with Jan to put so much pressure on him that he cracks (which has worked for many years. . .). I don't think LA is at all worried about Jan (was worried about Vino but not now).

what he says iis that ullrich is usually stronger on the last week and thats true.

This is another LA myth.

QUESTION : DID ANYONE ACTUALLY WATCH TODAY STAGE AND THE LAST 10KMS ?

If you did, you would have seen LA's right elbow twitching.
So ?
That means he was asking riders come through to do their pull on the front.
(the Rasmussen, Mancebo, Valverde group).

Each of them hesitated and bidded their time : Sean kelly on Europsort even commented on this saying "the other riders won't come through because they know that they must preserve any time gaps in relation to LA and not the remainder of the field. They won't be intimidated into having to take their lead from LA".

So the Velo news story, while juicy, is waffle.

The article didn't claim that he was successful, only that he was attempting to motivate them with a realization (as he said in his own words).

I don't see where any in that small group would gain anything by allowing Ullrich and any other contenders to recoup time on them, which would only reduce their podium chances. I see it as just a common instance of everyone at their limit and no one wanting to work harder than necessary at such a stressful point.

Valverde was only looking for the stage win and not the GC at all. When Armstrong told him to pass in front he hesitated in order to keep some energy for the final sprint, however Valverde went in front a couple of times. At the end it seems he did the right thing since he won the stage.

Valverde was superb, he even launched a small attack previously in the Col de Roselend. Brave rider! Let's see tomorrow.

Banesto team, ups sorry Illes Balears team, is putting its money on Valverde as the rider of the future. In an interview the first day of the Tour Unzue and Echavarrary told Valverde: "This is your first TdF. You don't have to prove anything to anyone. You have come here to learn and get familiar with the race. Then we will see."