La Vuelta Predictions?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Isidor Gunsberg, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. Who's gonna win?

    Jose Azevedo has a real shot.

    Carlos Sastre might be ready to vie for top honors.

    However, I think that Alejandro Valverde will be the one to win La
    Vuelta this year.

    Isidro Nozal will definitely have the motivation to redeem himslef,
    but I suspect that the other teams will keep a close rein on him

    Francisco Mancebo is solid, but it remains to be seen if he can put
    together enough good stages to win a Grand Tour

    Igor Gonzalez De Galdeano and Aitor Gonzales are darkhorses in this
    race.

    It would be nice to see JosebaBeloki place well.

    Iban Mayo and Roberto Heras will be motivated to win, but their form
    seems to be suspect.

    It will be interersting to see if "foreign" cyclists Levi Leipheimer
    and Michael Rasmussen will give it a serious go this year. Leipheimer
    took 3rd in the 2001 VaE.

    In recent years, the Vuelta seems to be increasingly dominated by
    Spanish cyclists, with the race apparently less attractive for top
    cyclists.

    Tags:

  2. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    Alejandro Valverde really is a throwback to the old days of cycling - Kelme
    doesn't have reliable paychecks for him, so he just goes out and wins
    everything he can, from February to November. However, judging by his form
    right now, he hasn't recovered well from his hectic spring and probably
    won't be in good shape for the Vuelta, unfortunately - although he could be
    just playing possum.

    I'd wait for the Vuelta a Burgos to judge about who's in form and who isn't,
    but at this point I'm prepared to tip Aitor Osa, who quietly suffered
    through the TdF in obscurity and already seems to be building on his base
    mileage towards a strong finish to the season, judging by his strong result
    in the Circuito de Getxo.

    -Sonarrat.

  3. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    [email protected] (Isidor Gunsberg) wrote:

    >Who's gonna win?
    >
    >Jose Azevedo has a real shot.
    >
    >Carlos Sastre might be ready to vie for top honors.
    >
    >However, I think that Alejandro Valverde will be the one to win La
    >Vuelta this year.

    Please take note of the fact that Damiano Cunego will be there, looking for
    the GC.
    Another Italian who will try to have a shot at it is Francesco Casagrande,
    though I think the old fart now has very few arrows still in his arch.

  4. DirtRoadie

    DirtRoadie Guest

    [email protected] (Isidor Gunsberg) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > It will be interersting to see if "foreign" cyclists Levi Leipheimer
    > and Michael Rasmussen will give it a serious go this year. Leipheimer
    > took 3rd in the 2001 VaE.

    I was really looking forward to seeing how "foreigner" Tom Danielson
    (Fassa Bortolo) fairs since it may be his first serious opportunity to
    show his stuff.
    Even if he may not be a GC contender, he should be quite visible in
    the climbing stages.

    I say "was" because of the elimination of Vuelta coverage from the OLN
    broadcast schedule.
    A 1 hour recap is not coverage.

    DR

  5. TM

    TM Guest

    "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (Isidor Gunsberg) wrote:
    >
    > >Who's gonna win?
    > >
    > >Jose Azevedo has a real shot.
    > >
    > >Carlos Sastre might be ready to vie for top honors.
    > >
    > >However, I think that Alejandro Valverde will be the one to win La
    > >Vuelta this year.

    > Please take note of the fact that Damiano Cunego will be there, looking

    for
    > the GC.
    > Another Italian who will try to have a shot at it is Francesco Casagrande,
    > though I think the old fart now has very few arrows still in his arch.

    I bet it will make great TV.

  6. [email protected] (Davide Tosi) writes:
    > Another Italian who will try to have a shot at it is Francesco Casagrande,
    > though I think the old fart now has very few arrows still in his arch.

    Speaking of Italians, what about Frigo, Piepoli, Garzelli or
    Savoldelli?

    Interesting to see who T-Mobile will send. Zabel defends the points
    jersey, and is probably more likely to win it in la Vuelta than in le
    Tour.

    MJ;

    --
    ..signature necesse est

  7. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article [email protected], Davide Tosi at
    [email protected] wrote on 8/2/04 7:58 AM:

    > [email protected] (Isidor Gunsberg) wrote:
    >
    >> Who's gonna win?
    >>
    >> Jose Azevedo has a real shot.
    >>
    >> Carlos Sastre might be ready to vie for top honors.
    >>
    >> However, I think that Alejandro Valverde will be the one to win La
    >> Vuelta this year.

    > Please take note of the fact that Damiano Cunego will be there, looking for
    > the GC.

    I thought Saeco didn't want to burn him out, and wasn't going to enter him
    in any other Grand Tours, instead having him focus on the World's in Verona
    and the autumn classics.

    > Another Italian who will try to have a shot at it is Francesco Casagrande,
    > though I think the old fart now has very few arrows still in his arch.

    And what about Garzelli? He should be there.

    -Sonarrat.

  8. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article BD33062E.6EC9%[email protected], Sonarrat at
    [email protected]ail wrote on 8/1/04 8:42 PM:

    > Alejandro Valverde really is a throwback to the old days of cycling - Kelme
    > doesn't have reliable paychecks for him, so he just goes out and wins
    > everything he can, from February to November. However, judging by his form
    > right now, he hasn't recovered well from his hectic spring and probably
    > won't be in good shape for the Vuelta, unfortunately - although he could be
    > just playing possum.

    LOL... nevermind. He was playing possum.

    1 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Comunidad Valenciana-Kelme 3.34.35
    2 Denis Menchov (Rus) Illes Balears-Banesto 0.03
    3 Mauricio Albert Ardila (Col) Chocolade Jacques Wincor-Nixdorf
    4 Leonardo Piepoli (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir
    5 Miguel Angel Martín (Spa) Saunier Duval-Prodir
    6 Marcos A. Serrano (Spa) Liberty Seguros
    7 Giampaolo Caruso (Ita) Liberty Seguros
    8 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Illes Balears-Banesto 0.08
    9 José Alberto Martínez (Spa) Relax-Bodysol 0.09
    10 Juan Carlos Domínguez (Spa) Saunier Duval-Prodir

    24 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Vini Caldirola-Nobili Rubinetterie 1.18
    43 Aitor Osa Eizaguirre (Spa) Illes Balears-Banesto 2.16
    66 Isidro Nozal Vega (Spa) Liberty Seguros 4.19
    75 Francisco Mancebo Pérez (Spa) Illes Balears-Banesto 6.25
    106 Joseba Beloki Dorronsoro (Spa) Saunier Duval-Prodir 8.50

    Valverde is ready to rock. I can't wait.

    -Sonarrat.

  9. 1. Tyler
    2. Levi
    3. Roberto

  10. alex

    alex Guest

    Apparenly poor Dario Frigo has some kind of extremely debilitating virus. I
    read the season is over for him.

    "Mikko J Virtanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (Davide Tosi) writes:
    > > Another Italian who will try to have a shot at it is Francesco

    Casagrande,
    > > though I think the old fart now has very few arrows still in his arch.

    > Speaking of Italians, what about Frigo, Piepoli, Garzelli or
    > Savoldelli?

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BD33062E.6EC9%[email protected]
    > However, judging by his form
    > right now, he hasn't recovered well from his hectic spring and probably
    > won't be in good shape for the Vuelta,

    Didn't you learn anything by Lance's defeat on the Ventoux?

  12. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article [email protected], Tom Kunich
    at [email protected] wrote on 8/2/04 4:18 PM:

    > "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BD33062E.6EC9%[email protected]
    >> However, judging by his form
    >> right now, he hasn't recovered well from his hectic spring and probably
    >> won't be in good shape for the Vuelta,

    > Didn't you learn anything by Lance's defeat on the Ventoux?

    Sure, but I didn't think Valverde was Armstrong-grade.

    -Sonarrat.

  13. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article [email protected], alex at

    > Apparenly poor Dario Frigo has some kind of extremely debilitating virus. I
    > read the season is over for him.

    I would question the reliability of that information, because he's currently
    racing in the Volta a Portugal. He's not doing too badly, at the moment
    he's 36th at 14.57 and Tom Danielson is about 12 minutes behind. It may
    "only" be a UCI 2.2 race but it is of serious physical difficulty.

    -Sonarrat.

  14. gunnar_roadie

    gunnar_roadie New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2004
    I'd like to see Pablo Lastras or Aitor Osa go for a place, as well as my boy Mancebo (hope the first stage of the Vuelta a Burgos doesn't indicate much, as he came in 75th:confused: ). Menchov and Karpets are looking good. I haven't seen a start list. Any CSC riders planning on being there?

  15. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article [email protected],
    gunnar_roadie at [email protected] wrote
    on 8/2/04 5:17 PM:

    > I'd like to see Pablo Lastras or Aitor Osa go for a place, as well as my
    > boy Mancebo (hope the first stage of the Vuelta a Burgos doesn't
    > indicate much, as he came in 75th :confused:). Menchov and Karpets are
    > looking good. I haven't seen a start list. Any CSC riders planning on
    > being there?

    Carlos Sastre and, it's a good bet, Peter Lüttenberger, a solid GC guy who
    just doesn't seem to have the right motivation. And last year, remember
    that big guy, Michael Sandstød, in Danish national colors, doing lengthy
    solo breakaways that never got more than 50m ahead of the pack? That's
    spirit.

    -Sonarrat.

  16. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    Mikko J Virtanen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] (Davide Tosi) writes:
    >> Another Italian who will try to have a shot at it is Francesco Casagrande,
    >> though I think the old fart now has very few arrows still in his arch.

    >Speaking of Italians, what about Frigo,

    He's presently racing in Portugal and he's announced as a starter in
    Saturday's S.Sebastian. If he can get back from the sickness that made him
    very tired and weak in the first part of the year, he should be a Vuelta
    starter.

    > Piepoli

    I don't know much of the present goals of this rider, since I really
    dislike his style. But knowing that Saunier Duval aims to play a major role
    in the GC, I suppose he'll have to act as a watercarrier to Perdiguero and
    Jeker, except maybe for a couple of really steep mountaintop finishes that
    really fit his anthropometric features.

    > Garzelli

    I don't tbink Vini Caldirola has received a wild card.

    >Savoldelli?

    He should be part of the T-Mobile team, as a GC contender. But the Falcon
    has been almost completely out of real racing for more than 2 years. At
    present he's a big question mark.

    >Interesting to see who T-Mobile will send. Zabel defends the points
    >jersey, and is probably more likely to win it in la Vuelta than in le
    >Tour.

    I expect them to go with Savoldelli, Evans, Vino, Zabel, a couple of
    leadout men for Erik, maybe Botero and Kessler

  17. alex

    alex Guest

    Umm!

    Good for him. I had just read about his illness in a pre-TdF issue of the
    spanish magazine "Ciclismo a Fondo". I am glad he is back sooner than
    predicted then.

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BD3422A8.6FA6%[email protected]
    > in article [email protected], alex at
    > [email protected] wrote on 8/2/04 3:15 PM:
    >
    > > Apparenly poor Dario Frigo has some kind of extremely debilitating

    virus. I
    > > read the season is over for him.

    > I would question the reliability of that information, because he's

    currently
    > racing in the Volta a Portugal. He's not doing too badly, at the moment
    > he's 36th at 14.57 and Tom Danielson is about 12 minutes behind. It may
    > "only" be a UCI 2.2 race but it is of serious physical difficulty.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

  18. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BD342199.6FA5%[email protected]
    > in article [email protected], Tom

    Kunich
    > at [email protected] wrote on 8/2/04 4:18 PM:
    >
    > > "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:BD33062E.6EC9%[email protected]
    > >> However, judging by his form
    > >> right now, he hasn't recovered well from his hectic spring and probably
    > >> won't be in good shape for the Vuelta,

    > > Didn't you learn anything by Lance's defeat on the Ventoux?

    > Sure, but I didn't think Valverde was Armstrong-grade.

    There are a whole slew of new riders coming up and we can't tell for sure
    what they're going to be like. But surely Valverde is one to watch closely.

  19. Sonarrat

    at [email protected] wrote on 8/3/04 9:26 PM:

    > "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BD342199.6FA5%[email protected]
    >> in article [email protected], Tom

    > Kunich
    >> at [email protected] wrote on 8/2/04 4:18 PM:
    >>
    >>> "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:BD33062E.6EC9%[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> Didn't you learn anything by Lance's defeat on the Ventoux?

    >> Sure, but I didn't think Valverde was Armstrong-grade.

    > There are a whole slew of new riders coming up and we can't tell for sure
    > what they're going to be like. But surely Valverde is one to watch closely.

    I've looked through probably every current rider's palmares at
    trap-friis.dk, and the only rider that comes even close to Valverde in terms
    of winning abundant quantities of races, of all different kinds, all season
    long is Erik Zabel... and Zabel has never been a GC contender. And Valverde
    is only 24. Either he's on the best drugs on the planet, or we have a new
    Eddy Merckx on our hands...

    -Sonarrat.

  20. patch70

    patch70 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2003
    Messages:
    1,682
    Valverde is looking good in the Vuelta a Burgos at the moment taking the first two stages.

    Gotta put in a plug for Cadel Evans too.