La VUELTA Puerto Rico 2011 - www.vueltapr.com

coquicyclist

May 31, 2010
La VUELTA Puerto Rico 2011 - www.vueltapr.com

La VUELTA Puerto Rico 2011 - La Vuelta, Lighthouse Cycling Tour of Puerto Rico, a 3 day 375 mile group bike ride around the island.
From January 28-30, 2011, the island of Puerto Rico will serve as a tropical background for the greatest three day cycling tour in the Caribbean, 'LA VUELTA Puerto Rico 2011'.

'LA VUELTA Puerto Rico 2011' will take cyclists on a 3 day, 375 mile journey around the entire island. The route passes through some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world, including the lush foothills of the tropical rainforest, serene coconut plantations, exotic beaches, world-class marinas, and 43 glittering coastal towns. Cyclists will also pass by the 9 historic lighthouses (los faros) that gives us our name, “La VUELTA de los nueve faros”. Riders will enjoy fully-stocked rest stops, SAG support, an official jersey, finishers medal, goodie bag, EXPO, massage therapy services, entertainment, and the pleasure of riding with some of the friendliest and hospitable people ever…the Puerto Rican Cyclists.

IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:

June 15, 2010: Registrations at regular price open for the 2011 edition. All the information related to the VUELTA Puerto Rico 2011 will be released in our website, www.VueltaPR.com. DO NOT MAKE HOTEL RESERVATIONS UNTIL ADVISED SINCE OUR DEPARTURE LOCATION HAS CHANGED AND SO HAVE OUR PARTICIPATING HOTELS.

June 27, 2010: The Travel Channel Network will air a one-hour episode of La VUELTA Puerto Rico 2010. Don’t miss it and learn why La VUELTA Puerto Rico is more than cycling!!

August 2010: BICYCLING Magazine will include a complete article on La VUELTA Puerto Rico.

Last year, Bicycling Magazine Online recommended "La VUELTA" of Puerto Rico as one of the sixteen (16) "Best Gift for Bicyclists 2009"

William A. Medina
Executive Director
La VUELTA Puerto Rico 2011
3 Days - 375 miles - 1 unique Island
January 28-30, 2011
www.vueltapr.com

Great video from La VUELTA Puerto Rico 2010:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ztI2fpWbnE"]YouTube - La Vuelta Puerto Rico 2010 - Clasificados Online[/ame]

dfvorbea said:
What gear ratio combination would be recommended for this type of tour around the Island ? 52/39 - 11-23 or 53/39 - 12-25 or 27.

Is there any mountains to climb or most of the ride is around the coast?

If you are using a 52/39 I would recommend a 12-27 minimum. There are some good climbs along the way and with the miles the climbs get tough. If you are not a strong climber you should use a 12-29 or a compact crankset (50/34). Some riders use triple cranksets. The ideal set up would be a 50/34 with 12/27 or 12/29 with Continental Gatorskin tires on aluminum rims. Leave your carbon wheels home. (The roads can be rough on wheels and tires). This will be my 4th Vuelta. You will have a blast!

dfvorbea said:
Well rk0087, thanks for the information. Definitively, I will be taking at least two cassettes for this ride. Here in TX most of the places are flat with some rolling hills and if you go to west TX you can get into some mountains and what they call the hill country. I was seeing the elevation lay out of the routes in PR and nothing seem to be above 1500 ft above sea level. Is this correct?

I would consider myself a decent cyclist, I can avg. about 17.5 to 18mph on a solo basis(training ride) and in peloton style riding can avg 2-3mph faster. Obviously, I will use this to my advantage on this ride. What holds me back on the hills/climbs is my 205 lbs. and I can still defend myself but it can take a toll on long rides. Have time to work off may be a good 15-20lbs in the next couple of months. I dont have to worry about carbon wheels I use Cane Creek Volos wheelset so I am set for the bad roads.

How do you carry your bike? do you ship with sponsor carrier? Do you take it on the plane? what is the best option

Thanks again for your help and information

Hi Dvorbea,

There are several options, one is to call your local airline and find out what their fees would be carrying the bike with you in a bike case (roundtrip). You would need a bike case, break it down and reassemble once you get to Puerto Rico. Many times your local bike shop can rent you a bike case and break it down for you.

Another options is High Country Shipping (HCS) who La VUELTA recommends.
High Country Shipping's role is to provide riders with bike shipping options and make the shipping process as inexpensive and as easy as possible. We send shipping labels in advance and arrange timely pickups.
HCS also provides riders with information regarding the cost to assemble and disassemble bikes as agreed upon with local official cycling stores. After assembly cycling stores deliver bikes to local partner hotels listed on the La VUELTA website.
Before bikes begin arriving to the bike shops, HCS will send each bike shop a manifest of riders that have arranged shipping. The manifest will list the rider's contact info and local hotel delivery info.
At the end of the La VUELTA, HCS will provide shops with pre-printed shipping labels to attach to the bike boxes for return shipping. Once the bikes have been picked up, HCS will inform the riders via email. In the unlikely chance, bikes are lost or damaged during shipping, HCS becomes that rider's advocate. We file the claim and track down the lost shipment.
If you have specific questions, please email John Humphries at HCS. ([email protected])
High Country Shipping
456 Mountain Village Blvd.
Mountain Village, CO 81435
Local Phone: 970.728.1976
Toll-free: 877.231.1363
Fax: 877.231.1365

A third option is to have your local bike shop breakdown the bike for you, send it to the Bike shop (Bike Tienda) La VUELTA is working closely with in Puerto Rico, they in turn will assemble the Bike and deliver it to your hotel you are staying in.

Hope this information helps,
Coquicyclist

La Vuelta Puerto Rico 2010 on Fox Sports Network (FSN)

For those curious in what it is like to ride in Puerto Rico while it is brutally cold in the winter, Fox Sports Network (FSN), will be showing the Endurance Traveler, 'La Vuelta Puerto Rico 2010' episode on Thursday, September 16, at 3PM.

It will be a 60 minute travelogue providing viewers with exclusive La Vuelta PR 2010 footage of this years event, cyclist insigts and experiences, as well as information on recreational and leisure activities on the Island.

Please check your local listings:
TV Schedule