Lacing a Campy Hi-Lo rear hub

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jee Chung, May 2, 2004.

  1. Jee Chung

    Jee Chung Guest

    I am not exactly a novice to wheel building, but my first attemp ever to lace a Campy Hi-Lo rear hub is presenting a bit of challenge for me.

    For those who have tried this, it would have been obvious that the task of getting the inbound spokes of the non-drive (left) side through the spoke holes and out the other side is made difficult by the larger flange on the drive (right) side. I am using 14/15/14 DT spokes to be laced 3X.

    I would like to hear about techniques and tricks from those who have tried this and succeeded. The goal is to try to get those inbound spokes through without scratching up the precious hub or filing the spokes holes larger.

    JC

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee Guest

    Jee Chung wrote:
    > I am not exactly a novice to wheel building, but my first attemp ever to
    > lace a Campy Hi-Lo rear hub is presenting a bit of challenge for me.
    > For those who have tried this, it would have been obvious that the
    > task of getting the inbound spokes of the non-drive (left) side
    > through the spoke holes and out the other side is made difficult by
    > the larger flange on the drive (right) side. I am using 14/15/14 DT
    > spokes to be laced 3X.
    > I would like to hear about techniques and tricks from those who have
    > tried this and succeeded. The goal is to try to get those inbound spokes
    > through without scratching up the precious hub or filing the spokes
    > holes larger.
    > JC

    You will need to carefully flex the spokes from the smaller flange to
    help them clear the larger flange. I put the third set through from the
    small flange side before the final set (light blue) from the large
    flange. As a reference to what I mean by the third set; I mean the bark
    blue ones shown on Sheldon Brown's site at:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html I also let a drop of lubrication
    remain in the small flange spoke holes until the wheel is laced. Since I
    have the threaded part of the spoke already oiled before lacing, some
    additional rubs off into the tightest section of the spoke holes. If it
    gets really tough I suppose you could resort to a little grease in the
    spoke holes of the smaller flange.

    --

  3. Jee-<< it would have been obvious that the task of getting the inbound spokes
    of the non-drive (left) side through the spoke holes and out the other side is
    made difficult by the larger flange on the drive (right) side. I am using
    14/15/14 DT spokes to be laced 3X.

    I would like to hear about techniques and tricks from those who have tried this
    and succeeded. The goal is to try to get those inbound spokes through without
    scratching up the precious hub >><BR><BR>

    Just bend the spokes a wee bit to get them past the flange and thru the hole.
    Spokes are very forgiving in this regard, just don't kink them.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302