Lacing up Brooks B.17

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Luke, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Luke

    Luke Guest

    Laced up one of my much travelled and sagging Brooks B17 the other day;
    I'm quite pleased with the results. Prior to proceeding I had
    misgivings that the (shoe) lace used to tie in the saddle's skirt would
    promote chafing, but the outcome proved these worries unfounded. As a
    matter of fact, far from the laces irritating, their pulling the
    saddle's skirt inwards eliminated chafing caused by the pre-op saddle's
    skirt flaring out.

    The Brooks is now noticeably firmer, (but still more supple than the
    Pro); and when seated, its spine feels less obtrusive. The B17 pictured
    at Wallbike.com[1] served as the template for the modification, my only
    deviation being four per holes per side instead of five. Like
    Wallbike's B.17, only the skirt directly below the logo was laced - any
    further back would interfere with the one bolt rear-set seatpost clamp.
    No drill required: 25 minutes, an awl and a small Phillips screwdriver
    did a neat job.

    If settling into your saddle feels like putting your sausage in a
    sling, try reigning in its middle age spread. Should you decide to
    forego the laces afterward you can always tell your friends it's a
    custom B.17, drilled to improve aerodynamics and save weight!

    Luke

    1.
    Thanks T. McNamara for the URL. Scroll to "A tight B.17"
    http://www.wallbike.com/content/butchering.html

    Tags:

  2. tspoon

    tspoon Guest

    Luke wrote:

    > Laced up one of my much travelled and sagging Brooks B17 the other day;
    > I'm quite pleased with the results. Prior to proceeding I had
    > misgivings that the (shoe) lace used to tie in the saddle's skirt would
    > promote chafing, but the outcome proved these worries unfounded. As a
    > matter of fact, far from the laces irritating, their pulling the
    > saddle's skirt inwards eliminated chafing caused by the pre-op saddle's
    > skirt flaring out.
    >
    > The Brooks is now noticeably firmer, (but still more supple than the
    > Pro); and when seated, its spine feels less obtrusive. The B17 pictured
    > at Wallbike.com[1] served as the template for the modification, my only
    > deviation being four per holes per side instead of five. Like
    > Wallbike's B.17, only the skirt directly below the logo was laced - any
    > further back would interfere with the one bolt rear-set seatpost clamp.
    > No drill required: 25 minutes, an awl and a small Phillips screwdriver
    > did a neat job.
    >
    > If settling into your saddle feels like putting your sausage in a
    > sling, try reigning in its middle age spread. Should you decide to
    > forego the laces afterward you can always tell your friends it's a
    > custom B.17, drilled to improve aerodynamics and save weight!
    >
    > Luke
    >

    > 1.
    > Thanks T. McNamara for the URL. Scroll to "A tight B.17"
    > http://www.wallbike.com/content/butchering.html

    I saw that page when it was posted here a couple of weeks back and was
    struck dumb by the simplicity of this mod, and more than a little peeved
    that it never occurred to me before I went and paid out for one of the
    Selle Robustico (modified Brooks Professional) saddles. I had experience
    d the same chafing due to the saddle width and the skirt flaring etc. I
    may yet perform this mod myself and give my trusty B17 a second chance.
    Although I have to say so far the new saddle is also gold, so there's no
    hurry for it...

  3. Road Man

    Road Man Guest

    How did you like the Selle Robusto? I know this is a side issue, but
    I'm real interested

    Ken

    "tspoon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> Thanks T. McNamara for the URL. Scroll to "A tight B.17"
    >> http://www.wallbike.com/content/butchering.html

    > I saw that page when it was posted here a couple of weeks back and
    > was struck dumb by the simplicity of this mod, and more than a
    > little peeved that it never occurred to me before I went and paid
    > out for one of the Selle Robustico (modified Brooks Professional)
    > saddles.

  4. dvt

    dvt Guest

    Luke wrote:
    > If settling into your saddle feels like putting your sausage in a
    > sling,...

    Luke, meet Dr. Seuss. Dr. Seuss, Luke.

    Thanks for the grin.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  5. Luke

    Luke Guest

  6. tspoon

    tspoon Guest

    Luke wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Road Man
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>How did you like the Selle Robusto? I know this is a side issue, but
    >>I'm real interested
    >>
    >>Ken

    > This recent thread may be of interest:
    >
    > Abbreviated Url http://tinyurl.com/dt8hw
    >

    > Full Url:
    >
    > http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.bicycles.tech/browse_frm/thread/1a9a25
    > b5989dacf4/db0ccfdef7c5ec53?q=cutout+on+brooks+saddles&rnum=1#db0ccfdef7
    > c5ec53

    As mentioned in that thread - its very good. I have now had it for 3
    weeks and have clocked up 770km. The comfort is basically of the level
    where now the seat is just another part of the bike, it doesn't intrude
    into your awareness while riding. The other factor of the durability of
    the saddle - it's still early days yet but I have good feelings about it
    - theres only barely discernable deformation where you'd expect to see
    it and nothing to report anywhere else. All in all I'd recommend.

    Sorry about the OT people

  7. Road Man

    Road Man Guest

    Thanks for giving me some feedback, and I apologize for the excursion
    off-topic. I'm new to RBT, and different forums have different
    conventions regarding topicality.

    Ken

    "tspoon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Luke wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>, Road Man
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>How did you like the Selle Robusto? I know this is a side issue,
    >>>but I'm real interested
    >>>
    >>>Ken

    >> This recent thread may be of interest:
    >>
    >> Abbreviated Url http://tinyurl.com/dt8hw
    >>

    >> Full Url:
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.bicycles.tech/browse_frm/thread/1a9a25
    >> b5989dacf4/db0ccfdef7c5ec53?q=cutout+on+brooks+saddles&rnum=1#db0ccfdef7
    >> c5ec53

    > As mentioned in that thread - its very good. I have now had it for 3
    > weeks and have clocked up 770km. The comfort is basically of the
    > level where now the seat is just another part of the bike, it
    > doesn't intrude into your awareness while riding. The other factor
    > of the durability of the saddle - it's still early days yet but I
    > have good feelings about it - theres only barely discernable
    > deformation where you'd expect to see it and nothing to report
    > anywhere else. All in all I'd recommend.
    >
    > Sorry about the OT people

  8. dvt

    dvt Guest

    Road Man wrote:
    > "tspoon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    >>Sorry about the OT people

    > Thanks for giving me some feedback, and I apologize for the excursion
    > off-topic. I'm new to RBT, and different forums have different
    > conventions regarding topicality.

    I don't think anyone would say that discussion of a bike saddle is off
    topic for r.b.tech.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu