Lack of Good Samaritans

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Undercover Elep

Hi All

Last week I had a lovely crash right next to one of Bournemouths busiest junctions. There were cars
following me and cars stopped on the other side of the road.

Did any of them stop to see if I was alright? Did they b*llocks.

Fortunately, the crash didn't hurt (even though I ended-up in a bus stop).

Has anyone else had any such experiences? I mean, what kind of a place is this!!!

Max

Undercover Elephant wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Last week I had a lovely crash right next to one of Bournemouths busiest junctions. There were
> cars following me and cars stopped on the other side of the road.
>
> Did any of them stop to see if I was alright? Did they b*llocks.
>
> Fortunately, the crash didn't hurt (even though I ended-up in a bus stop).
>
> Has anyone else had any such experiences? I mean, what kind of a place is this!!!
>
> Max

Generally it seems that people would rather ignore you or (as happened to me once) walk over to you
and say " That's how accidents happen you know!". I don't think she understood why I laughed. The
best example in my experience is the berk who opened his passenger door on me at some traffic
lights. I'm on the floor, bleeding but he still ignores me, says thanks for the lift to his mate and
walks off. As a counter- example I remember having an accident the night before new years eve, not
may people about, not much going on, but just before the spectacular manoeuvre that cut my head open
I did notice a StJohn's Ambulance Brigade man, in uniform, with his box, waiting at a bus stop. He
fixed me up nicely enough that a taxi would take me to casualty. I thought myself very lucky, but
never managed to thank the guy.

--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

Undercover Elephant deftly scribbled:

> Hi All
>
> Last week I had a lovely crash right next to one of Bournemouths busiest junctions. There were
> cars following me and cars stopped on the other side of the road.
>
> Did any of them stop to see if I was alright? Did they b*llocks.
>
> Fortunately, the crash didn't hurt (even though I ended-up in a bus stop).
>
> Has anyone else had any such experiences? I mean, what kind of a place is this!!!
>
> Max

I've had two crashes off my cycles in traffic and always had help afterwards, from both traffic
following and traffic halted as a result of the crashes.

--

My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:43:07 GMT, Undercover Elephant <[email protected]> wrote:

>Has anyone else had any such experiences? I mean, what kind of a place is this!!!
>

Not quite. A few years ago I came off and landed on top of a low, concrete fence that surrounds a
park near to my home. I sort of bounced off the fence and back into the road and lay there groaning
to myself.

A car stopped behind me and the driver shouted "Are you alright?" A dumb question undoubtedly but at
least her heart was in the right place.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

> I've had two crashes off my cycles in traffic and always had help afterwards, from both traffic
> following and traffic halted as a result of the crashes.

I, on the other hand, found that even the driver who caused my last crash didn't bother stopping.

> > Did any of them stop to see if I was alright? Did they b*llocks.

The first nasty (non-self-inflicted) crash I had was when I was hit by a car coming onto the
roundabout I was riding around. As I lay there he said "I'll just move my car out of the way." and
sure enough, he bu&&ered off at high speed and no-one offered his registration despite loads of
drivers who *must* have seen what he did. Police were great and posted a watch at the rb for a week
but he must've changed his route.

At that, as I lay in the road a voice call ed out, "Could you move out of the way? I'm late for
work!" I. being stunned, moved - fool that I am!

After that I learned my lesson that after the initial impact lie where you fall and play dead! It
works a treat. Last Jan I was taken out at a junction (next to a health centre where a doc and nurse
came out to
me) and I pulled a bigger crowd than any stunt man might have!

Thanks to all of them shielding me from busses passing, directing traffic and about 10 offers of the
use of mobile phones ("Hello dear, I've crashed again, I'll see you at the hospital")

My faith in humanity was restored.

Robert (4 falloffs and 2 knock offs last year!) McDonald

> I, on the other hand, found that even the driver who caused my last crash didn't bother stopping.

I had 1 crash where I tried to jump on the pavement to get out of the way for a lorry to get past,
and sat on the pavement next to my misshapen bike pulling a broken finger straight with blood
running down my face while the drivers queuing simply watched and avoided eye contact. The lorry
overtook as I crashed.

Experiences like that can be character forming if you're not careful.

I now only get out of the way if it suits me.

Terry J

Status
Not open for further replies.