Lack of Popularity of Cycling in the US

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by PartisanRanger, Mar 16, 2006.

1. poweredbysweat

poweredbysweat New Member

>We've got to get them away from thier video games and TV's first.

Isn't that the truth!

When you look back on various times in American history, we used to hand wash all their laundry, chop and split wood for cooking, hand load coal into furnaces, replace ice blocks for refrigeration, ride streetcars or horses and buggies for transportation, and on and on. All very time consuming...

And Americans today, supposedly don't have the time. The average American watches over 2 hours of TV a day.

2. Olasnah

Olasnah New Member

Not to mention that all High Schools and MOST Universities totally emphasize team sports, and anything involving 'individual' effort is completely overlooked. Little Joey can be on a team, be not very good at what he does, but he can still soak in the victory spoils if his 'team' wins a competition. Cycling? Well you're either in shape or you're not. I think America likes winners, but considering how rare consistent winnners are, every fresh faced kid who fails to win a cycling race would be ostracized(sp?) by their parents. You should see the reactions by Football parents when their kid's team loses a playoff game.

3. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

Actually the cycling scene in college seems to be quite strong, if my experiences with the ACCC (Atlantic Coast Cycling Conference) are any indication. College cycling teams are not sanctioned like football or basketball would be, but at least for UVA we receive funding from the school, in fact the most spending of any school organization.

4. mafnorthcarolin

mafnorthcarolin New Member

I don't the point in trying to get our lazy society off the couch and on a bike. Not that i don't think that its not the best sport in the world but because it shouldn't matter to us who gets on a bike. I mean, think of the repercussions of all of america riding. First corparate america would flood the market with crappy bikes that would cost the same as the quality machines which would cause the price of the real stuff to skyrocket. Second, the road would be full of riders who really have no idea how to handle themselves. Which would get motorist upset, and who are they gonna take it out on? More than likely every rider they come across. I don't care who rides and who does not. I ride because i like it, not because other people are doing it.

5. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Have to agree. ACCC is huge and only getting bigger.

Also, look at the Boston bean Pot race that just occured. Once again the largest meeting of collegiate cyclists. I think it had over 33 universities represented.

It is going to take some time, but Lance got things started. I think the college scene is really going to propel cycling in the U.S too.

Not to sound pompous or anything, but I am the president of the cycling team at my school and I have personally introduced 10 people this year alone to racing, so if everyone does just a little bit of work, we will succeed.

6. PartisanRanger

Cool, what school do you go to? Good job getting all those people into cycling... I tried to get my friend into it but he ended up getting a $200 Wal-Mart Mountain bike instead of a road bike. I was like "D'oh!"

7. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Look at my signature..

See you at WVU??

8. unicos

unicos New Member

Cycling is not popular in the US because it doesnt present well on TV and takes thought to truely understand. America is all about mindless sporting events on TV. Its sad to say but I think this is a very accurate account of the sprots scene.

9. PartisanRanger

Naw, I started cycling this year and didn't think I was in good enough form to race yet. I've been out almost every day for the past month and have gotten to riding comfortably with some of the B racers, but too late to race I'm afraid. You can be sure I'll be training hard this year for next year's racing season, though.

Congrats on being #1 in the C rankings. Do you know any of the UVA C racers?

10. Pendejo

Pendejo Member

I don't think endurance sports appeal as much to people who have no concept of what it is like to operate near one's physical limits. And because 3/4 of American men (and almost as many women) are overweight (1/3 obese), it's clear that they have no concept. They have no reference point from which to appreciate what they are watching.

11. heavy

heavy New Member

There is hope. Here in the middle of the prairie, the weather, distances between towns, and auto culture stack the deck against bicycling. We are seeing a huge resurgence in biking in our communities, however.

Part of the challenge is communication. We tend to be a bit more solitary out here, and just as farmers have never been able to get together to impact commodity prices, we tend to go our own way and have to learn by our own mistakes. That can be changed by putting bicyclists in contact with each other as this forum is doing. I have an email list for rides, just started writing a cycling column in a local newspaper, and we're getting better at getting our needs, wants and concerns recognized.

It's a slow process, but combining the grassroots approach of our cutlture with an Asian long-term outlook will get us there. We now have 50 miles of trails in the Pierre, SD area where there were 4 miles ten years ago.

12. MikeF0209

MikeF0209 New Member

On the same subject, distances here in the US are alot further away than most distances in europe, so most people do not use bikes as transportation, but seeing how high gasoline price is getting... we as a society might have to start rethinking our strategy :cool:

13. poweredbysweat

With bike lanes like this, you'd expect cycling to be less popular here!

14. nomotornozen

nomotornozen New Member

Look at what's happened with motorcycling. In the 17 years I've been riding, it's gone from being tolerated to being much more trendy and mainstream. With so many of the newer riders buying oversized/underengineered and then barely managing to get them from bar to bar on the rare occasion that they do ride, they're giving the rest of us a bad reputation. I think I preferred people thinking "he's a hodlum, but he can ride" to "he's a hoodlum want to be, and what's he compensating for".

15. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Then there are all the people who've never even been on a motorcycle dressed head to toe in West Coast Choppers gear. Maybe if Richard Sachs got some bad tattoos he could get a show on the Discovery Chanel and we would see kids hanging around the mall in "Imperfection is Perfection" t-shirts.

16. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

Idiot.

Cycling isn't popular here because there isn't the youth push that we have for baseball, football and soccer.

17. Markz

Markz New Member

Exactly how I feel. The parents that do push their kids in those sports all think they have the next future star on their hands. The athletic mentality today is not about sportsmanship or just for the simplicity of competition. It is about what can be gained for little Johnny. That is a tough nut to crack.

18. mafnorthcarolin

mafnorthcarolin New Member

Look i agree with you guys that its not popular here because we push our kids in other directions, but i have to say this topic seems a little dumb. I mean cycling isn't popular here but who cares if it is. I got into cycling because it was fun, not because everyone was doing it. Too many people can't think for themselves or be different from the majority. Im not directing this comment in anyones direction, i guess it just gets me upset that people could care what others think of their sport and not about more important things.

19. PartisanRanger

Chill man, I'm just tryin to spread the love. By the way, an increase in cycling's popularity would mean further development of bike paths, more coverage of cycling on TV, more fellow riders, and other positive effects such as these. You and I are not unaffected by cycling's popularity.

20. poweredbysweat

And Less CARS!