Lack Of Self-Respect?

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by Carrera, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Carrera

Carrera New Member

Health and fitness maybe, performance less so. This is time out for me at present. I'm not overly worried about it as you can run yourself too hard anyway - the rest may do me some good.
    I suspect the boat will be up and running in a few short months. Then I can train hard again but wind down cruising the waterways. Maybe it'll be nice to let the engine lug me around at 6 mph. :rolleyes:

2. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

I have a Claud Butler, but it's very old. I'm trying to get it in good running order without altering it's character too much. It's a ten-speed with a screw-on block and 27" wheels, and I want to keep it that way. It's a beautiful bike to ride and especially lively on hills, unlike my old touring bike which likes to take it's time.

3. FredC

FredC New Member

Is that a butt welded frame (one without lugs) ?

4. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

No, it has lugs. It's nothing very special, just a very sweet ride.

5. Carrera

Carrera New Member

You're absolutely right. Let me tell you, for the money, Claud Butler does an excellent roadbike.
    I had my Carrera stolen recently when I turned my back. I got it back eventually but it had been vandalised and I have to rebuild it.
    I purchased the cheapest roadbike I could find as a substitute but I still wanted Shimano gears. So, I tried Claud Butler. This comes with carbon forks and way below Brian Rourke in price. I find it more pleasant to ride than either my old Carrera or my Scott. I would highly recommend this as a value for money roadbike to anyone.

6. FredC

FredC New Member

It's not a fixation, it's a reality check which is directly proportional to my past professional life and todays other world champions chums, both past and present, and we are still are umbilically connected to each other, even though some of them live in other countries now.
    A silver in the CG, that should be easy to find. I'll start with my chums from the East and West Midlands.

7. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I have no problem over your being a top cyclist. If that's the case, then fine. I know hardly any of the cyclists in this country. I've ridden in groups before but the truth is my time is limited so I ride alone these days - at least this year.
    There are all sorts on this forum. There are people of all levels, sprinters, climbers, pro-riders e.t.c.

8. FredC

FredC New Member

Right it took me half an hour to get all the CG silver medallists from my chums in your area. It can't be Colin Sturgess because he lives in Oz, and became world Champion. Now was this chap a trackie or a roadman, and when did you meet him? Phil Griffith was a roadman and was tall. Come on now Crappy otherwise.... you'll be branded as a liar.

9. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I don't train with any cyclists per se. The guy I referred to trained with me once or twice for general conditioning. Another guy who joins me sometimes is a sprinter (i.e. runner) so we have different goals.
    I don't have any real contact with U.K. cycling clubs at all but do my own training for my own purposes. I have ridden sometimes in group rides but mostly time restricts me to solo rides - usually around Buxton area.
    I'm one of the few bike-riders on this forum who's big on combined weight-training which is why I happen to coincide with a lot of track-sprinters (runners). We mostly do very high rep squats, situps e.t.c.
    I could easily invent some fictitious account of my activities if I was interested in blowing my own trumpet but I don't recall everh having claimed I'm a competition rider or that I have much to do with organized events. The closest I got to that was in Navarra where cycling is very big and I did see some of the top Spanish riders pass through my town.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. If the idea is I'm no good as a cyclist on the basis I don't knock about with the right people, I don't see the point or where it's heading. :confused:

10. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

11. NickDavid

NickDavid New Member

it's really not hard for these people to gain pound after pound over the days. Think about it... If you eat a supersized big meal from McDonalds twice a day, you've just gained 1 pound of fat. Most people don't participate in any activity and also don't understand how a metabolism or calories work.

It's sad what is happening to people, but they just need to be taught. Instead they jump at lyposuction and gastrointenstinal surgery.

12. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I tend to have little sympathy these days. I see many smokers as being weak-willed. I mean, I don't object to someone who likes to smoke occasionally the same way I'd take a cup of coffeee. What I object to is the selfish attitude of the guy I described earlier who smokes up to 30 a day and then seems to insist on killing everybody else off at the same time.
    One guy shared his lungs had actually been affected by this man's smoking.

13. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I don't get it. I know people aged about 50 who are so unfit the slightest effort has them wheezing and gasping. They develop diabetese. They have problems even standing up again from a kneeling position, needing to grab hold of a prop to get back up.
    Others continually smoke. I know many people who I doubt will get as far as sixty years old.
    Then you see people like Mick Jagger who have learned to change their ways. Mick runs, swims, cycles and does weights so he makes a big effort to be fit and active enough to enjoy his wealth.

14. Durangodave

Durangodave New Member

I'd love to comment. But darn it, I don't know who Les West is.

15. Dondare

Dondare New Member