Lacking motivation

simmoclayto

Oct 1, 2005
Hi there

I've been cycling for about 2 years now. I was really motivated for the last 6 months. However i just finished a huge event.....now i'm lacking motivation to get back onto the bike.....its been about 1 month and i haven't even touched my bike....My legs are feeling more and more lathargic. I can't be bothered to get up early in the mornings and too tired to go when i get home from work. I still love my bike and building another one when i get home.

Has anyone else had a stint when they lacked motivation for an extended period of time???????? how did you get out of it????? I wish it was as simple as just getting back on the bike.....but its fully a mind game at the moment and i'm loosing!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

simmoclayto said:
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are there other sports that you enjoy?

When i'm feeling very low motivation on the Bike, I'll go run on the treadmill or try something else just to keep me active. I definately relate to your lethargic feelings, they seem to jump up on you after being 'lazy' for a week or so.

I know that it just stems the tide of detraining but at least it keeps the heart and lungs in shape. That way i can make my legs beg for mercy when I get the motivation back. :D

Yes, I was away for a year. I watched some racing and wanted to get back to it but it wasn't until I quit drinking that I did get back on the bike. When I feel like not riding I watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2vAnVtASIE and if that doesn't do it for me I go for a run or mix it up. The weather is about to turn for the worse here for the next week and I will be on the trainer. You have to find the will power and just get on the bike.

good luck

Hey man you love cycling we all love it. Just get back out there now stop waiting. Get through the first couple of hard days and you will be back on top. Just get out there now. You know you want to. Just try it please. I knew you would get back out there.......

simmoclayto said:
However i just finished a huge event.....now i'm lacking motivation to get back onto the bike.....its been about 1 month and i haven't even touched my bike....My legs are feeling more and more lathargic. I can't be bothered to get up early in the mornings and too tired to go when i get home from work. I still love my bike and building another one when i get home.
How'd the event go? Is it something that you're considering doing again at some point, or are there other huge events on the calendar for next year?

It's not unusual for me to feel a bit of a let down after a major event, especially one at the end of the season. What really gets my juices flowing again is thinking about doing better next year in the same event, or setting my sights on newer, more challenging goals to take on next season. :)

Don't wait for Motivation - for anything - sports, study, relationships etc.

It may never come - then you'd miss opportunities - or 1/2 your life!!:eek:

I hate to sound like a self help book - but, unfortunately(or fortunately) that's the way it is.

If you want to do it, think about it & do it. Nikean philosophy + wisdom works for me.:)

simmoclayto said:
Hi there

I've been cycling for about 2 years now. I was really motivated for the last 6 months. However i just finished a huge event.....now i'm lacking motivation to get back onto the bike.....its been about 1 month and i haven't even touched my bike....My legs are feeling more and more lathargic. I can't be bothered to get up early in the mornings and too tired to go when i get home from work. I still love my bike and building another one when i get home.

Has anyone else had a stint when they lacked motivation for an extended period of time???????? how did you get out of it????? I wish it was as simple as just getting back on the bike.....but its fully a mind game at the moment and i'm loosing!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You need to talk yourself out of it. When you say things like "it's a mind game... and I am losing" that idea gets stronger. Take control of your thinking. Decide to nourish those thoughts that are consistant w/your goals. When other thoughts bubble up to the screen of your awareness that are not in harmony w/those goals, think again. Change your mind. Choose a different thought. Be responsible for your thoughts. It's your brain after all. Remind yourself of how much you love the sport. Remember the great rides you have done, and the ones you have yet to do. Think of the rider you want to be next season...

To all who suggest the OP "just do it" ala nike are a little misguided IMO...I am sure the OP has tried to get on the bike. It's that he simply doesn't want to even bother, 1 month is a LONG time to be off the bike but I wouldn't rush straight into it just yet. Take another few weeks off to do EVERYTHING you enjoy off the bike, really try and have a good time! After these few weeks have another look at the bike and give it a second try except this time ride your bike and still try and do those things you enjoy.

Next you need to actively seek motivation, buy some bike DVD's or books and really study it. Then you can start planning your race season and aim for another big event. Focus on making it FUN! If you still aren't having fun and don't enjoy bike riding then I am out of ideas and maybe its time to move into something else with your life and only ride your bike when you feel like it on w/e's for eg? Eventually the passion will come back but you can't force it!

In the future always try and ride your bike after a big event even if its just a few km's a day atleast you won't break the habbit of riding.

bulaboy said:
Think of the rider you want to be next season...
Good idea...thats the kind of thing that gets me motivated. I think of myself being that much fitter with that much more power and being able to demolish so and so on this climb. I also think of what I would look like :eek: Imagine yourself on that new scott you have been dreaming about, And that set of FSA rd 488's you could be riding whilst showing your rivals your back wheel.

I would change that saying a little howver "think of the PERSON you want to be next season" Sure you can be super fit but imagine yourself being happy aswell and having a good time OFF the bike.

I didn't feel motivated last month either - I took about a month off training and just commuted on my bike as usual. Hell, it's winter and there won't be competitons for 4 months - who cares right? Well, I think it helped because last week I started going out for 1 hr rides and I can already feel my fitness has improved (it had deteriorated somewhat) and I feel much more motivated to train now - after a long run of heavy training I don't think taking some time off is a bad thing. You can also plan how you are going to train when you start up again during this time. I also took my speedo off (well I have a new MTB, so I didn't put it on) and I don't use the HRM. I'm liking this new method - no numbers,no distance, no HR, no speed, no power, just riding with a used heavy MTB with 2 inch knobbies that's much slower than a road bike.

This time last year I was studiously recording stuff in a log. Recording my power on a trainer, how much time I spent, and my HR as well. I'll start doing that again, but not for a bit.

-Bikeguy

bikeguy said:
I didn't feel motivated last month either - I took about a month off training and just commuted on my bike as usual. Hell, it's winter and there won't be competitons for 4 months - who cares right? Well, I think it helped because last week I started going out for 1 hr rides and I can already feel my fitness has improved (it had deteriorated somewhat) and I feel much more motivated to train now - after a long run of heavy training I don't think taking some time off is a bad thing. You can also plan how you are going to train when you start up again during this time. I also took my speedo off (well I have a new MTB, so I didn't put it on) and I don't use the HRM. I'm liking this new method - no numbers,no distance, no HR, no speed, no power, just riding with a used heavy MTB with 2 inch knobbies that's much slower than a road bike.

This time last year I was studiously recording stuff in a log. Recording my power on a trainer, how much time I spent, and my HR as well. I'll start doing that again, but not for a bit.

-Bikeguy
Agreed. This is a weird time of the year for cyclists. basically you just have to get through the next few months injury free and happy and try not to lose TOO much condition. Good time for X-training/ GYM work. The OP shouldn't be too worried about a month off because he really couldn't have planned a better time to ahve lossed motivation.

Damn it, all this thinking about training got me to put the HRM back on
but I won't be riding hard.

-bikeguy